General strategy
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

Don't be afraid of the word "strategy". All you need is common sense

In this topic, we can discuss what we want to achieve, how big we want this thing to be, how we want to approach it generally.

As already mentioned, I believe we need to think really BIG. We won't be able to help many children all over the world if we only sell a couple of thousand books. We will need BIG sponsors for that.

... See more
Don't be afraid of the word "strategy". All you need is common sense

In this topic, we can discuss what we want to achieve, how big we want this thing to be, how we want to approach it generally.

As already mentioned, I believe we need to think really BIG. We won't be able to help many children all over the world if we only sell a couple of thousand books. We will need BIG sponsors for that.

I also firmly believe that we should try to maintain control over the project. This might prove to be difficult or even impossible from a certain stage, but we should at least try.

Natalia Eklund already posted something we can discuss further:

Formation of legal entity and geographic headquarters.

I have put together several nonexhaustive options

1. Affiliation with a large association to use known name in obtaining more markets (Unesco, Translators without Borders, etc.) all profits go to this one association.

2. Create a foundation and solicit donations
-Interesting idea if want to make more than one edition.
(for those who are truly inspired and would like to dedicate full time, this option allows them to be lightly remunerated for their efforts.)

3. Contact sponsors (several charities) – same base as for a foundation.

4. Apply for a grant (requires a lot of research to find correct foundation grant)
We will have to set up an accounting system separately to justify expenses, as well as declaring the existence of a legal person to local authorities.

Since we have translators from all around the world helping us, it would be wise to explore the legal/fiscal/logistical advantages to setting up a 'headquarters' in a particular country.
I have special connections here in France. I will gather some information and post what I learn. I suggest others do the same, such as in Marion's country (Germany), or the USA. Let me just mention that UNESCO has it's headquarters based in Paris, and that many large French groups, companies, and government associations find the legislative climate highly favorable to sponsoring/funding charitive actions. (But there are geographical limits)

Sonya replied:

I agree with Natalia that we’re going to need a lot of help with this and the affiliate suggestion is a good one. One of the most famous children’s charities in the UK is “Children in Need” and I’m sure they would be very interested in our project. For anyone who doesn’t know about it they can find out more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/index.shtml. They accept donations all the time and distribute every penny to all kinds of children’s charities so this is another option.
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 09:25
English to German
+ ...
Summary Dec 11, 2004

Hi everybody (-:

I guess this was the the first step to organize the discussion forum.
Marion you did a wonderful job!
Thank you Henry from ProZ.com for your support!

I think it would be beneficial to write down a summarization of the outcome. With this we can approach charities and sponsors so they know exactly what it is about and therefore feel confident in our project.

Kind regards,
Andrea

seaMount
seaMount
Local time: 15:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thoughts on priority and cooperation Jan 8, 2005

This wonderful idea needs impact, support and turnover.
As I see it (see also my kick-off 'TranslAid): this might/should be (part of) a permanent activity of the translators community. It's in a way the social responsibility aspect of our common/shared business activity.
A project like this implies also a heavy logistic dimension as well as the need for global coverage regarding many aspects.
This relates also strongly to publishing (and 'business reach')...
I suggest tha
... See more
This wonderful idea needs impact, support and turnover.
As I see it (see also my kick-off 'TranslAid): this might/should be (part of) a permanent activity of the translators community. It's in a way the social responsibility aspect of our common/shared business activity.
A project like this implies also a heavy logistic dimension as well as the need for global coverage regarding many aspects.
This relates also strongly to publishing (and 'business reach')...
I suggest that priority must also be given to team up with a good publishing company. In my opinion: we can't do without one.
They should have resources, experience, coverage etc. and be able to boost the project - as some kind of a partner.
I didn't conduct a thorough study of this market, but there's (for instance) one that could fit the purpose as well as the principal ideas & values: Pearson Group.
Some characteristics:
- Pearson group - consists of Pearson Education, Financial Times Group, Penguin Group
- Global company; offices & markets on every continent
- special focus on children, education
- Media market leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- Founder signatory to the UN Global Compact
- BITC member
- Sponsors of Book Aid International and Crisis
- Strong community involvement, willing to support, sponsor
- A woman as CEO (...)
To me, this speaks of integrity, common values, shared goals and maybe the possibility - to be explored - to connect to an organisation that - even or especially in an early phase of the project - could provide for supplementary capabilities and power we don't have (?)

So, my suggestion is: let's discuss the need for a publisher annex partner. What are our needs, demands and criteria? When do we need one?

[Edited at 2005-01-08 20:53]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

General strategy

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »