Jennifer Allen
Jennifer Allen
Spain
Local time: 11:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2019

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of joining a translator's association in order to gain more clients.

I live in Dublin but am from Northern Ireland, so am lucky enough to have dual Irish/British citizenship.

I have an MA Translation and about 5 years experience working professionally. My languages are ES/FR>EN.

Any advice/past experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Hani Hassaan

Hani Hassaan
Hani Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Institute of Translation and Interpreting is a good option. Mar 26, 2019

Hello Jennie,
Institute of Translation and Interpreting has a database of translators where the clients can find you there, I do not know if it is for certified only or it is for all members, please check their website:
https://www.iti.org.uk

Good luck.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Fish and ponds Mar 26, 2019

I have been a member of the CIOL and ITI in the UK for a few years and have gained new clients through both.

I looked into joining Ireland's ITIA at one point but never did in the end, mainly because I didn't need the extra business.

Of course you could join associations in both countries, but if you only want to join one at a time, since you say that your aim is to gain more clients, I would be inclined to go for one of the UK associations, if only because the UK has
... See more
I have been a member of the CIOL and ITI in the UK for a few years and have gained new clients through both.

I looked into joining Ireland's ITIA at one point but never did in the end, mainly because I didn't need the extra business.

Of course you could join associations in both countries, but if you only want to join one at a time, since you say that your aim is to gain more clients, I would be inclined to go for one of the UK associations, if only because the UK has a much larger population and membership of an association here would give you access to a larger client base. But then the pool of rival translators will also be bigger - especially for your language pairs - so you'd be a smaller fish in a bigger pond. I'm afraid I've no idea how many queries you'd be likely to get through the ITIA's directory, but I can tell you that for French-English, I get very few indeed through the CIOL's Find-a-Linguist directory. Most of the enquiries I get are for Romanian-English. I see that there are not all that many professional members of the ITIA for your language pairs, so it's a question of how big a fish you want to be and how big a pond you want to swim in!
Collapse

Ann Marie Bohan
Ann Marie Bohan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:42
German to English
+ ...
ITIA Mar 27, 2019

Hi Jennie

I am based in Dublin and I'm a professional member of the ITIA. I have got one good customer and a few enquiries based on my membership. In recent years, the association has also run some good workshops (there is one coming up on financial translation) and presentations. Also, I think it is just nice to meet up with colleagues who are often in the same situation and chew the fat about the various trials and tribulations we all face!

[Edited at 2019-03-27 13:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Irish/British Association to Join?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »