Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
When you format a PC, does the OS get deleted?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 12:22
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Shai Apr 27, 2008

Shai Nave wrote:

I think that it is best to recover your system and than install only what you need in order to work with the laptop. It is the easier solution.

If you need any more assistance just let me know. I hope that it will help you.

Thank you very much, Shai,

That is exactly what I plan to do. In Acer systems e-recovery manager is indeed what is needed to create the recovery files. Thank you for offering to help. I'll let you know.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 03:22
English to Spanish
Yess, I know about that! Apr 27, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Word starts giving me error messages, something about Visual Basic (I don't remember exactly what, as I haven't used that PC in a while).

It's so annoying! Well, what I did the last time it happened to me, was trying to create ("record"?) a new "Macro" (on Word). I really don't know if I succeeded, but the error message stopped appearing, and I could rest.

What followed next, was this:

Try this before you record a new Macro, and let us know.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sick and tired... Apr 27, 2008

Well, I reformatted my hard drive. It was a piece of cake and it didn't take any more than 10 minutes.

Then, I reinstalled Office 2003 and Trados 7.

This time, things are worse than before.

At Trados setup, I have to prescribe five languages, so I choose the ones I work in. Trados chooses to include not the languages I want, but the first five in the list: Arabic, Czech, Chinese, Catalan and B???

And of course, when I try to open segments in Wo
... See more
Well, I reformatted my hard drive. It was a piece of cake and it didn't take any more than 10 minutes.

Then, I reinstalled Office 2003 and Trados 7.

This time, things are worse than before.

At Trados setup, I have to prescribe five languages, so I choose the ones I work in. Trados chooses to include not the languages I want, but the first five in the list: Arabic, Czech, Chinese, Catalan and B???

And of course, when I try to open segments in Word, I get the message "Workbench isn't running".

At Word opening I get the message "Visual Basic - Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec".
At Word exit I get the message "Visual Basic - Compile error in hidden module: MTMultiTerm Menu".

I think I'm gonna sell my laptop to a non-translator and forget I ever had it...

[Edited at 2008-04-27 19:33]

[Edited at 2008-04-27 20:18]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
Oh, my God... Apr 27, 2008

First of all, go to sleep and get a rest. Tomorrow, think about the following:

Have you considered that your Trados software could be corrupted, contaminated, polluted, infected? If you have a good anti-virus, use it for your Trados, and wait to see.

One more thing: does your Trados licence allows you to install on another laptop/computer? If yes, does it behave the same on your PC?

See you tomorrow.

[Edited at 2008-04-27 20:08]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I WILL SURVIVE!! :) Apr 27, 2008

It's the same CD they had given me from the Trados rep. I last used it successfully in January on my desktop PC. The problem on the laptop had come about before that.

My license does allow me to install it on other PC's.

I'm happy I have a computer on which Trados works properly.

It's Easter Sunday today and I'm worried about Trados. It's so embarrassing...

Good night to everyon
... See more
It's the same CD they had given me from the Trados rep. I last used it successfully in January on my desktop PC. The problem on the laptop had come about before that.

My license does allow me to install it on other PC's.

I'm happy I have a computer on which Trados works properly.

It's Easter Sunday today and I'm worried about Trados. It's so embarrassing...

Good night to everyone!
Collapse

Thorson
Thorson
Local time: 11:22
Danish to English
Next time, backup your clean install Apr 27, 2008

Next time you get a new computer, after you've got it setup the way you like, back it up with Drive Image XML, which is an excellent free program.

This creates a perfect image of the harddrive which can be used to restore it to that state--operating system and all, and you won't even have to re-register windows.

It's also much faster than copying files. A typical restore will take about an hour.

It's also the easiest way to make regular backups as you don'
... See more
Next time you get a new computer, after you've got it setup the way you like, back it up with Drive Image XML, which is an excellent free program.

This creates a perfect image of the harddrive which can be used to restore it to that state--operating system and all, and you won't even have to re-register windows.

It's also much faster than copying files. A typical restore will take about an hour.

It's also the easiest way to make regular backups as you don't have to select what to backup--you're backing up the entire drive.

To restore the drive with the operating system, you'll need to make a Bart's PE disk which you can then boot the computer to and run Drive Image XML from. Instructions are on the Drive Image XML website.

I hope you have a friend who's a nerd to help you.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Possible reasin Apr 28, 2008

From a short research (I'm using Office 2007) I jave found that these errors are related to Adobe Reader and/or Norton antivirus: Do you use any of which?

Here is the official MS solution http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307410&product=xl2002

I can recommend the use of a small software called Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat
... See more
From a short research (I'm using Office 2007) I jave found that these errors are related to Adobe Reader and/or Norton antivirus: Do you use any of which?

Here is the official MS solution http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307410&product=xl2002

I can recommend the use of a small software called Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat
it is small, just download the file>unzip it> and run the program from the single file http://downloads.foxitsoftware.com/foxitreader/FoxitReader23.zip.

Regarding you Trados problem. It sounds like a glitch in the installation Process. Uninstall it and install it again.

It is important not to give up, but if you find yourself too occupied with this, than go to a computer technician. It is important to remember that the computer itself is hardly ever the problem. It is the computability issues and other issues of the windows OS that cause most of tje problems, so no need to sell the laptop....

Id you need any furher help or advise please keep posting.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 6.5 just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apr 28, 2008

Well, I found an old Trados 6.5 CD and I thought I'd try it.
Well, it works just fine! No error messages, nothing!
The only problem is TM's from v.7 don't work with v.6.5. But I'll work sth out.... Besides, I don't use that backup PC very often. But, then again, what's the point in having a backup PC if it doesn't work like the main PC?

However, Trados works fine.

Does this mean that my CD
... See more
Well, I found an old Trados 6.5 CD and I thought I'd try it.
Well, it works just fine! No error messages, nothing!
The only problem is TM's from v.7 don't work with v.6.5. But I'll work sth out.... Besides, I don't use that backup PC very often. But, then again, what's the point in having a backup PC if it doesn't work like the main PC?

However, Trados works fine.

Does this mean that my CD with 7 is corrupted? And then, how did I install it on the desktop PC? I need to say that I installed Trados 7 on my desktop AFTER it had started refusing to work on the laptop and the same CD that wouldn't work with one computer, worked with the other.

So... lived happily ever after!!!

Thank you all for your guidance!!

[Edited at 2008-04-28 17:23]

[Edited at 2008-04-28 18:13]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
That's good news!! Apr 28, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:
The only problem is TM's from v.7 don't work with v.6.5.

Now, you just export your TMs as .txt; delete the first line saying "TWBExportFile version="7.0" generator="TW4Win" build="7.1.0.???"" and import them into a new Trados v. 6.5 TM. That should work.

Greetings!!

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!!! Apr 28, 2008

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When you format a PC, does the OS get deleted?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »