Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:07
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 5, 2008

... which is rather uncomfortable in view of the fact TRADOS TWB uses RTF again and again.

Fact is, there's files that can be saved as RTF (i.e. simple, one-line tests) and some that cant. And that of course are the important files.

Any suggestions? I have office 2007, but would like to stick to 2003 for now.

TiA

Vito

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
one suggestion Jul 5, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
I have office 2007, but would like to stick to 2003 for now.

Try copying the file into a 2007docX and saving it as RTF. (Don't skip the docx.) This'll work with Trad8 & TagEditor. I'm not at all sure if it'll work when you want to use Word2003 as your editor.
RTF under XP seems to be different from RTF under Vista.
I just had to go through these motions myself (resaving an RTF/XP to an RTF/Vista)

Good luck.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
The story continues ... Jul 6, 2008

saitch wrote:
RTF under XP seems to be different from RTF under Vista.

The file originally was a doc file, with a lot of graphics etc. My usual approach is to strip off all those paraphernalia (including TOC and similar). Seems I have screwed up on the way and then Word just hung up on the finished TMP (End of file problem?).

I have it somehow solved, but I'll keep in mind the docx suggestion. And sometime down the road I am switching to 2007. I am not in any way against changes, but, man, it takes all the running to stay in the same place (g).

Thanks a lot!

Vito

PS: OF COURSE MultiTerm does not want to cooperate with TWB, but, hey, everybody got measles when switching to Vista, so why not me...

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
the magic of simplicity Jul 6, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
strip off all paraphernalia

I just tried this (and it works) to get rid of paraphernalia (as you rightly put it):
save a DOC (or anything) as text only: .TXT (Unicode/UTF-8)
TagEditor opens ('All documents') and translates these like you've never seen before (no tags, no fuzz, no nothing --and moreover: you get to choose the font that's used (the Notepad default))

"Export unknown segments" is nothing compared to this solution.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Some more magic Jul 7, 2008

The client sent me a ttx with the doc file - which I have ignored first. But then I said "wth" and hear this! TagEditor worked on the original DOC file without a hitch. That includes also creating the target etc.

One more practical explanation, why Trados developed TagEditor in the first place.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 under Vista cant create RTF files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »