Thread poster: OlafK
OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
English to German
+ ...
Oct 15, 2014

The Chartered Institute of Linguists introduced the status of "Chartered Linguist" a while ago (http://www.iol.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:chartered-linguist-scheme-relaunched&catid=121:press-release&Itemid=545)
But the scheme didn't prove very popular. The appl
... See more
The Chartered Institute of Linguists introduced the status of "Chartered Linguist" a while ago (http://www.iol.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:chartered-linguist-scheme-relaunched&catid=121:press-release&Itemid=545)
But the scheme didn't prove very popular. The application fee was quite high, the process of becoming a "Chartered Linguist" fairly complicated and nobody seemed to see the point. Now they are relaunching the scheme, application is free for the time being and less complicated. I had a look at the application form and entry requirements and still find it a bit of a hassle. And you need two referees who must download and fill in forms and send them to the CIOL. I find that too much to ask from clients who are often overworked anyway.
Does anybody care about the "Chartered" status? Do people outside the UK even know what it means? (I'm not sure I do) Is it worth the hassle now that application is free or is it just a waste of time?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chartered Linguist

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »