Thread poster: Michael Newton
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2019

I have been presented with a huge project involving transcription of 850 hours of Japanese and the ensuing translation.
This is a mammoth project and I am looking around for a device which would convert (not translate) Japanese audio to Japanese text. This seems not too far-fetched as nowadays composers in Japan, instead of playing a few notes on the piano and then scratching the notes on paper, play the notes which then appear on a computer screen above the piano in the form of musical no
... See more
I have been presented with a huge project involving transcription of 850 hours of Japanese and the ensuing translation.
This is a mammoth project and I am looking around for a device which would convert (not translate) Japanese audio to Japanese text. This seems not too far-fetched as nowadays composers in Japan, instead of playing a few notes on the piano and then scratching the notes on paper, play the notes which then appear on a computer screen above the piano in the form of musical notation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dictation Jan 17, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:

This is a mammoth project and I am looking around for a device which would convert (not translate) Japanese audio to Japanese text. This seems not too far-fetched as nowadays composers in Japan, instead of playing a few notes on the piano and then scratching the notes on paper, play the notes which then appear on a computer screen above the piano in the form of musical notation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Have you tried using a dictation application (e.g. Dragon or MacDictation)? With a good microphone, placed in front of a loudspeaker playing the Japanese text, it might work. I don't know and I've never tried it. Just throwing out a suggestion.

BTW I think the music software you mentioned is probably Sibelius

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius_first/index.html

[Edited at 2019-01-17 10:35 GMT]

Dan Lucas

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:48
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Probably not Jan 17, 2019

Disclaimer: I have no idea about any special issues with Japanese.

Michael Newton wrote:

This is a mammoth project and I am looking around for a device which would convert (not translate) Japanese audio to Japanese text.

Dragon Naturally Speaking can do this in principle. The quality is widely considered acceptable, if the quality of the source audio file is good (good audio quality, good pronunciation, only one speaker, as little background noise as possible etc.). That's a big "if". Chances are that your audio files will not work well, or at least that a lot of work will have to go into checking and editing the transcription, which will probably make the whole endeavor not worth the while.

[Off-topic:]

Michael Newton wrote:
This seems not too far-fetched as nowadays composers in Japan, instead of playing a few notes on the piano and then scratching the notes on paper, play the notes which then appear on a computer screen above the piano in the form of musical notation.

This comparison is widely off the mark. What you're probably referring to is entering notes via a MIDI keyboard, which relates to "scratching notes on paper" in roughly the same way as transcribing your audio files using a typewriter relates to using a pencil.

Audio to musical score exists, but is restricted to the most simple cases (and even then the result will usually be riddled with errors).

[Edited at 2019-01-17 10:44 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Use Dragon to, er, slay this dragon Jan 17, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:
This is a mammoth project and I am looking around for a device which would convert (not translate) Japanese audio to Japanese text.

Hello fellow ex-Japan market sell-sider. In my version of Dragon Naturally Speaking (Dragon Professional Individual) I can right-click on the tray icon and click on the Tools menu, which reveals an option "Transcribe Recording...". That in turn pops up a dialog box that allows me to select a speaker profile (obviously my own would not be appropriate, as I would not be the speaker) and fields to select files for input and output.

How well would this work? I have no idea, either for English or Japanese, but the quality of the audio recordings will doubtless be an issue. What is equally clear is that you will need to invest in some new tools if you want to tackle a job like this efficiently. In a manual process, if it takes 5 minutes to transcribe one spoken minute, you'd need 4,250 hours to complete that part alone, which is 531 working days of 8 hours each. So, two years just to get a written version...

I would first get a trial version, if there is such a thing, of the Japanese version of Dragon and see how that works. (EDIT: Despite the daft name, the people behind http://www.knowbrainer.com/ are smart and experienced, and run a useful forum - I would definitely use or buy from them.) Even if it's not particularly accurate, a rough transcription would give a better idea of what the project entails, right? You could also skim through the draft transcription and edit it as you listen, which is probably far quicker than manual transcription, but could lead to equivalent quality.

It really is a mammoth job. Unless I had a very relaxed deadline that permitted me to take on other work I would not feel able to commit to something so large. I assume this is something that has a timeline of several years?

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2019-01-17 11:26 GMT]

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:48
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Transcription Jan 17, 2019

https://voicenotebook.com/ has a transcription feature, but I have never used it (using their dictation service). Might be worth trying.

Good luck!

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Realspeaker Jan 18, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:

convert (not translate) Japanese audio to Japanese text.

Try

https://realspeaker.net/

I tested it only for Russian, English and Czech languages, but there is Japanese flag, too.

Milan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Difficult to understand Jan 18, 2019

Milan Condak wrote:

Try

https://realspeaker.net/

I tested it only for Russian, English and Czech languages, but there is Japanese flag, too.

Milan

Thanks Milan. They are based in Galway (Ireland) and have a Facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/realspeakerlab/

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
voice to text conversion Jan 18, 2019

Thank you for Tom, Erik, Dan, Recep and Milan. I'm sure the answer is somewhere within your valuable comments!

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Updates Jan 18, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:
Thank you for Tom, Erik, Dan, Recep and Milan. I'm sure the answer is somewhere within your valuable comments!

Please come back in 2020 and let us know how it's going!

Dan

Tom in London
Jorge Payan

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Voice to text conversion Jan 19, 2019

Thank you for all your useful comments.
I broached the topic of payment (advance, monthly, mid-point) with the "client" who informed me that payment would be made after the entire project was finished. To which I said "take a hike". (this topic was already covered several days ago with my input).
Good riddance! Ii yakkaibarai! Bon debarras!

MollyRose

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Hah Jan 19, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:
Good riddance!

Indeed. Sound like amateurs who have belatedly realised that they have bitten off more than they can chew.

Dan

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
The servis is running. Jan 19, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Milan. They are based in Galway (Ireland) and have a Facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/realspeakerlab/

The servis is running. The output (transcribed files) are under "My media".

https://www.realspeaker.net/media

There is no privacy of the transcribed text.
There is a pool of all transcribing or transcribed sound files into text (or subtitles text files). Each line begin with a flag of state its language is transcribed. You can wait for Japanese flag and view it content.

Some files are "WORKING", some waiting for "TRANSCRIBE", some "TT VIEW TEST"

I pay nothing and I can view and copy, a LIMITED TIME, other user's transcribed text, before they download or copy it.

Example 1:

https://www.realspeaker.net/realspeakers/5c429bddf0cb7600a0b868fa

Words: 232 [ 2 mins 2 secs 200 ms ] | Subtitles:

End of the text:

"When cats systems are linked manufacturing equipment controlled by computers. They Fullman integrate is Cash cam system computer aided manufacturing come office significant advantages over traditional approaches by controlling manufacturing equipment with computers instead of human labor can convert the design of a component into computer language and it gives instructions to the computer regarding machine operations. Thanks to kind of come systems. It is possible to eliminate operator areas and reduce manufacturing costs."

Example 2:

https://www.realspeaker.net/realspeakers/5c43298bf0cb7600a0b8692f

Words: 253 [ 6 mins 38 secs 900 ms ] | Subtitles

A part of the text:

अक्षय जिंदाल

पेपर दे

ठीक हूं

पता तो अच्छी तरह से जानता है कि इसको चलाने में मुझे कोई परेशानी नहीं पीछे हट

चलो

साड़ी शादियों की डुप्लीकेट चाबी वन टू का फोर फोटो कवन के बारे में दिमाग लगाने में टाइम नहीं लगेगा अभी बना रहा है या बस थोड़ा सा टाइम लगेगा मेरा
====

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice to text conversion

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »