Thread poster: Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 19:47
German to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2003

Dear colleagues in the Turkish forum,

I know I\'m writing in English here, that\'s because my command of Turkish is very limited and I know most of you speak this language too. Also, I\'m a translator in Turkey and occasionally translate small items from Turkish into English or German.

Last night I replied to two questions sent by a lady called \"jaqi\", who was treated rudely by the first answerer (unfortunately, I didn\'t record his/her name), commenti
... See more
Dear colleagues in the Turkish forum,

I know I\'m writing in English here, that\'s because my command of Turkish is very limited and I know most of you speak this language too. Also, I\'m a translator in Turkey and occasionally translate small items from Turkish into English or German.

Last night I replied to two questions sent by a lady called \"jaqi\", who was treated rudely by the first answerer (unfortunately, I didn\'t record his/her name), commenting that \"she was only looking for a free translation\". I then answered the question too, telling her that there was no problem asking these kind of questions (they were translations of two SMS-messages she had received and couldn\'t understand).

I answered the second question too, only to find out today, that both of them have been suppressed by someone called Cagday, apparently one of the moderators, due to \"unprofessional, no merit\".

Is this justified? I would like to hear other opinions (preferably in English/German)about this incident (I know that someone called \"Mirror\" commented on my answer).
Collapse

Martina Keskintepe
Martina Keskintepe  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
should probably not have been suppressed Jan 29, 2003

Hi Klaus!

From what I have seen so far in over a year of being a member of Proz is that sentences are posed and answered as well. (One sentence per question)Even if the sentence is long it can be posed and most likely will be answered.

I have only seen questions (terms or sentences) suppressed if the content was questionable.

So if this message was over a sentence long, maybe it should have been split up. In any case, no necessity for rudeness!

Have a nic
... See more
Hi Klaus!

From what I have seen so far in over a year of being a member of Proz is that sentences are posed and answered as well. (One sentence per question)Even if the sentence is long it can be posed and most likely will be answered.

I have only seen questions (terms or sentences) suppressed if the content was questionable.

So if this message was over a sentence long, maybe it should have been split up. In any case, no necessity for rudeness!

Have a nice evening!
Collapse

1964  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I saw them Jan 29, 2003

and did not answer,

In my opinion there seems nothing contrary to kudoz rules about these questions themselves.Best is to move them to easy if it was asked as pro.

You mean Çağlar Özayrancı, Turkish-English Moderator(I think?) http://www.proz.com/kudoz/353034

If you are sure of the question and your answer (There may some really just reasons too),you may contact with Çağlar Özayranc
... See more
and did not answer,

In my opinion there seems nothing contrary to kudoz rules about these questions themselves.Best is to move them to easy if it was asked as pro.

You mean Çağlar Özayrancı, Turkish-English Moderator(I think?) http://www.proz.com/kudoz/353034

If you are sure of the question and your answer (There may some really just reasons too),you may contact with Çağlar Özayrancı.

\"As I learnt recently\" Moderators has unsquash Powers. They may return them back.

Yes,when you answer a question and somebody delete it you feel bitter about it. (Impersonal you)

In General (Not this case) I mostly hold a position that the rules must be changed/adapted if there is a problem with such questions,but if the rule is not allowing squashing, we must refrain from applying our personal perferences as to how a kudoz question should be.

Regards

Collapse

?aglar (X)
?aglar (X)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2003

[Edited at 2006-01-15 23:47]

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dear Klaus Jan 30, 2003

As far as I recall you also have a tendency to squash questions even if they are answered. I\'m the idiot who gave answers (20+ questions to terms not to be found in any dictionary) and as you\'re wiser you\'ve squashed them in a language pair you\'re not good at. If proz implements a feature where people can see the percentage of accepted answers on the profile page, we should do something about the squashed questions. There has been an instance where a lady who didn\'t have Turkish listed in h... See more
As far as I recall you also have a tendency to squash questions even if they are answered. I\'m the idiot who gave answers (20+ questions to terms not to be found in any dictionary) and as you\'re wiser you\'ve squashed them in a language pair you\'re not good at. If proz implements a feature where people can see the percentage of accepted answers on the profile page, we should do something about the squashed questions. There has been an instance where a lady who didn\'t have Turkish listed in her language pairs squashed a proper question. Anyway, these were forwarded to proz support.

There\'s a growing antipathy towards easy, sms-like questions in the English-Turkish language pair. I know that such questions are answered in the EngGerman pair but the percentage of such questions is (was) much higher in Turkish.

There\'s no implication here such as \"Hey you\'re not a Turk, you can\'t answer or decide on such questions\". I myself had to relearn Turkish, so let\'s not get into this kind of talk.

Collapse

shenay kharatekin
shenay kharatekin
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
I saw some words/sentences like these before Jan 30, 2003

In the past, there were many words and sentences like these between old questions. So, why are the new once absent? I can not understand. It is very nonsence.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suppression of questions

Translation news in Türkiye

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »