HELP - Keyboard Language Problem and others...
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 22:39
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 20, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I use English and Greek languages on my keyboard (Windows XP). Since yesterday, I have noticed that my computer has a strange behavior:

1) Even though I have installed both English (US) and Greek languages on the computer (and I can see they are installed through the language toolbar), I can only write in the default language and I can't change the language using Alt+Shift/ Language toolbar no matter what... I tried to unistall/ reinstall the languages,
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I use English and Greek languages on my keyboard (Windows XP). Since yesterday, I have noticed that my computer has a strange behavior:

1) Even though I have installed both English (US) and Greek languages on the computer (and I can see they are installed through the language toolbar), I can only write in the default language and I can't change the language using Alt+Shift/ Language toolbar no matter what... I tried to unistall/ reinstall the languages, but the problem wasn't solved.

2) After each restart, my computer doesn't seem to remember things, for instance I have to define each time that I want language toolbar and quick start toolbar at the bottom desktop toolbar. This didn't happen until I last shut down yesterday.

3) All desktop icons aren't transparent, as they used to be until yesterday, but they are blue.

The one thing I did yesterday, which I hadn't done in the past, was to try to transfer images (copy/ paste) from a Word file to my desktop. I was asked if I wanted to have the image copied to some temporary file, I answered yes, and then all my desktop icons turned blue. Afterwards, I shut down the computer and when I restarted it today, I noticed all the problems above.

Do you have any idea as to what might be wrong and what I might need to do to come over all these? I am particularly concerned about the language shift problem, as Greek alphabet is totally different that Latin and each time I need to shift language I have to change the default language, close and reopen the file on which I want to work...

Thank you!
E.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beyond any understanding... Apr 20, 2008

I tried a bit with several functions regarding desktop arrangement and system settings in the Control Panel, and the problems were resolved. All that is left now is the blue icons. I have no idea what I did that fixed the problem. I am really happy about it, however any explanation would be welcome...

Sometimes all this computer stuff makes me feel so helpless...

AniseK
AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 03:39
Japanese to English
+ ...
It happened to me too... Apr 21, 2008

Hi,

Your problems sound so familiar, and the best part, I am still clueless as to what is happening with my computer. Have you checked your virtual memory? That is my main problem, once the virtual memory - don't ask me what it does - hit a certain level, some of the computer functions goes down.

Hope to hear from others too. Especially on the language tool bar, because I have to reset the default settings everytime I need to switch languages. I mean, if it is a defaul
... See more
Hi,

Your problems sound so familiar, and the best part, I am still clueless as to what is happening with my computer. Have you checked your virtual memory? That is my main problem, once the virtual memory - don't ask me what it does - hit a certain level, some of the computer functions goes down.

Hope to hear from others too. Especially on the language tool bar, because I have to reset the default settings everytime I need to switch languages. I mean, if it is a default setting, then we don't have to reset it everytime we need it, right?

Regards,
Anisah
Collapse

Inès Dopagne
Inès Dopagne
France
Local time: 21:39
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Keyboard Problem Apr 21, 2008

Hi Elena
Why did you not try to recover your system in a state before this problem occurs.
Press F8 When you boot your PC
Choose start Windows with the best configuration
Hope that can resolve your problem
Inès Dopagne
Arabic-French-English translator

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Blue Icons background Apr 22, 2008

Hi,

I assume that the text of the icons have a blue background.
To solve this:
1) Right click on My Computer - Properties- advanced tab.
2) Under Performance, click Settings.
3) Check the box for "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" in the list.
4) Apply and exit.

I hope that this is what you referred to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP - Keyboard Language Problem and others...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »