Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2003

Hi,

I know this is being discussed on the Italian forum at the moment, but I passed my GCSE Italian exam about 8 years ago and found it very hard to follow!

I'm laptop shopping and most of the ones I'm looking at have XP Home. The Italian forum said something about Pro being better for networking?

I'm really only looking to get a laptop as a backup system, rather than my main PC. Do you think it really matters in that case?

Thanks for any advic
... See more
Hi,

I know this is being discussed on the Italian forum at the moment, but I passed my GCSE Italian exam about 8 years ago and found it very hard to follow!

I'm laptop shopping and most of the ones I'm looking at have XP Home. The Italian forum said something about Pro being better for networking?

I'm really only looking to get a laptop as a backup system, rather than my main PC. Do you think it really matters in that case?

Thanks for any advice,

Joanne
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 21:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
XP Home should suffice; install MS Office XP suite Jul 29, 2003

Greetings,

MS Windows XP Home Edition should suffice for most purposes, unless you plan to travel a lot.

Good combination for your laptop with Windows XP (whichever) is to install MS Office XP (every version includes MS Word XP, fine for most production). That pair provides you with very versatile and reliable capabilities for a range of multilingual applications, such as word-processing, e-mail, EDI and Internet operations.

(As a MS Arabic beta tester and
... See more
Greetings,

MS Windows XP Home Edition should suffice for most purposes, unless you plan to travel a lot.

Good combination for your laptop with Windows XP (whichever) is to install MS Office XP (every version includes MS Word XP, fine for most production). That pair provides you with very versatile and reliable capabilities for a range of multilingual applications, such as word-processing, e-mail, EDI and Internet operations.

(As a MS Arabic beta tester and translator, I have worked with Win 98, MSME, 2000 over the years. MS Windows XP is based on Unicode and is great improvement over those earlier versions of MS Windows.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Russian)
Los Angeles
Collapse

Geir Vikan
Geir Vikan  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:20
Member (2003)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
XP Home not usable in "professional" networks ... Jul 29, 2003

.. as XP Home Edition can not log in to a domain, as used by NT/2000 and also Linux networks, XP Home can not be used in environments where several users want to log in to different computers and expect to find their "own" desktop on any computer - as in a large company.
Also, security between different users on the same XP Home PC is ZERO! So use it only at home, as the name suggests ....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP Home or Pro?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »