Is it possible to recover Windows XP account password?
Thread poster: uFO
uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 03:57
Korean to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2003

I lost administrator account password for Windows XP. Is there any way to recover it without reinstalling Windows? I set the password last night as I was going to lend the laptop for a week to a friend of mine and I did not want her snooping around my files. I wrote down the password, but today it does not work. I am starting to remember that at the last moment I decided to add a number or change spelling or something. Anyway I have been trying numerous combinations of possible typos etc for las... See more
I lost administrator account password for Windows XP. Is there any way to recover it without reinstalling Windows? I set the password last night as I was going to lend the laptop for a week to a friend of mine and I did not want her snooping around my files. I wrote down the password, but today it does not work. I am starting to remember that at the last moment I decided to add a number or change spelling or something. Anyway I have been trying numerous combinations of possible typos etc for last three hours and it still it does not work. I am about to give up. Is there anyway to recover the password or should I just stop wasting time and reinstall the Windows?Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Something can be done Aug 2, 2003

However, due to the fact that this is a sensible security issue, I will not give you a direct answer.
I suggest you take a look at this link:
http://www.ebcd.i-am.ru/
Any doubt, please contact me directly.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:57
English to German
+ ...
Search for "password recovery" in Google Aug 4, 2003

It yields 782,000 entries of sites who will probably be able to help you.

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 03:57
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i did it!!!!! Aug 5, 2003

Thanks, Carlos Moreno and Harry_B. Eventually I managed to change the password (I could not recover it though). i am so happy i did not have to reinstall Windows.. In case someone else runs into a similar problem, here is the most helpful link I found : http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

[Edited at 2003-08-05 16:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to recover Windows XP account password?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »