Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2008

I have a laptop running windows XP. I have installed the latest Sun Java updates but I have several java-driven apps which refuse to work: I get an error message telling me the certificate cannot be validated.

I am sure of the host site and am told this is a problem with my root certificates. I have tried windows update and installing windows components via the control panel, but I can't find any way of reinstalling these root certificates (there seems to be plenty about disabling t
... See more
I have a laptop running windows XP. I have installed the latest Sun Java updates but I have several java-driven apps which refuse to work: I get an error message telling me the certificate cannot be validated.

I am sure of the host site and am told this is a problem with my root certificates. I have tried windows update and installing windows components via the control panel, but I can't find any way of reinstalling these root certificates (there seems to be plenty about disabling them, but not about enabling them...).

Has anyone experienced similar issues and/or does anyone know how to fix them?
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:24
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
These are not critical updates May 19, 2008

The root certificates updates are not critical, therefore you have to select them manually, when you use the Windows Update site. They are under the Optional Updates section, or whatever it is called.
Actually, even if a certificate cannot be validated, this is no reason for the host application to stop executing the Java code. If you use Internet Explorer 7, the error message is quite confusing and can easily lead the user to fail to notice that he/she can actually continue to use the sit
... See more
The root certificates updates are not critical, therefore you have to select them manually, when you use the Windows Update site. They are under the Optional Updates section, or whatever it is called.
Actually, even if a certificate cannot be validated, this is no reason for the host application to stop executing the Java code. If you use Internet Explorer 7, the error message is quite confusing and can easily lead the user to fail to notice that he/she can actually continue to use the site or the applet, even if there are problems with the certificate.
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more details May 19, 2008

Thanks. Do you have an exact link? I can't find a relevant list on the update site.

My exact problem is a couple of java-based applications which don't run through a browser. One is a database updated from a host source and the other is a chat application. Both times, the Java launches and then I get an error message saying the certificate cannot be validated and inviting me to close the application; there is no other alternative. The detailed error message starts by talking about a
... See more
Thanks. Do you have an exact link? I can't find a relevant list on the update site.

My exact problem is a couple of java-based applications which don't run through a browser. One is a database updated from a host source and the other is a chat application. Both times, the Java launches and then I get an error message saying the certificate cannot be validated and inviting me to close the application; there is no other alternative. The detailed error message starts by talking about a "keystroke error"... Both apps work fine on my desktop.
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sorry, no link May 19, 2008

Sorry, but I can't supply a link. Actually, it turns out that by default Windows XP updates the certificates by its own, without even asking:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457160.aspx
Although the component in question is optional, it is installed by default.
Anyway, if you don't see a Root certificates update in the list of both critical and opti
... See more
Sorry, but I can't supply a link. Actually, it turns out that by default Windows XP updates the certificates by its own, without even asking:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457160.aspx
Although the component in question is optional, it is installed by default.
Anyway, if you don't see a Root certificates update in the list of both critical and optional updates on the Windows update site, maybe you just have the latest list installed via this component. And then there would be some other reason for the errors.
As a last resort, you could manually export the missing certificate(s) from your desktop machine and import them to the other computer.
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More thanks May 19, 2008

...where would I look on my desktop machine??

Boyan Brezinsky
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
IE May 19, 2008

Internet Explorer -> Properties (or Tools - Options) -> Content -> Certificates -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities, Trusted Publishers, etc.
At least I hope exporting from there will work I don't recall ever needing to export these kinds of certificates, so although in theory there should be no problems, I don't know what will happen in practice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

updating root certificates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »