Thread poster: JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 11:10
German to French
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

Hello,
I am considering of becoming certified, and I was truly interested in taking the ATA exam, but there is nothing scheduled in Ontario, so I had a look at what is available here, and I found the ATIO. Has anyone taken their exam? How difficult is it? How long is the certification valid?
Any insights will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Caroline

PRen (X)
PRen (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Why not Sep 13, 2007

CarolineC wrote:

Hello,
I am considering of becoming certified, and I was truly interested in taking the ATA exam, but there is nothing scheduled in Ontario, so I had a look at what is available here, and I found the ATIO. Has anyone taken their exam? How difficult is it? How long is the certification valid?
Any insights will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Caroline

check out their website? (www.atio.on.ca)

Paula

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
French to English
+ ...
ATIO certified Sep 13, 2007

Hi Caroline,

I am ATIO certified, and I can assure you that it is certainly as valid as an ATA certification. I found it particularly useful when I was living in Canada, because the government considers ATIO certification as the equivalent to the exams they use to screen their translators (both inhouse and outsourcing), so once you're certified you don't have to go through the long, drawn-out government procedure if ever you want to work in those circles (and there is A LOT of trans
... See more
Hi Caroline,

I am ATIO certified, and I can assure you that it is certainly as valid as an ATA certification. I found it particularly useful when I was living in Canada, because the government considers ATIO certification as the equivalent to the exams they use to screen their translators (both inhouse and outsourcing), so once you're certified you don't have to go through the long, drawn-out government procedure if ever you want to work in those circles (and there is A LOT of translation work available through the Canadian government once you've tapped that resource!).
I do a lot of work directly for museums in Canada, and my certification and membership with ATIO was an asset. They saw it as a guarantee of quality. How true that is, is another debate you can read about in other forums, but it can't be denied that having certification has helped me get good, reliable, long-term, well-paying customers, as opposed to one-off projects through various different agencies.
I live in France now, but it still find the certification helpful. I have a seal that I can put on hardcopies and my invoices, and many clients here still see certification from a reputable professional organization as a sign of quality.

It's hard to say how tricky the exam is - some people I know passed it on the first go, others who I consider excellent translators nevertheless sat it 4 or 5 times before they were successful. Since I already had quite a few publications to my name, I was certified on dossier, which is another option to consider (check out web site for more info).

ATIO is a very active association - as I'm in France now my involvement is limited to say the least - but as Paula says it would at least be worth your while to check out the web site.
Good luck!
Collapse

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 13, 2007

Hello,
Thanks a lot for the insightful answers!
I already had a look at their website, but I was looking for opinions of people who took the exam or know somebody who did.
I will contact them and go from there.
Thanks again.

Caroline

Nadine Brittan
Nadine Brittan
Local time: 10:10
French to English
+ ...
ATIO: a big disappointment Nov 21, 2007

Hi Caroline,

I just saw your post today and I hope that I'm not too late in responding.
I am a candidate for certification with the ATIO. Last year I took the preparatory course (French-English translation) in order the sit the exam. I found the course texts rather light and interesting to translate. The translator who marked them told me I should pass the exam etc.
The actual exam, however, is another story. There were two texts to translate. Neither of them in my opin
... See more
Hi Caroline,

I just saw your post today and I hope that I'm not too late in responding.
I am a candidate for certification with the ATIO. Last year I took the preparatory course (French-English translation) in order the sit the exam. I found the course texts rather light and interesting to translate. The translator who marked them told me I should pass the exam etc.
The actual exam, however, is another story. There were two texts to translate. Neither of them in my opinion reflected a "real life" translation request. One of them was historical in nature, which given my background in financial and pharmaceutical work, was not my cup of tea.
Anyway, I came out of the exam thinking that I had understood the texts and managed to render a decent translation. I didn't believe there were any major stumbling blocks.
I was very surprised when I received my exam results a few months later. I failed miserably (a mark of around 40%)! Only a couple of translators actually passed the exam, despite the room full of those who wrote it...
Perhaps the most annoying point is that when you receive your grade, few comments are provided. You must apply to actually see the corrected version of the exam. Otherwise, you're left with a couple of quick notes, none of which actually allow you to understand why you fail. (in my case, I spelled "Baghdad" incorrectly, no doubt the reason for my demise...)
After having completed post-graduate studies in translation (and receiving a "mention très bien") and numerous years of experience in the translation field, both as a translator and a reviser, I was genuinely shocked that I did not pass, or even come close to passing! I do not believe that the exam is a fair reflection of a translator's skills. On dossier certification certainly sounds more attractive, but you need to be recommended by THREE ATIO certified members who can vouch for your work in order to apply. It's a tight knit bunch of professionals (most of whom I might add have been in the business for a while and have connections...). Yes, certification is useful as the previous post points out. Unless you have some strings to pull in the government, it is almost your only chance nowadays of getting a foot in the door. But, in my humble opinion, the Ontario translation certification system is unfair and does not allow for much young blood! Il faut du piston, c'est clair! This being said, I am going to sit the exam again this year in the hopes of faring better. ATIO certification is an asset and it opens quite a few doors in Canada. It's a tough game, but one that I have no choice but to play...
Collapse

Carole Germain

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO exam Nov 22, 2007

Hi Nadine,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.
Unfortunately, it seems that there are quite a few people who had the same experience with the ATIO.
A couple of weeks ago, I sat the exam to be admitted as a member, and I am still waiting for the results (I found a bit odd that there was a part dedicated to correct English grammar and spelling mistakes as I am applying for the English > French pair, but this is another story).
If the exam itself is as you described,
... See more
Hi Nadine,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.
Unfortunately, it seems that there are quite a few people who had the same experience with the ATIO.
A couple of weeks ago, I sat the exam to be admitted as a member, and I am still waiting for the results (I found a bit odd that there was a part dedicated to correct English grammar and spelling mistakes as I am applying for the English > French pair, but this is another story).
If the exam itself is as you described, I will be in trouble myself as I am specialized in localization and technical translations. But I'll see, I have to pass the first exam first.
Good luck for the exam! Please let me know how it goes (crossing my fingers!).

Caroline
Collapse

cpetrut
cpetrut
Canada
English to Romanian
The results are a joke Jun 15, 2012

I've just got back my results from ATIO and they failed me miserably, with a 35 % score. I honestly believe this is just a money-making machine: the costs of the exam are quite high, you need to wait for over 4 months for the result, while you need to pay your yearly membership fee (although you cannot really practice, as "candidate for certification" doesn't mean squat). I have 2 MAs and half a PhD in English (target language) literature and their conclusion was that I don't have enough knowled... See more
I've just got back my results from ATIO and they failed me miserably, with a 35 % score. I honestly believe this is just a money-making machine: the costs of the exam are quite high, you need to wait for over 4 months for the result, while you need to pay your yearly membership fee (although you cannot really practice, as "candidate for certification" doesn't mean squat). I have 2 MAs and half a PhD in English (target language) literature and their conclusion was that I don't have enough knowledge of the target language. Really?

Next, they are asking another 150 dollars if I want to appeal (and be of course told the same thing). You cannot discuss the exam paper with anyone and be explained why you were marked that way.

I don't want to hear about them ever again - almost 1000 dollars lighter with no benefit whatsoever. Truly disappointed.

Good luck to you guys! Maybe it's a lottery of sorts...
Cristina
Collapse

jaymin
jaymin
Canada
German to Korean
+ ...
I agree. Jul 23, 2012

with a 35 % score.

Is 35% for your language pair in the entrance exam or Certification exam?
I myself haven't passed it yet and presently finding out what the markers really want.
It seems to me that the markers wanted to see academic thesis or equivalent.

[Edited at 2012-07-23 16:08 GMT]

mahg121
mahg121
Iran
Local time: 18:40
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
I am Keen to know about ATIO certification axams, type of questions Dec 3, 2013

Hi dear all,

I am keen to take the ATIO certification exams in Canada. I tried to surf the net and find out about the type of exam in terms of the kind of questions, the fields, etc. unfortunately I could not find anything. Actually I have no idea what kind of questions I am going to answer in this exam. I would really appreciate it if anybody can explain me a little what I can expect to be asked for example? are there scientific text, documentary texts or what for example? how long
... See more
Hi dear all,

I am keen to take the ATIO certification exams in Canada. I tried to surf the net and find out about the type of exam in terms of the kind of questions, the fields, etc. unfortunately I could not find anything. Actually I have no idea what kind of questions I am going to answer in this exam. I would really appreciate it if anybody can explain me a little what I can expect to be asked for example? are there scientific text, documentary texts or what for example? how long is the exam? how many texts?

thank you all! bests
Collapse

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The exam Dec 3, 2013

mahg121 wrote:

Hi dear all,

I am keen to take the ATIO certification exams in Canada. I tried to surf the net and find out about the type of exam in terms of the kind of questions, the fields, etc. unfortunately I could not find anything. Actually I have no idea what kind of questions I am going to answer in this exam. I would really appreciate it if anybody can explain me a little what I can expect to be asked for example? are there scientific text, documentary texts or what for example? how long is the exam? how many texts?

thank you all! bests

Hi there,

This is a very old thread, I think you should have opened a new one.
Anyway, I took the certification a long time ago and failed.
Not being certified doesn't prevent you from getting contracts.
As mentioned in this thread, the exam consists of translating 2 texts. You cam only bring in the room dictionaries, the rest is provided. And yes, you have to write by hand, translate in draft before.
I hope this helps.

Samane.T
Samane.T
Canada
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
ATIO entrance exam Aug 2, 2014

JennyC08 wrote:

mahg121 wrote:

Hi dear all,

thank you all! bests

Hi there,

This is a very old thread, I think you should have opened a new one.
Anyway, I took the certification a long time ago and failed.
Not being certified doesn't prevent you from getting contracts.
As mentioned in this thread, the exam consists of translating 2 texts. You cam only bring in the room dictionaries, the rest is provided. And yes, you have to write by hand, translate in draft before.
I hope this helps.

Hi,
Have you ever done ATIO entrance exam?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATIO certification

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »