Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 01:41
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Jul 3, 2008

Hi,

I am considering to purchase a notebook in Germany and wonder whether it is possible to change the included German version of Windows XP into a Dutch Windows XP and if so, how.

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

Best Regards,

Sherefedin

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:41
Latin to English
+ ...
Possible approach Jul 3, 2008

When you talk about changing XP I take it you are referring to the prompts, etc.

I have 2000 but it is possible that the commands below are the same or similar

Thare two things you can try:
-- Go to "control panel", then to "regional options" then to "languages".
-- In Internet explorer go to "tools" then to "internet options", then to "languages".

Of course you will still be stuck with a German keyboard, which I assume is probably somewhat diff
... See more
When you talk about changing XP I take it you are referring to the prompts, etc.

I have 2000 but it is possible that the commands below are the same or similar

Thare two things you can try:
-- In Internet explorer go to "tools" then to "internet options", then to "languages".

Of course you will still be stuck with a German keyboard, which I assume is probably somewhat different from Dutch.

On balance I think you would be better off in buying a laptop in the Netherlands with Dutch XP and keyboard.

Anyway, Good luck

[Edited at 2008-07-03 18:20]
Collapse

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 19:41
German to French
+ ...
- Jul 3, 2008

Hi Sherefedin,
Do you mean you would like to see your environment in Dutch?
If yes, you would have to buy the Professional version of Windows XP to get the MUI.
More information can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx

Good luck,

Caroline

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:41
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maybe, but I think not Jul 3, 2008

Thomas Ochiltree wrote:
[Edited at 2008-07-03 18:20]

AFAIK, this only changes the keyboard layout. I've got Swedish set for my UK laptop and all prompts are in English. And I've had to learn the correct keys for all symbols as they are in different places on Swedish keyboards.

However, in my daytime office we have a couple of free standing computers running Russian, Chinese and German Windows. I don't know how this was done as it was sorted by our, quite large, desktop support team. But my guess is that they just got the correct language versions from MS (would have been included in our normal Window's licence). I've also got Swedish MS Word on my computer and that was requested from MS under our current multiple user licence.

You could ask if the German supplier can deliver the laptop with Dutch Windows. That's what I did when I bought my previous PC in Sweden. Took a bit longer, but otherwise no problems. Then again, English is Sweden's "2nd language". Might be a bit harder with Dutch in Germany.

[Edited at 2008-07-03 19:11]

[Edited at 2008-07-03 19:12]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can buy through the Internet Jul 4, 2008

I am considering to purchase a notebook in Germany and wonder whether it is possible to change the included German version of Windows XP into a Dutch Windows XP and if so, how.

I think that the easies way is to buy it through the Internet.

I have colleagues here who have bought through www.dell.com and you can get a laptop with any Keyboard and Windows combination. For instance, you could have Dutch Windows with German Keyboard.

I am sure other online stores offer this possibility.

I think that you cannot buy Windows XP anymore. You might have to go for Vista.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the language version of Windows XP

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »