Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Reviews now possible for "Translation Mastermind" (a private FB group included in Plus subscription)
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 00:43
ProZ.com team
May 8, 2019

Thanks to some excellent feedback from a forum member, we have now added a series of reviews to the Translation Mastermind website*.

A reminder that the Facebook group** is completely free to all ProZ Plus members, and that there is a small monthly or annual charge if you are not a Plus member.

Disclaimer: we are well aware that Facebook is not for everyone, and that's just fine.

However, it certainly is for the 950 members (not to menti
... See more
Thanks to some excellent feedback from a forum member, we have now added a series of reviews to the Translation Mastermind website*.

A reminder that the Facebook group** is completely free to all ProZ Plus members, and that there is a small monthly or annual charge if you are not a Plus member.

Disclaimer: we are well aware that Facebook is not for everyone, and that's just fine.

However, it certainly is for the 950 members (not to mention the 26k members of the main ProZ.com group on FB), and therefore just might be for you too.

* https://translationmastermind.com/product/membership/

** https://www.facebook.com/groups/thetranslationmastermind/

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2019-05-10 13:45 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:43
Member (2008)
Italian to English
NOthing to do with me May 8, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Thanks to some excellent feedback from Tom in London, we have now added a series of reviews to the Translation Mastermind website*.

This has got nothing to do with me. Please remove my name from your post. I suggest "Thanks to some excellent feedback, we have now added...."

[Edited at 2019-05-08 11:17 GMT]

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Spitting image May 8, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Andrew Morris wrote:

Thanks to some excellent feedback from Tom in London, we have now added a series of reviews to the Translation Mastermind website*.

This has got nothing to do with me. Please remove my name from your post. I suggest "Thanks to some excellent feedback, we have now added...."

[Edited at 2019-05-08 11:17 GMT]

Wow. Just wow.

I was simply trying to credit you for your comment that there were no reviews on the site, which prompted the action.

Unless that was a different "Tom in London" but with the same face, and the same rather distinctive tone of voice?

Ok, will remove your name forthwith. Although I feel bound to point out it is something of an exercise in futility as both your response and my response to your response contain your name.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:43
French to English
+ ...
This is meaningless May 8, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

However, it certainly is for the 950 members (not to mention the 26k members of the main ProZ.com group on FB), and therefore just might be for you too.

This number is meaningless. It includes a lot of people (like me) who registered, had a look and decided it was a waste of time.
BTW, I find your attitude and the personal attacks on people who disagree with you quite offensive.
This is definitely not an incentive to renew my Plus subscription.

I don't need you to tell me that your Mastermind forum is not for me. This clearly implies that I am incapable of appreciating your greatness. You should learn to treat your colleagues with respect.

Sandra

Grace Anderson
mughwI
ahartje
Daniela Zambrini
Jennifer White
writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Illogical leaps May 8, 2019

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

I don't need you to tell me that your Mastermind forum is not for me. This clearly implies that I am incapable of appreciating your greatness.

Sandra

I am sorry, but it implies no such thing.

If I was the type to take endless offence (as you seem to be), I could be offended by that rather petty personal remark.

Luckily, I'm not.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Staying on topic May 8, 2019

The only point of this rather factual little thread is, once again, to indicate the existence of a service provided by ProZ.com for its Plus members.

And to indicate the existence of reviews, so that people can judge for themselves.

That is it, folks.

I am simply astonished by how quickly such a thread can be subverted, mangled and twisted.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
A few facts May 8, 2019

This number is meaningless. It includes a lot of people (like me) who registered, had a look and decided it was a waste of time.

Personally, I find that facts are always helpful in helping us reach a sense of meaning, in an apparently meaningless universe.

The group currently has 949 members.

In the last month, according to Facebook, 859 of those members were active. That amounts to 90% of the group.

That means they posted, commented or liked a thread. Presumably because they wanted to. No one was forced at gunpoint.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:43
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You have the tools, Andrew, please use them May 8, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

The only point of this rather factual little thread is, once again, to indicate the existence of a service provided by ProZ.com for its Plus members.

And to indicate the existence of reviews

May I make a humble suggestion for such cases?
Post the message, as an announcement, and then immediately close the thread.

writeaway
Michele Fauble
Angie Garbarino

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Is it really necessary? May 8, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Andrew Morris wrote:

Not a bad idea, but it is also an admission of defeat. I'd far prefer to trust people to engage with a simple piece of information in a mature way... even though that trust is fast beginning to wane.

I hope even critical onlookers can see nothing incendiary in my first post. In fact, it's rather a dull little thing, and deliberately so.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Announcement vs. battlecall May 8, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Andrew Morris wrote:

Not a bad idea, but it is also an admission of defeat.

My suggestion was for simple announcements, which you claimed your post was.
IMHO, announcements have nothing to do with “defeat” (neither with victory), their goal is to relay information.
I am not sure why you feel the need to frame these discussions as battles.
Is it a mindset problem?

writeaway
Michele Fauble
Natasha Ziada (X)
Khalid Sabili
Philip Lees
Vanda Nissen
Christophe Delaunay

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Advice well taken May 8, 2019

Is it a mindset problem?

Haha I am always prepared to work on my mindset, but pray tell me, did you read the above comments???

Elizabeth Tamblin

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Take it as you wish May 8, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Is it a mindset problem?

Haha I am always prepared to work on my mindset, but pray tell me, did you read the above comments???

Your prayers are answered, I tell you: yes, I read them.
I have no idea what your expectations were in terms of replies to your post. (This is not a question that you need to answer. It is a statement.) To be honest with you, the comments were pretty much in line with what I thought would follow when I read your OP.
I just thought if you positioned your post as an announcement, and physically made it into one by closing the thread right away,(perhaps I should clarify it: I mean closing it before any replies are made) it would have served its stated purpose better. Clearly, it is too late now, as it is a discussion thread now, but perhaps something to consider for the future. That’s all it was, a humble suggestion that you can take or ignore at your will.

Since I have nothing to add to the original topic, I won’t post again here.

Andrew Morris
Kay Denney
Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Entry barriers May 8, 2019

Intrigued by what a positive, curated forum might look like, I tried to sign up.

But my application was turned down because I am not considered to be suitable material.

[Edited at 2019-05-08 14:04 GMT]

Andrew Morris

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Taking notes. May 8, 2019

So we now quote private correspondence in public (although I now see that has craftily been edited out).

Good grief.

PS any club, society, association, group has a right to refuse admission and I stand 100% by what I wrote.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Promotion of paid resources, with pricing May 8, 2019

Promotion of paid resources is always helpful, but I believe that in order to make an informed decision, it is useful to include the pricing information. The original post here (at ProZ.com) posted by Andrew Morris in his capacity as member of the ProZ.com site team, informs us (ProZ.com members) that there are reviews about another online resource called 'Translation Mastermind', operated by Andrew Morris. (There is no conflict of interest or violation of the ProZ.com rule that forbids self-pro... See more
Promotion of paid resources is always helpful, but I believe that in order to make an informed decision, it is useful to include the pricing information. The original post here (at ProZ.com) posted by Andrew Morris in his capacity as member of the ProZ.com site team, informs us (ProZ.com members) that there are reviews about another online resource called 'Translation Mastermind', operated by Andrew Morris. (There is no conflict of interest or violation of the ProZ.com rule that forbids self-promotion of money-making businesses, given that the topic was started by ProZ.com staff.)
For the resource promoted under this topic, freelance membership costs €4 per month or €39 per year. Same resource is free for ProZ.com Plus subscribers; ProZ.com Plus membership costs $180 per year.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviews now possible for "Translation Mastermind" (a private FB group included in Plus subscription)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »