Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:22
Flemish to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2008

I have a hard-disk of 500 gig and a version of Windows Vista Ultimate.
Should I put Windows Vista Ultimate alone on that HD or divide it in two parts and start installing Windows XP SP3 and install all translated related software under XP to be on the safe side?
How much would you reserve for Vista taking into account that in due time drivers will be available.
Does the Wow really start here or does the Auch starts here?

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
I work with Vista Mar 19, 2008

I work with Vista Home Premium; my main problem is with HP printer drivers.

All else works just fine (Trados 2007, Transit XV, Dragon NatSpeak9, Translation Office, Word 2003, and more). I should probably mention that I've downloaded and installed all service packs and patches etc.

It is neither Wow nor Auch, it's just another OS. Not sure what the differences are between my version and Ultimate.

Printer drivers and basically peripherals are a pain, but my
... See more
I work with Vista Home Premium; my main problem is with HP printer drivers.

All else works just fine (Trados 2007, Transit XV, Dragon NatSpeak9, Translation Office, Word 2003, and more). I should probably mention that I've downloaded and installed all service packs and patches etc.

It is neither Wow nor Auch, it's just another OS. Not sure what the differences are between my version and Ultimate.

Printer drivers and basically peripherals are a pain, but my scanner works fine and my printer problems have to do with the fact that it's a shared network printer as well. We're going to buy an extra printer to see if having a 'stand alone' printer for my Vista machine will solve the problem.

In case you have a smartphone or PDA, you may be interested to know that Nokia PC Suite also seems to work pretty well.

In your case, I would probably back-up my current system so it can be re-installed if need be and then give it a go with Vista alone.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Memory solutions Mar 19, 2008

Williamson wrote:

I have a hard-disk of 500 gig and a version of Windows Vista Ultimate.
Should I put Windows Vista Ultimate alone on that HD or divide it in two parts and start installing Windows XP SP3 and install all translated related software under XP to be on the safe side?
How much would you reserve for Vista taking into account that in due time drivers will be available.
Does the Wow really start here or does the Auch starts here?
Hi! there is a calculation for this, mostly used by networking engineers. How much working memory do you have? Brandis

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If you're comfortable with XP, don't install Vista Mar 19, 2008

Vista is a disaster: too heavy, too clumsy. If everything works in XP, just install it and forget Vista.

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Works for me Mar 19, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

Vista is a disaster: too heavy, too clumsy. If everything works in XP, just install it and forget Vista.

I'm using Vista Home Basic. I found it quite okay. It looks pretty and boot fast. Better to give Vista some 30 - 50 Giga bytes.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
don't listen to naysayers Mar 19, 2008

vista is better in many fields than XP
20-25 GB for system partition will do fine (my unmodified Vista Ultimate currently uses around 15 GB)

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Vista Ultimate Mar 19, 2008

I use Vista Ultimate and I find customized gadgets very helpful.
I had 2 problems so far: there are no drivers for my old Logitech Webcam and Siemens USB ADSL modem.
(I cannot install my Warcraft III either (it worked well on WinXP), but that's not business-related problem).

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:22
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Drivers. Mar 20, 2008

If it are only drivers: I intend to upgrade the pc as well as its peripherals step by step. In the latest peripherals, drivers for Vista should be included. Besides, I'll keep my old HDisks and can always replace the new HD for the old when this is required for a particular job.
@Brandis: I have a 2.4 GHZ Intel Pentium with a 1 Gig memory.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
The calculation goes like this.,., Mar 20, 2008

Williamson wrote:

If it are only drivers: I intend to upgrade the pc as well as its peripherals step by step. In the latest peripherals, drivers for Vista should be included. Besides, I'll keep my old HDisks and can always replace the new HD for the old when this is required for a particular job.
@Brandis: I have a 2.4 GHZ Intel Pentium with a 1 Gig memory.

1 GB is too less for Vista, even xp sp2 needs about 2GB, 533 Hz DDRAM type. Well then working memory x 2.5 .
Partition size / working memory x 2.5 = OS system partition size. Since your partition size is 250 GB with 1 GB working memory the OS partition size should be 100 GB. I would then split 250 Gb as follows - 100 Vista part, 75 - 100 application area and balance for data. Inyour case it is worth the while to go for 2GB high speed working memory. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-03-20 15:50]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Virtual machines Mar 26, 2008

Hi, I'd just create two different virtual machines: one with WinXP, and the other with Vista. You can then select which one to use on the startup and you won't be bothered by any RAM allocation or similar issues. Anyway, you should split your HDD to 2 partitions and install each of the OSs separately (e. g. drive C for Win Vista, drive D for WinXP).

[Upraveno: 2008-03-26 21:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Vista: The Wow starts here?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »