Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:32
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 22, 2008

Hi,Hoping somebody will be awake late or early who can help me out.I am working with the Trados workbench, a couple of online dictionaries and of course websites.My Vista OS tells me that I don't have enough virtual memory. Subsequently everything on the screen starts to slowly collapse one by one. After a restart it is as good as new.I've found the tab for setup of virtual memory, but don't know how to proceed from there.The maximum available virtual memory is 79710 and it is automatically set ... See more
Hi,Hoping somebody will be awake late or early who can help me out.I am working with the Trados workbench, a couple of online dictionaries and of course websites.My Vista OS tells me that I don't have enough virtual memory. Subsequently everything on the screen starts to slowly collapse one by one. After a restart it is as good as new.I've found the tab for setup of virtual memory, but don't know how to proceed from there.The maximum available virtual memory is 79710 and it is automatically set by Acer to 6118 MB.Well, curious if this will ring a bell......and any helpful pointers will be much appreciated.

[Edited at 2008-05-22 20:49]
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:32
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Locate the culprit May 23, 2008

Something is using up your memory. As a first quick solution set the virtual memory in Windows to "System managed size", not to "Custom size". I can't give exact instructions how to do that in Vista, since I don't have one, but you said you'd found where the virtual memory setup is.
When you remove the upper limit on virtual memory, Windows will grow it as neccessary. While this happens, the system will slow down noticeably. But it should not lead to crashes.
But this is just a provi
... See more
Something is using up your memory. As a first quick solution set the virtual memory in Windows to "System managed size", not to "Custom size". I can't give exact instructions how to do that in Vista, since I don't have one, but you said you'd found where the virtual memory setup is.
When you remove the upper limit on virtual memory, Windows will grow it as neccessary. While this happens, the system will slow down noticeably. But it should not lead to crashes.
But this is just a provisional workaround. You need to find the application that is using all the memory. Start Task Manager, select the Processes tab, then from the View menu choose Select columns. From the dialog turn on the positions Memory usage and Virtual memory size (this is how it's done in previosu versions of Windows, hopefully in Vista it is the same). Leave Task Manager open, just minimize it. From time to time have a look at it and check which processes have the biggest values for Memory usage and Virtual memory size. These processes are the most likely ones that are using all the memory. And when you identify them, either find newer versions of the software products without this bug, or just stop using them.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

virtual memory full

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »