https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/278053-translation_theory_in_english_a_list_of_recommended_books_resources.html&phpv_redirected=1

Translation theory in English: a list of recommended books/resources?
Thread poster: Fulvio Novì
Fulvio Novì
Fulvio Novì
Italy
Local time: 22:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 21, 2014

Hello everyone!

I am beginning this discussion because I will have to write a dissertation for my graduation and I am looking for resources and books to look at.

Basically, I will be required to translate some pages from Italian to English and then I will have to write a "translation analysis" section in which I will have to explain why I chose to translate in a particular way and everything that is involved in this decision-making process. Bear in mind I am not an Eng
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am beginning this discussion because I will have to write a dissertation for my graduation and I am looking for resources and books to look at.

Basically, I will be required to translate some pages from Italian to English and then I will have to write a "translation analysis" section in which I will have to explain why I chose to translate in a particular way and everything that is involved in this decision-making process. Bear in mind I am not an English native, I'm Italian and I live in Italy, but this is the task I've been assigned.

So to come to the books and resources, I already have "Language to Language" by Christopher Taylor published by Cambridge University Press, but I'd like to have a wider list.

Thanks for your help!

[Modificato alle 2014-11-21 15:42 GMT]
Collapse

MarinaM
MarinaM  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Three books Nov 23, 2014

Hello,

We can recommend you some books but don't expect to find everything you need in just a few books. I guess you should consider an analysis in several levels: grammar, lexis, semantics, adequacy, equivalence, text type, etc.

You may find useful these two books which deal with translation techniques and strategies:

Baker, Mona. In Other Words. A Coursebook on Translation. Routledge. New York, 2011.

Hatim, Basil and Munday, Jeremy. ... See more
Hello,

We can recommend you some books but don't expect to find everything you need in just a few books. I guess you should consider an analysis in several levels: grammar, lexis, semantics, adequacy, equivalence, text type, etc.

You may find useful these two books which deal with translation techniques and strategies:

Baker, Mona. In Other Words. A Coursebook on Translation. Routledge. New York, 2011.

Hatim, Basil and Munday, Jeremy. Translation An advanced Resource Book. Routledge. New York, 2004.

Newmark, Peter. A textbook on translation. New York. Prentice Hall, 1988.

You can also check Proz Article Knowledgebase, especially those related to Translation Theory
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/Art-of-Translation-and-Interpreting/

HTH
Collapse

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Wiki - Books of interest to translators Nov 24, 2014

You might find some useful titles in this wiki: http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Books_of_interest_to_translators

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation theory in English: a list of recommended books/resources?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »