heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:28
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

My new laptop runs Vista Home Premium 64 bit (Sony Vaio VGN NS190J, 4 GB RAM). I was expecting some issues with programs, particularly older ones, running in a 64-bit environment. What I didn't expect was that Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 doesn't even install in that environment - a memory-intensive application that definitely would profit from the extra RAM...

I installed Windows XP via VirtualBox. Everything works
... See more
My new laptop runs Vista Home Premium 64 bit (Sony Vaio VGN NS190J, 4 GB RAM). I was expecting some issues with programs, particularly older ones, running in a 64-bit environment. What I didn't expect was that Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 doesn't even install in that environment - a memory-intensive application that definitely would profit from the extra RAM...

I installed Windows XP via VirtualBox. Everything works like a charm, I could install DNS 10 without problems, but the microphone doesn't work (I tried both standard and USB headsets).

- Is there anything I could try to get the microphone recognized by the virtual OS?

- How would that work using Vista's dualboot function? Does anybody have experience using a microphone in a dualboot environment, booting XP Pro, on a 64-bit computer?

- Any other suggestions what I could try? (Except wait for DNS 11 and pray that they decide to make it compatible with 64 bit...)

Thanks!
Heike
Collapse

kefalak
kefalak
Greece
Local time: 15:28
English to Greek
+ ...
You are posing the wrong question... Jan 28, 2009

Hello Heike,

first of all, I believe you are asking the wrong question. You don't need you Virtual OS to detect the microphone, you need it to direct microphone functions to the correct device of the host OS, which detects the microphone.

My proposed actions are the following:
1) Check whether you can record and play back sounds on the host OS (Vista)
2) If 1 is successful for both (play back AND recording), check if you can record a sound in the guest (virt
... See more
Hello Heike,

first of all, I believe you are asking the wrong question. You don't need you Virtual OS to detect the microphone, you need it to direct microphone functions to the correct device of the host OS, which detects the microphone.

My proposed actions are the following:
1) Check whether you can record and play back sounds on the host OS (Vista)
2) If 1 is successful for both (play back AND recording), check if you can record a sound in the guest (virtual) OS.
3) If also 2 is successful, check whether DNS is working. If everything else works, it should work too.

For your checks, you may use Sound Recorder in either OS. I don't have too much experience with Vista and VirtualBox, but I can record and play back sounds using MS Virtual PC from a virtual OS without a problem.

If you are unable to record a sound in the guest OS, check the sound settings of VirtualBox. It may be getting sound input from the wrong sound device of your host OS.

I hope I've been helpful!

Michael
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Note Jan 28, 2009

You can run into problems if you instal XP now, because the order of installing should be older system then the newer system. You have the deatiled instruction here, how to overcome the problem:

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html

Or you could try using other virtual machine, for example VirtualPC or VMware.... See more
You can run into problems if you instal XP now, because the order of installing should be older system then the newer system. You have the deatiled instruction here, how to overcome the problem:

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html

Or you could try using other virtual machine, for example VirtualPC or VMware.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Advanced feature? Jan 29, 2009

I have Windows 7 beta testing installed on VirtualBox, I can connect to the Internet, share folders between the Linux host and the Windows guest (without using Samba), play video and hear audio (though I don't think I get the best of Intel HDA having to use OSS instead of PulseAudio) but every time I try to set up the microphone I get that the computer could not hear anything.

Take for example the fact that people from VirtualBox (before the Sun acquisition) where not considering microphone support for guest OSes just because they considered it an "advanced feature".

http://ruslanledesmagarza.blogspot.com/2008/06/suns-virtualbox.html

I don't know when the Sun acquisition occurred, but it doesn't seem as if they have got very far with microphone input

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:28
English to French
+ ...
Device manager Jan 31, 2009

Does the device manager look normal in your xp?

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update Feb 1, 2009

Thanks for all replies!

I knew before installing VirtualBox that there might be issues with the sound, but apparently some people have been successful with USB microphones.

Well, I'm not among those. I uninstalled VB and installed Virtual PC - the microphone works!

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
FWIW Feb 1, 2009

I changed the Host Driver for audio to ALSA Audio Driver (from OSS) and found that I could use my microphone (jack socket not USB); rather odd given that ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vista/XP VM/dualboot - problems with microphone

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »