Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:55
English to Greek
+ ...
May 7, 2009

Hello!

Windows XP _Office 2003

I wanted to copy the Desktop folder from D to an external hard disk and by mistake instead of copy-pasting I cut-pasted. Now every time I start the computer, it takes the desktop folders from the external disk. If I disconnect the external disk, I get a message saying that I have no desktop. I manually created a desktop folder in D: and copy-pasted all the folders from the external disk to D: but the system insists on working with the exte
... See more
Hello!

Windows XP _Office 2003

I wanted to copy the Desktop folder from D to an external hard disk and by mistake instead of copy-pasting I cut-pasted. Now every time I start the computer, it takes the desktop folders from the external disk. If I disconnect the external disk, I get a message saying that I have no desktop. I manually created a desktop folder in D: and copy-pasted all the folders from the external disk to D: but the system insists on working with the external disk - it doesn't recognize my manually created folder. Is there a way of persuading it to work with D:?

Thank you very, very much in advance

Lilia
Collapse

Frederic Lievre
Frederic Lievre
Ireland
English to French
+ ...
Get the aspirin ready... May 7, 2009

Go to Start--> Accessories-->System Tools-->Files And Setting Transfer Wizard
Click Next
Select "I don't need the wizard Disk" and click Next
Select Others and choose the location (Where ever on that D drive of yours)
Click Next
Select what you want to migrate (In your case the desktop).

I think that should do it

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:55
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Not for the faint of heart May 7, 2009

Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
and check the value "Desktop". Edit if necessary.

Or you could use System Restore, but that can't possibly be as cool as editing the registry

[Edited at 2009-05-07 13:39 GMT]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 12:55
English to Greek
+ ...
System restore? May 7, 2009

I am not sure if it could solve your problem, but it has saved me on several occasions.
Go to Start--> All Programs--> Accessories--> System tools--> System Restore (έναρξη--> όλα τα προγράμματα--> βοηθήματα--> εργαλεία συστήματος--> επαναφορά συστήματος).
Then, you should pick a time point previous to the time when you cut the folder.
I am not sire if it will work, but you might want to try.

Good luck!
Eleni

Evangelia Mouma
Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the brave-hearted May 10, 2009

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions and help in those difficult moments.

The problem was solved by following the most difficult path, unfortunately.
I tried restoring the system - it didn't work.
I got an aspirin and tried the wizard - nope.
Then I braced myself and I tried the regedit - and after a couple of tries I managed to bring back the desktop. Phew!!

Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

deleted desktop file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »