Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Language pairs: what's needed / what's offered
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

We already have many, many offerings for free translations for the book. I haven't yet found the time to list and sort them out, but I will.

Also, as soon as we know from what countries and in which languages the children's works will come in, we can compare which language pairs we need, which language pairs have already been offered and which are missing.

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Can set up a database using MS Access 2000 Dec 12, 2004

Marion if you like I can set up a database with all the volunteers and their relevant data as well as one for our needs. However, I will not be available to do it until 2nd week of January. Let me know.
Francina

[Edited at 2004-12-12 15:41]

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
database for language pairs Dec 12, 2004

Thank you, Francina, this is very helpful! I received another offer for creating a database with language pairs from Eleftheria Zossima http://www.proz.com/pro/56814. I could simply "assign" the job to one of you, but I don't know if this a good idea How about the two of you get together to arrange who will do it? Maybe you can even split it... See more
Thank you, Francina, this is very helpful! I received another offer for creating a database with language pairs from Eleftheria Zossima http://www.proz.com/pro/56814. I could simply "assign" the job to one of you, but I don't know if this a good idea How about the two of you get together to arrange who will do it? Maybe you can even split it, I'm not sure. Anyway, as soon as you have agreed upon how to handle this, I will forward all additional translation offerings I have received via email. Hope that's ok - if not, please let me know.

[Edited at 2004-12-12 13:11]
Collapse

elzosim
elzosim  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
English to Greek
+ ...
Let's split them Dec 12, 2004

Francina wrote:

Marion if you like I can set up a database with all the volunteers and their relevant data as well as one for our needs. However, I will not be available to do it until 2nd week of January. Let me know.
Francina

[Edited at 2004-12-12 15:41]

Perhaps we could split them.
I can work on the volunteers database and Francina on the other one.
Please let me know -both of you.

Regards,

Eleftheria

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:39
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Should we list the available language pairs here for the time being? Jan 10, 2005

New translators are still volunteering in the inital thread: www.proz.com/topic/27354?start=30

And if I understood Marion correctly, there are additional translation offerings sent to her via e-mail.

What would you say to listing all the language pairs in which people have volunteered? This list need not contain names of the volunteers, just the language pairs, or it may
... See more
New translators are still volunteering in the inital thread: www.proz.com/topic/27354?start=30

And if I understood Marion correctly, there are additional translation offerings sent to her via e-mail.

What would you say to listing all the language pairs in which people have volunteered? This list need not contain names of the volunteers, just the language pairs, or it may contain names... whichever is more practical.

This list could be posted right here on this thread (and updated from time to time). That way, we (and everbody else) could see the major language pairs in which we are lacking volunteers. And some of us could take steps to find volunteers for these missing language pairs while work continues on the database. When the database is ready, Francina and Eleftheria could determine another method to publish the list somewhere, somehow.

Did anyone make a list of all the offered language pairs yet? Maybe Francina and Eleftheria have such a list ready at hand.
Collapse

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm ready to set up the volunteer list Jan 10, 2005

Happy New Year to all,

I'm ready to set up the database with the volunteers we have. Marion shall I go to the tread and take the names and info from there and you send me the names with info that you have?

Once we are at the stage of actually collecting work, will I start making a database with language pairs needed. At that point I will list the pairs still needed. The database should make matching volunteers with the pairs needed fairly easy to do and also give
... See more
Happy New Year to all,

I'm ready to set up the database with the volunteers we have. Marion shall I go to the tread and take the names and info from there and you send me the names with info that you have?

Once we are at the stage of actually collecting work, will I start making a database with language pairs needed. At that point I will list the pairs still needed. The database should make matching volunteers with the pairs needed fairly easy to do and also give us an easy overview of the pairs still needed.
Francina
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea! Jan 11, 2005

Dear Francina and Balaban,

I think it is a very good idea to list the language pairs here first and add whichever offers come in later.

Francina, I will forward you all the emails with offerings I got.

e_t
e_t
Local time: 19:39
Polish to English
+ ...
I am also interested Jan 24, 2005

English/Polish

John Speese
John Speese  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Count me in! Jan 30, 2005

Hello Marion,
I'm sure you're overwhelmed with volunteers, but please count me in! As a father of two children myself, I'm definitely interested. I work in Haitian Creole, as well as German, French, and Spanish. I already do translations like this for Deaf Friends International < [email protected] > which is a Christian-based organization that promotes exchange and friendship among young deaf people from all over the worl
... See more
Hello Marion,
I'm sure you're overwhelmed with volunteers, but please count me in! As a father of two children myself, I'm definitely interested. I work in Haitian Creole, as well as German, French, and Spanish. I already do translations like this for Deaf Friends International < [email protected] > which is a Christian-based organization that promotes exchange and friendship among young deaf people from all over the world, as well as tries to obtain materials and supplies for them, esp. in countries that do not have a lot of resources. Many of the letters, poems, stories, etc. from these young people, and occasionally also from clergy or other workers who work with young deaf people, need translating (I translate them to and from English, German, and French).
Anyway, God bless you, and best of luck with this project.
Jack Speese
Collapse

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Add me for my language pairs, please! Jan 30, 2005

Hi people,

Not sure if this is the right place to repeat my willingness to contribute with translation-- English to and from Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian. I'm best at translating, so I'll take whatever volume of translation there is in my working pairs; as for the rest of the project, like organizing, legal stuff, searching for publishers, etc., sorry, I can't help there.

For any future requests and questions, feel free to contact me via my proz profile.

Go
... See more
Hi people,

Not sure if this is the right place to repeat my willingness to contribute with translation-- English to and from Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian. I'm best at translating, so I'll take whatever volume of translation there is in my working pairs; as for the rest of the project, like organizing, legal stuff, searching for publishers, etc., sorry, I can't help there.

For any future requests and questions, feel free to contact me via my proz profile.

Good luck to all of us!!

Seadeta
Collapse

Natalia Petrosyan
Natalia Petrosyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
English to Russian
+ ...
I also would be glad to join the project Jan 30, 2005

I also would be glad to join the project

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 14:39
German to English
+ ...
German->English, Proofreading, anything ;-) Jan 30, 2005

Please contact me if you can use my skills!

solmet
solmet
French to English
+ ...
count me in Jan 30, 2005

I can offer Russian/English French/English. I have been thinking about how I could work with Russian children for some time so when I read of this initiative in a proZ email just now, I was rather taken aback, pleasantly so. I'm English but lived in St Petesburg for a long time (now in France) and am very deeply attatched to Russia and her people. So count me in.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
English German - German English Jan 30, 2005

Please add me to your volunteer list.

Andrea

Tania Martins
Tania Martins
Portugal
Local time: 19:39
German to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
English - Portuguese: count me in! Jan 30, 2005

English > Portuguese (Pt)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Language pairs: what's needed / what's offered

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »