Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A preinstalled OS Oct 8, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:
That is odd. I also have the Send To right-click option and I didn't set it up or anything.

Yes, it is odd. This is a Dell machine with preinstalled OS. I wonder if they did not pay for the ZIP compressing feature... My Vista does decompress, but it can't compress and for that I use WinRAR.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:52
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Use a 3rd party software, and a guide Oct 8, 2008

Hi,

The "send to>compressed zip file" should work regardless to winrar or any other software that might have been installed.
The only thing that might not work is opening ZIP file inside the windows explorer.
I recommend using a 3rd party software for all of your archiving meeds:
7zip
IZARC
ALZIP
to name a few, all are freeware and intuitive to use.

But, if using the built-in windows ZIP handling feature, first uninstall winrar or eve
... See more
Hi,

The "send to>compressed zip file" should work regardless to winrar or any other software that might have been installed.
The only thing that might not work is opening ZIP file inside the windows explorer.
I recommend using a 3rd party software for all of your archiving meeds:
7zip
IZARC
ALZIP
to name a few, all are freeware and intuitive to use.

But, if using the built-in windows ZIP handling feature, first uninstall winrar or every other 3rd party software of that kind.
Than check if the regular windows behavior has been restored. If not, and it the installation of the 3rd party software occurred not so long ago I would have tried to use the system restore feature to a time point previous to the above mentioned installation.

If for some reason the entire ZIP support is missing, here is a guide that explains how to restore it
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65254-zip-file-support-restore.html

If the "Send to>..."option disappeared from the context menu you might want to do the following (logged in as adminsitrator):
Click Start>Run and type:
regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
Press ENTER
you unregistered the relevant DLL. Now we need to re-regiser it:

Click Start>Run (if not already opened) and type:
rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto
Press ENTER

The guide and the above method should restore all the native ZIP support in windows.

[Edited at 2008-10-08 20:49]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to zip in Vista?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »