https://www.proz.com/forum/voiceover/338209-voice_recognition_cat_tools.html&phpv_redirected=1

Voice recognition CAT tools
Thread poster: Mohammed Majeed
Mohammed Majeed
Mohammed Majeed  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 22, 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Hope all is well.

I was just wondering if anyone uses a voice recognition CAT tool in their translation tasks. If so, I'd be really interested to know about more it, and any feedback is highly appreciated?

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best tool free Oct 22, 2019

Computer Assisted Tool to dictate and expedite some impossible to scan / OCR or pictures is as simple as Google docs, sign in, open your document and chose Voice Typing under Tools. If you need something different for service, marketing SSML, IVR, etc... Best and cheap is Nexmo. If you are willing to pay more Dragon Fly software will be your best option and you get everything plus some more...

[Edited at 2019-10-22 19:09 GMT]

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:38
French to English
+ ...
Minor problems of compatibility and major confidentiality concerns with some software Oct 22, 2019

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a "voice recognition CAT tool". However, I use Dragon voice recognition software with Wordfast Pro CAT tool. Unfortunately, Wordfast has so far failed to make its program fully compatible with Dragon, so not all of the features of Dragon work (e.g. selection of text and correcting errors), but I find that it's fairly easy to use the mouse to select text I want to amend.

I'd be concerned about using Google Docs because of security and
... See more
As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a "voice recognition CAT tool". However, I use Dragon voice recognition software with Wordfast Pro CAT tool. Unfortunately, Wordfast has so far failed to make its program fully compatible with Dragon, so not all of the features of Dragon work (e.g. selection of text and correcting errors), but I find that it's fairly easy to use the mouse to select text I want to amend.

I'd be concerned about using Google Docs because of security and confidentiality risks to clients' information.

"Section 11.1 of Google's terms of service says that "you give Google a worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through the Service for the sole purpose of enabling Google to provide you with the Service in accordance with its Privacy Policy [source: Google]." Upon first glance, this raises some pretty strong warning bells for some users. It sounds like Google says that it can do anything with the content you create and store on Google Docs.

"Google claims that the company has no intention of exploiting user-generated content. The Google Docs FAQ states that users retain all ownership rights to their own materials. Google says it included the section as a way to ensure Google Docs can do what it's designed to do. In order to display user's files the way the user wishes, Google must secure an agreement between the company and the user. That way, if the user chooses to publish a file through Google, the company has the required permission to distribute that file on the Web."
https://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/google-docs5.htm

Personally, I wouldn't trust Google's attempt at reassurance. It is likely that its voice recognition feature poses additional risks to confidentiality. If something as expensive to produce as voice recognition software is provided free, ask yourself why Google is being so generous. Given the recent disclosures about Facebook, Alexis etc. mining customers' data, recording stuff surreptitiously, when users think that the system is off, and giving recordings to human operatives to analyse, I don't trust the bastards.

[Edited at 2019-10-22 22:00 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne

Mohammed Majeed
Mohammed Majeed  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Voice recognition Oct 24, 2019

Thank you very much guys for you replies.

When I said Voice recognition CAT tools, I really meant just voice recognition software or App. I think I'll be interested in purchasing Dragonfly, but not sure if Arabic is included as a language voice recognition target output.

I'm currently using an App on my iphone called Speak and Translate; I mean it's ok but sometimes it's not recognizing my speech properly. So, I'm after something better, but not sure which one is Arabic
... See more
Thank you very much guys for you replies.

When I said Voice recognition CAT tools, I really meant just voice recognition software or App. I think I'll be interested in purchasing Dragonfly, but not sure if Arabic is included as a language voice recognition target output.

I'm currently using an App on my iphone called Speak and Translate; I mean it's ok but sometimes it's not recognizing my speech properly. So, I'm after something better, but not sure which one is Arabic friendly?
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
English to Czech
Wordfast Anywhere - Speech feature Oct 24, 2019

Wordfast Anywhere = https://www.freetm.com/

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-05/12/cs/00.html

Wordfast Anywhere - Speech feature
... See more
Wordfast Anywhere = https://www.freetm.com/

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-05/12/cs/00.html

Wordfast Anywhere - Speech feature

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Anywhere_Manual#Web_Speech_Beta

Web Speech Beta

Warning.png ONLY available for Chrome. Currently disabled due to browser security.
--
User have to allow to use MIC.

Milan
Wordfast Trainer
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
If you are a Mac user.... Oct 28, 2019

... the Dictation software comes free as part of the MacOS and includes Arabic (Saudi Arabia) as one of the languages it recognises. I use Mac Dictation all the time and I find it very efficient.

[Edited at 2019-10-28 16:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice recognition CAT tools

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »