Max Zalewski
Max Zalewski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2014

For those of you who have passed the Spanish into English ATA certification exam, what physical resources did you use on the exam? I normally only use online resources and I do not even own any physical translation tools other than a Spanish into English Oxford Dictionary. It seems like a good legal dictionary might be the best option for a second resource to use. Any recommendations? What about other specific dictionaries might be useful? Please let me know what resources you have used and if p... See more
For those of you who have passed the Spanish into English ATA certification exam, what physical resources did you use on the exam? I normally only use online resources and I do not even own any physical translation tools other than a Spanish into English Oxford Dictionary. It seems like a good legal dictionary might be the best option for a second resource to use. Any recommendations? What about other specific dictionaries might be useful? Please let me know what resources you have used and if possible, where to get them at a low cost or if you would like to sell me a copy that you do not use. Thank you for your help.Collapse

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT
Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:43
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
My two cents Aug 12, 2014

Max, my experience will not be very useful, as I'm a long-standing English into Spanish Certified Translator.

Anyway, over the years I've collected some material regarding the ATA exams (I'm a exam proctor in Argentina, and sometimes we organize a Practice Workshop in Buenos Aires).

First than all, I'll recommend you to print out (and read!) the Into English Grading Stand
... See more
Max, my experience will not be very useful, as I'm a long-standing English into Spanish Certified Translator.

Anyway, over the years I've collected some material regarding the ATA exams (I'm a exam proctor in Argentina, and sometimes we organize a Practice Workshop in Buenos Aires).

First than all, I'll recommend you to print out (and read!) the Into English Grading Standards from ATA, available at http://www.atanet.org/certification/Into_English_Grading_2013.pdf

Maybe you'll want to watch the free Exam Preparation Webinar, which includes resource tips
http://www.atanet.org/webinars/ataWebinar93_certification.php

Finally, I'm copying a list of suggested resources. It's not new, but you may get an idea... It was provided by translator Tony Palomo.

Collins Spanish Unabridged Dictionary
Gran diccionario Oxford
Diccionario Mosby de Medicina (ES>EN, EN>ES)
Wiley's Business Dictionary (ES>EN, EN>ES)
Oxford Business Spanish Dictionary
Wiley's Chemistry Dictionary (ES>EN, EN>ES)
Diccionario crítico de dudas de medicina (EN>ES only but I find it useful
anyway)
Diccionario de términos legales by Louis A. Robb
Dictionary of Spanish Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Michael Mahler
Accounting Dictionary (ES>EN, EN>ES) by Nora Sánchez
Diccionario LID de empresa y economía
Diccionario de términos jurídicos (ES>EN, EN>ES) by Alcaraz and Hughes
Firefly Spanish/English Visual Dictionary
Multicultural Spanish Dictionary

You may also carry printouts from your favorite online dictionaries and style guides/grammar books. Anything that is not handwritten will pass as a resource.

Please consider having some contact with your physical resources beforehand, as it will be overly stressful to approach them for the first time in a exam situation.

Regards, Cecilia

[Editado a las 2014-08-12 21:43 GMT]
Collapse

Max Zalewski
Max Zalewski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 19, 2014

Cecilia,

Thank you very much for your recommendations, that is very helpful!

Best,

MAX

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA certification exam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »