Windows XP SP2 System Restore
Thread poster: AchimT (X)
AchimT (X)
AchimT (X)
English
Jun 27, 2008

Dear colleagues,

on my system, Restore Points get created all the time, and if I want to restore to one of them, Windows also does everything including the restart and then copying the files over (including showing the progress window).

After everything seems to have been completed, I keep getting an error message that the system could not be restored, no matter which Restore Point I chose. The Restore Service is running, and I have Admin rights.

I really w
... See more
Dear colleagues,

on my system, Restore Points get created all the time, and if I want to restore to one of them, Windows also does everything including the restart and then copying the files over (including showing the progress window).

After everything seems to have been completed, I keep getting an error message that the system could not be restored, no matter which Restore Point I chose. The Restore Service is running, and I have Admin rights.

I really wonder what could have caused this. It used to work, but now it's broken.

Can anyone help me get this working again? I've already asked in Windows Tech forums, but did not gain any helpful insights there.

Thanks in advance for all help

Achim
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:58
English to Hebrew
+ ...
question and suggestion Jun 27, 2008

Hi,

Have you tried to disable system restore? This will cause all current stored restore point to be deleted, and when you will re-enable system restore a restore point will be recreated. Please keep in mind that in this process all of the current restore points will be lost.

Are you by any chance using Norton internet security? If so this might be the cause.

On a more general note I would advise not to allow system restore to take up more than 1 GB on the
... See more
Hi,

Have you tried to disable system restore? This will cause all current stored restore point to be deleted, and when you will re-enable system restore a restore point will be recreated. Please keep in mind that in this process all of the current restore points will be lost.

Are you by any chance using Norton internet security? If so this might be the cause.

On a more general note I would advise not to allow system restore to take up more than 1 GB on the system drive, and even more strongly suggest not to use it at all (it is not a replacement for a backup utility) and use some Image creating software (Norton ghost, Acronis trueimage, etc.) to take a snapshot of the full working system, to which you can restore in case of a major failure.
Collapse

AchimT (X)
AchimT (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Not yet Jun 30, 2008

Hi Shai,

no, I have not yet tried disabling and reenabling. What I have done meanwhile after posting here for help is to sort of reinstall it according to directions found on the 'net, by executing a rundll32 command.

That seemed to reinstall all the necessary files and, at the same time, deleted all my restore points (an unwanted side effect).

I don't know whether it is working now or not, I haven't had the time to check.

The funny thing is, i
... See more
Hi Shai,

no, I have not yet tried disabling and reenabling. What I have done meanwhile after posting here for help is to sort of reinstall it according to directions found on the 'net, by executing a rundll32 command.

That seemed to reinstall all the necessary files and, at the same time, deleted all my restore points (an unwanted side effect).

I don't know whether it is working now or not, I haven't had the time to check.

The funny thing is, it is not working at the office, and not at home either. At the office I use Kaspersky AV, but even if I pause that, it doesn't work.

At home, I am not using any AV tool at all - but I also get the error message that the system cannot be restored.

Now, while at home I might have played with a service I shouldn't have touched (not that I am aware of it, but you never know), at the office I most definitely would not have touched anything that takes the system away from the default.

I'm really lost...

Thanks for your help Shai!

Achim
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP SP2 System Restore

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »