What Certification is most recommended and respected?
Thread poster: Rody Correa Avila
Rody Correa Avila
Rody Correa Avila  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2016

I would like to hear from freelancers what certification, from your experience, has been the most helpful to get more clients.

Has it made a big difference and helped you to get more jobs and clients?

If so, which one do you recommend most in order to get more translating and interpreting jobs. Seems to me that specialties help and I have gained expertise in Telecommunications and Engineering from jobs, for example. I am very familiar with Religious content, Music/Audi
... See more
I would like to hear from freelancers what certification, from your experience, has been the most helpful to get more clients.

Has it made a big difference and helped you to get more jobs and clients?

If so, which one do you recommend most in order to get more translating and interpreting jobs. Seems to me that specialties help and I have gained expertise in Telecommunications and Engineering from jobs, for example. I am very familiar with Religious content, Music/Audio, yet I have not gotten a lot of clients.

Thanks for sharing your experience dear colleagues!!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ATA Jun 20, 2016

Considering your place of residence, I would say it is ATA's certification. You can find plenty of details, fees, and dates of venues in the American Translators Association's website (www.atanet.org).

The two drawbacks are that the exams are hard to pass (you need to have experience translating and/or prepare yourself well with ample time) and that, in order to keep the certification, you must remain
... See more
Considering your place of residence, I would say it is ATA's certification. You can find plenty of details, fees, and dates of venues in the American Translators Association's website (www.atanet.org).

The two drawbacks are that the exams are hard to pass (you need to have experience translating and/or prepare yourself well with ample time) and that, in order to keep the certification, you must remain a member of ATA (with a yearly membership fee) and keep investing in your training/participate in ATA conferences, etc. So both obtaining and keeping the certification will mean some effort and also some money invested every three years.

The good point is that most people in the US related to translation (both agencies and direct clients) know what the ceritication is hard to pass and that it gives reassurance of your performance in translation. They will always favor a certified translator. Of course it will not mean that customers begin to pour in. You need to keep marketing yourself as usual, but it will definitely give you a competitive edge.

[Edited at 2016-06-20 06:29 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Some prestigious university diploma Jun 20, 2016

like the NYU. Court certification, especially Federal Court, for Spanish, in interpreting,. Well, this is related to interpreting more, but it may also help.

[Edited at 2016-06-20 11:25 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just as side information Jun 22, 2016

The March/April '16 issue of ATA's The Chronicle contains very interesting information on pass rates in the ATA certification exams.

In your main language pairs, the pass rates of certification exams in 2004-2014 were:
- English into Spanish: 2,040 candidates, pass rate 14.11%
- Spanish into English: 1,038 candidates, pass rate 12.04%

On average in 16 language pairs, they record a pass rate of 14,79%.

Just so you know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What Certification is most recommended and respected?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »