Off topic: The Windows Vista Aero Interface
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 13:34
Sep 25, 2008

I'm no fan of Microsoft, and my initial experience with Vista was horrendous, especially its User Access features and its annoying prompts for every single administrator action. Vista SP1 was also a horror, since it pretty much disabled my network access at random, leading to Internet access problems every 10 minutes. I removed SP1 real fast.

Now that I've gotten past those hurdles, this is the very first time I find a Windows OS with at least one outstanding feature: a pleasing u
... See more
I'm no fan of Microsoft, and my initial experience with Vista was horrendous, especially its User Access features and its annoying prompts for every single administrator action. Vista SP1 was also a horror, since it pretty much disabled my network access at random, leading to Internet access problems every 10 minutes. I removed SP1 real fast.

Now that I've gotten past those hurdles, this is the very first time I find a Windows OS with at least one outstanding feature: a pleasing user interface. I really like the Aero interface, and particularly Aero 3D. It does make the entire user experience far more enjoyable.

Anybody else think so? And has anyone had any problems when enabling Aero? I've had none so far.
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
None Sep 25, 2008

No problems with enabling Aero. However, I don't see any real use of it. Looks nice and that's about all.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aero interface Sep 25, 2008

Hi Anil,

I agree that the Aero thingy in windows Vista adds a touch of panache to your computer, but apart from the 3D flip technique, there's not a great deal else to it; plus it can really slow down your system, depending on the type of computer you have (or rather, its capabilities). I do leave mine switched on though, I have to admit.

As far as SP1 is concerned, a lot of people seem to have had a really raw deal with it, and other updates/configuration problems/etc.
... See more
Hi Anil,

I agree that the Aero thingy in windows Vista adds a touch of panache to your computer, but apart from the 3D flip technique, there's not a great deal else to it; plus it can really slow down your system, depending on the type of computer you have (or rather, its capabilities). I do leave mine switched on though, I have to admit.

As far as SP1 is concerned, a lot of people seem to have had a really raw deal with it, and other updates/configuration problems/etc. It never caused me the slightest bit of bother at all.

I am not the most computer-savvy person there is out there, I know a thing or two, sure. So I must have been extremely lucky in buying the model I did because it is so far (touch wood) proving itself to be very stable: I have never had any of the horror stories that other people are reporting...

You probably know some or most of these 'tricks' already, but I will post the reference for anyone else who strays upon this posting...it is called "12 Vista features your PC doesn't need" (Sidebar and Aero being two of the biggest culprits). Or, if you prefer, "How to unbloat Vista."

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=104177

[Edited at 2008-09-25 12:04]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
Polish to English
+ ...
A Vista for trolling Sep 25, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:
"How to unbloat Vista."

Actually, the best way to unbloat Vista is to install XP...

Aero may indeed look nice, but the awareness of your precious resources being devoured by eye candy would be too hard for me to bear...

Pawel Skalinski
XP fan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Windows Vista Aero Interface

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »