Translator-specific coworking space in London?
Thread poster: Annie Duncan
Annie Duncan
Annie Duncan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2018

Hello there!

I am interested in hearing the opionions and thoughts of fellow translators living in and around London.

While I love translation and all the freedom that comes with being self-employed, recently I have been feeling rather burned out, which I mainly attribute to the isolation that I am sure besets most of us. There is no doubt that it can be a very stressful industry and I feel that this is only made worse by having to figure out everything (from the legal
... See more
Hello there!

I am interested in hearing the opionions and thoughts of fellow translators living in and around London.

While I love translation and all the freedom that comes with being self-employed, recently I have been feeling rather burned out, which I mainly attribute to the isolation that I am sure besets most of us. There is no doubt that it can be a very stressful industry and I feel that this is only made worse by having to figure out everything (from the legal and tax matters of setting up one's own limited company, to finding the correct terminology and references, to knowing which CPD courses to undertake, troubleshooting technical problems and chasing payments) on one's own! It can all feel a bit overwhelming.

I have been hotdesking at a coworking space for a while now, which I think helps immensely with the morale. However, as mostly everyone else there is in entirely different industries, I still crave the immediate contact with fellow translators to talk over issues.

So, I have come up with an idea: to rent out an office space and turn it into a coworking space specifically for translators. The idea would be for a monthly subscription to entitle each member to software licenses, cloud computing and shared TMs. I would also like to foster a collaborative environment where we could host training seminars conducted by both members and external people, and also to hold social/networking events once a week or so. I would also like to make membership as flexible as is feasible, to suit the lifestyle of the freelance translator!

The goal is to allow each of us to continue working for ourselves, but with the support and learning opportunities afforded by a real community of 'colleagues'. As far as I know, there is nothing like this that currently exists (please correct me if I am wrong!).

This project is in the very early stages right now, but I would really like to do some initial market research to gauge interest in such an idea. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be very grateful if you could answer some or all of the questions below:

1. Would you be interested in becoming a member of such a coworking space?
2. What services would need to be provided for you to consider membership worthwhile?
3. How much would you be willing to pay per month?
4. How many days a week would you ideally like to work from such a space?
5. Would you be willing to give training seminars to other members?
6. Would you require a fixed desk/office space or would you be happy to hotdesk?
7. Which area of London would be most convenient or attractive for you?

Please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you!

[Edited at 2018-06-06 10:14 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator-specific coworking space in London?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »