Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Contributors to charity project - are you still interested?
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Dorritt
Dorritt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
English to Spanish to English. I'd like to help Jan 31, 2005

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

Dear all,

Early in December, I posted an idea to help children in need all over the world by publishing a book with the writings (poems, letters, stories etc) from those children, which then would need to be translated into multiple languages. Many, many of you offered your free help (and new offerings are coming in each week and one colleague is currently creating a database), and almost as many had started to help me create a strategy for this project.

After the Christmash holidays, I've been trying to reactivate the discussions in the translators4kids forum but the once lively discussion hasn't come back yet.

There may be many reasons for that (the tsunami disaster, holidays, reluctance to participate in the legal matters etc.) but I cannot believe that this could have resulted in a total standstill.

Whatever your personal reasons or opinions - please let me know if you are still interested and if yes, in what way. As I have pointed out several times, we don't necessarily have to found our own charity. All I need to know is whether this project will continue (and how) or not.

Thank you.

PS: You may post here or drop me an individual email, whatever suits you best.

nair
nair
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Would like to join the team... Jan 31, 2005

I only saw this today but would like to join the team. Translation English/French > German and project management!

Tanja

valdo
valdo
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I'm interesteded in taking part to the project with translation services Jan 31, 2005

Dear all,

Early in December, I posted an idea to help children in need all over the world by publishing a book with the writings (poems, letters, stories etc) from those children, which then would need to be translated into multiple languages. Many, many of you offered your free help (and new offerings are coming in each week and one colleague is currently creating a database), and almost as many had started to help me create a strategy for this project.

After the Christmash holidays, I've been trying to reactivate the discussions in the translators4kids forum but the once lively discussion hasn't come back yet.

There may be many reasons for that (the tsunami disaster, holidays, reluctance to participate in the legal matters etc.) but I cannot believe that this could have resulted in a total standstill.

Whatever your personal reasons or opinions - please let me know if you are still interested and if yes, in what way. As I have pointed out several times, we don't necessarily have to found our own charity. All I need to know is whether this project will continue (and how) or not.

Thank you.

apreaubert (X)
apreaubert (X)
English to French
Just discovered this topic Jan 31, 2005

That's a great project !!
I'm in for English > French translations

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Contributors should be reachable by email Jan 31, 2005

Please note that if you would like to assist with this project, you would need a valid email address in your profile so that we can contact you.

Thank you!

Thorsten Distler
Thorsten Distler  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I'm in as well - work as independent organization preferred Jan 31, 2005

As a key stage 1/2/3 teacher, I love your idea of setting up a charity translator team and would be willing to take care of English/French to German translations (if there are any). Regarding the form of organization, I would opt for the independent solution, if you have experienced voluntary lawyers at your hands.

Bérengère Letessier
Bérengère Letessier
United States
Local time: 03:46
English to French
+ ...
English > French translator Jan 31, 2005

Hello Marion!

As a member of Translators Without Borders I offer my services for free on a regular basis and would be interested in participating. I translate from English > French and also from German > French, but I don't know if this would be needed.

Bérengère

mgm1
mgm1  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian Translator interested in this project Jan 31, 2005

Hi. My name is Maria Grazia Marino, an Italian translator who lives in London.
I am interested in this project, please get in touch.
Many thanks.

[email protected]
www.italiantalk.com

Dear all,

Thank you.

Lisa Davey
Lisa Davey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:46
German to English
Interested Feb 1, 2005

I am interested in participating. Language pair: German>English.
(I see I'm not the only one!)

Apologies in advance if this next thought is in the wrong thread.

One way of contacting children who would be otherwise uncontactable (e.g. as a result of lack of transport etc caused by the tsunami) would be to contact agencies/charities working in those areas and asking them to ask the children to submit their stories/pictures.
This may result in an undertaking
... See more
I am interested in participating. Language pair: German>English.
(I see I'm not the only one!)

Apologies in advance if this next thought is in the wrong thread.

One way of contacting children who would be otherwise uncontactable (e.g. as a result of lack of transport etc caused by the tsunami) would be to contact agencies/charities working in those areas and asking them to ask the children to submit their stories/pictures.
This may result in an undertaking to use the funds raised to support those charities though. Somehow, I don't know if they will welcome extra admin in the field without some sort of pay-back.

Perhaps we could contact small children's charities which are not completely overwhelmed with life and death situations. We could ask them to get the children to draw and write stories - giving the smaller charities more publicity and much needed funds.

Apologies if all this has already been discussed elsewhere. I've only just become aware of the forum - and there's a lot to read!!

Lisa
Collapse

María Emilia Meini
María Emilia Meini  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I really would love to take part in this beautiful project!! Feb 3, 2005

Hello Marion! I've just came across this project, and I'm willing to help. I'm not a professional translator yet,I'm still studying to become one (hopefully this year I will get my diploma), but I'd really love to take part in this project.My languages are SpanishEnglish. (I'm Argentine)
Besides, I can offer my help also regarding the graphic design,illustrations etc. Actually, painting and drawing is my hobbie, and I've taken art lessons,so anything that requires creative graphic ideas, I
... See more
Hello Marion! I've just came across this project, and I'm willing to help. I'm not a professional translator yet,I'm still studying to become one (hopefully this year I will get my diploma), but I'd really love to take part in this project.My languages are SpanishEnglish. (I'm Argentine)
Besides, I can offer my help also regarding the graphic design,illustrations etc. Actually, painting and drawing is my hobbie, and I've taken art lessons,so anything that requires creative graphic ideas, I'm willing to help with that too.
I've worked with kids,and I just also love this wonderful idea of helping them!!!
María Emilia
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Update on progress of Translators4kids Feb 9, 2005

The process of looking at all the legal and organizational angles and establishing an outline to what is needed is making good progress but takes some time to set up.

We will be posting a more detailed outline of all that has been going on behind the scenes soon.

Meanwhile, please be on the look-out for the upcoming opportunity to specify your talents and/or expertise!

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
New volunteers: Download your personal questionnaire! Feb 11, 2005

Whether you would like to help simply with translating the children's writing or whether you want to be actively involved with planning and organization - your committment is welcome anytime.

Simply download the questionnaire: www.copywriting.de/Yourname_YourProZ-ID.doc, fil
... See more
Whether you would like to help simply with translating the children's writing or whether you want to be actively involved with planning and organization - your committment is welcome anytime.

Simply download the questionnaire: www.copywriting.de/Yourname_YourProZ-ID.doc, fill it out, then send it back to me at [email protected]

A few enlightening notes:

- The questionnaire is comprehensive; this was done purposefully, enabling us to proceed more quickly and create the best possible teams.

- Please save the document under a new document name, using your ProZ.com profile name & number, for example: Schimmelpfennig_1550.doc . This is important as we will be able to ID your file once you send it back.

- Please do not change the formatting or structure of this file, i.e. do not add or delete columns or rows. Put your answer(s) only in the respective column and/or row. We plan to convert the data to a database. Changes to the format or structure would make this impossible.

Thank you!
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Update on Translators4Kids Feb 14, 2005

Dear all,

I would like to update you on recent developments of Translators4Kids:

- close to 30 (!) questionnaires have come in as of today; that's a tremendous feedback rate of roughly 50 percent!!!

- Those data are now being added to our existing data base of volunteers so that they can be evaluated in detail (in order to form the best teams possible / to see what resources we have / to see what we lack etc)

- We will establish direct communic
... See more
Dear all,

I would like to update you on recent developments of Translators4Kids:

- close to 30 (!) questionnaires have come in as of today; that's a tremendous feedback rate of roughly 50 percent!!!

- Those data are now being added to our existing data base of volunteers so that they can be evaluated in detail (in order to form the best teams possible / to see what resources we have / to see what we lack etc)

- We will establish direct communication with the volunteers who have sent in their questionnaire

- We will now begin to form the teams

- The teamwork will take place via email lists as well as in a dedicated private forum on ProZ.com

- We have developed basic working guidelines

- We have developed a priority list in order to maintain focus and work efficiently: setting up the teams; legal set-up of HQ (France; additional associations to found in other countries); develop outline of project; find publisher annex partner

- We have developed basic ideas for organigram, project outline, logo etc

And of course: We will keep you informed!

Kind regards
Marion
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Contributors to charity project - are you still interested?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »