Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Urgent: please convince me to get MS Windows XP Professional...
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Boyan Kostadinov
Boyan Kostadinov  Identity Verified
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Celeron Should Do Apr 8, 2003

Yes, given the choice to go with a Celeron, it would be a good thing to consider. However, that depends on the price difference. Don\'t beleive any of that stuff about needing a P4 to run today\'s software. It\'s typical sales campaing and it\'s amazing how many people buy it.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you thank you thank you Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 03:10, boyank wrote:

Don\'t beleive any of that stuff about needing a P4 to run today\'s software. It\'s typical sales campaing and it\'s amazing how many people buy it.

People buy it because they do not have a techie hero looking after them

Thank you also \"sylver\" for confirming it is not worth upgr... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 03:10, boyank wrote:

Don\'t beleive any of that stuff about needing a P4 to run today\'s software. It\'s typical sales campaing and it\'s amazing how many people buy it.

People buy it because they do not have a techie hero looking after them

Thank you also \"sylver\" for confirming it is not worth upgrading to Office XP. I am happy the savings will allow me to put more money into the memory and second drive. I am so happy I posted this question, now I am confident about spending good money on a good product.

Thank you all so very much, and to Boyan for so gently enlightening me

Good night to all from snowy New York.

S. ▲ Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
It is indeed snowy in NY Apr 8, 2003

My pleasure Susana.

Yup, it\'s snowing in Central NY too and it bites. I\'m sick of this snow, I want to work on my porch with my laptop for a change

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
celeron vs. pentium (i.e., it ain't over until it's over :-) Apr 8, 2003

I ran a comparison, and the system with Pentium processor would be only $100 more expensive than the system with Celeron processor (same 2.0GHz on either one).

However, I am the kind of person who can think of plenty of other things I could do with an extra $100 in my pocket...so I will go to bed now, and hopefully when I wake up tomorrow I will find a few opinions as to whether or not it is really worth it to go for the extra expense.

Buenas noches ... See more
I ran a comparison, and the system with Pentium processor would be only $100 more expensive than the system with Celeron processor (same 2.0GHz on either one).

However, I am the kind of person who can think of plenty of other things I could do with an extra $100 in my pocket...so I will go to bed now, and hopefully when I wake up tomorrow I will find a few opinions as to whether or not it is really worth it to go for the extra expense.

Buenas noches

S.
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 21:15
French to English
+ ...
If I may come in Apr 8, 2003

I find all this technical stuff very hepful as I\'m not very \'tekkie\' either.

I have recently bought a new computer with Athlon and XP Home and I\'m very pleased with it. It also came with DVD and CD-RW drives.

Boyan, I\'m curious about something you said:

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 02:35, boyank wrote:

I would also recommend a DVD or CD-Rom drive on top of your CDR-W. Usu... See more
I find all this technical stuff very hepful as I\'m not very \'tekkie\' either.

I have recently bought a new computer with Athlon and XP Home and I\'m very pleased with it. It also came with DVD and CD-RW drives.

Boyan, I\'m curious about something you said:

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 02:35, boyank wrote:

I would also recommend a DVD or CD-Rom drive on top of your CDR-W. Usually, it\'s not a good idea to use your burner as a regular CD-Rom (I\'m talking from experience).

Why is it not a good idea to use the burner as a regular CD-Rom? There doesn\'t seem to be any room to put in an ordinary CD-Rom drive as well (i.e. no blanked-off space). I play audio CDs on the computer fairly often as my hi-fi system is very old and only does cassettes and, would you believe, records (remember them?)!

P.S. It\'s sunny here in France but the wind is b***** cold. ▲ Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
French to English
Concur Apr 8, 2003

Hi,

I think you\'ve gotten good advice: Celeron, Office 2000, DVD and CD-RW drives, 256 MB RAM is enough (but 512 MB gives you more room for growth) ...

You didn\'t say anything about the monitor, or speakers. I like large Viewsonic monitors at high refresh rates and Cambridge Soundworks speakers.

If you intended to edit digital photos or do similar graphics editing you will want to start with 1 GB RAM.

Bruce

Andreia Silva
Andreia Silva  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, Apr 8, 2003

[/quote]

P.S. Anyone enjoying a sunny day, anywhere?

Yes, in Portugal. It is really a sunny, hot day!

Cheers

Boyan Kostadinov
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
The Major Difference between P4 and Celeron Apr 8, 2003

The major difference between celeron and the Pentium line of CPUs (at the same speed of course) is the CPU cache. The P4 can come with up to 512K L2 cache while the Celerons usually come with 128K. That is a significant difference but then again if you don\'t need the extra speed (the extra cache on the CPU means instructions to the CPU can get executed faster) don\'t spend the extra money.

For the longest time I had a Dual CPU machine with 2 Celerons 366Mhz. They can still
... See more
The major difference between celeron and the Pentium line of CPUs (at the same speed of course) is the CPU cache. The P4 can come with up to 512K L2 cache while the Celerons usually come with 128K. That is a significant difference but then again if you don\'t need the extra speed (the extra cache on the CPU means instructions to the CPU can get executed faster) don\'t spend the extra money.

For the longest time I had a Dual CPU machine with 2 Celerons 366Mhz. They can still compare to any 1Ghz machine out there now.

So the conclusion is, save your $100 and get the Celeron unless you know you need the extra power.
Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Why not to use your CD-RW as regular CD-Rom Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

Why is it not a good idea to use the burner as a regular CD-Rom? There doesn\'t seem to be any room to put in an ordinary CD-Rom drive as well (i.e. no blanked-off space). I play audio CDs on the computer fairly often as my hi-fi system is very old and only does cassettes and, would you believe, records (remember them?)!

Usually a CD-Rom drive gets much more used than a CD-RW drive. CD-Rom driv... See more
Quote:

Usually a CD-Rom drive gets much more used than a CD-RW drive. CD-Rom drives are subject to wear and tear and the more you use it, the more likely it is to stop working (I can\'t count how many DVD drives I\'ve had to replac just because they stopped working after a while). So considering you want to preserve your CD-RW drive and having burn cds for you for a long time, you shouldn\'t subject it to the normal wear and tear you can subject a regular CD-Rom.

However, in your case, if I understood you correctly, your PC came with a DVD drive. Any DVD drive can also read CDs so it also doubles as a CD-Rom drive. So, as long as you use your DVD drive to play CDs, you will be fine. ▲ Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 21:15
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for explaining Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 14:20, boyank wrote:

Usually a CD-Rom drive gets much more used than a CD-RW drive. CD-Rom drives are subject to wear and tear and the more you use it, the more likely it is to stop working (I can\'t count how many DVD drives I\'ve had to replac just because they stopped working after a while). So considering you want to preserve your CD-RW drive and having burn cds for you for a long time, you shouldn\'t subje... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 14:20, boyank wrote:

Usually a CD-Rom drive gets much more used than a CD-RW drive. CD-Rom drives are subject to wear and tear and the more you use it, the more likely it is to stop working (I can\'t count how many DVD drives I\'ve had to replac just because they stopped working after a while). So considering you want to preserve your CD-RW drive and having burn cds for you for a long time, you shouldn\'t subject it to the normal wear and tear you can subject a regular CD-Rom.

However, in your case, if I understood you correctly, your PC came with a DVD drive. Any DVD drive can also read CDs so it also doubles as a CD-Rom drive. So, as long as you use your DVD drive to play CDs, you will be fine.

That\'s put my mind at rest. I didn\'t know you could play audio CDs on the DVD player (told you I wasn\'t a tekkie!). ▲ Collapse

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mission accomplished... Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 18:55, LJC wrote:

I didn\'t know you could play audio CDs on the DVD player (told you I wasn\'t a tekkie!).

Neither did I, and I am really grateful I received Boyan\'s advice on the virtues of a second drive, not to speak of everyone else\'s contributions...and I am so envious it is sunny in Portugal

M... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 18:55, LJC wrote:

I didn\'t know you could play audio CDs on the DVD player (told you I wasn\'t a tekkie!).

Neither did I, and I am really grateful I received Boyan\'s advice on the virtues of a second drive, not to speak of everyone else\'s contributions...and I am so envious it is sunny in Portugal

My order has been placed and I am signing off. I have learned tons through this thread, so thanks again to all

Best,

Susana ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: please convince me to get MS Windows XP Professional...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »