Fernando Vargas
Fernando Vargas  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:30
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2016

Wondering if you guys ever found yourselves in this situation and what your advise would be on what to answer...

This is an indirect customer for which I have done a revision job.
Now they are asking me the following and although I stand for my work and would almost immediately answer with ’10-perfect’
I am kind of hesitating because what if this is some kind of ’trap’ in which they are trying to corner me if they happen to find a mistake or something?

... See more
Wondering if you guys ever found yourselves in this situation and what your advise would be on what to answer...

This is an indirect customer for which I have done a revision job.
Now they are asking me the following and although I stand for my work and would almost immediately answer with ’10-perfect’
I am kind of hesitating because what if this is some kind of ’trap’ in which they are trying to corner me if they happen to find a mistake or something?

This is the question that I have received from the agency:
"The client wants to know, what the quality of the revised version is?
Could you give me a number between 1 and 10?
1 is very bad and 10 is perfect ?”
Collapse

MarinaM
MarinaM  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Revision job or revised text? Mar 9, 2016

Hi Fernando,

Are you sure the agency wants you to grade your own revision? They may be referring to the revised text, i.e. the text that has been revised... That's what they usually ask proofreaders.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Had they expected a separate reviewer? Mar 9, 2016

When you agreed to take the translation, do you think the customer had the idea that your work was to be reviewed by a separate person before delivery? I suspect they think you only revised the translation made by someone else, and want some assessment of the translator's quality.

Fernando Vargas
Netherlands
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
additional info to the case Mar 9, 2016

Hi Tomás, Thanks for your reaction.

In this case I made the original translation which was good. This translation was made on a platform and I found out that the customer himself also added translations that were of very poor quality. Then later he complaint about some things he found upon which I kindly replied that the errors he found were correct but that these were not made by me as these were part of the batch that he imported himself. So I offered to revise the work if reques
... See more
Hi Tomás, Thanks for your reaction.

In this case I made the original translation which was good. This translation was made on a platform and I found out that the customer himself also added translations that were of very poor quality. Then later he complaint about some things he found upon which I kindly replied that the errors he found were correct but that these were not made by me as these were part of the batch that he imported himself. So I offered to revise the work if requested.
So he agreed to have it revised and now he comes with the question earlier mentioned which I find kind of odd and unconventional...
Collapse

Fernando Vargas
Netherlands
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not sure I understand your reply Mar 9, 2016

Marina Menendez wrote:

Hi Fernando,

Are you sure the agency wants you to grade your own revision? They may be referring to the revised text, i.e. the text that has been revised... That's what they usually ask proofreaders.

Marina, my own revision is actually the text that has been revised as far as I am concerned? Not sure I understand your reply?

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:30
English to German
Ask the client Mar 9, 2016

I assume the work you delivered was good and would of course have been to the best of your ability, so I would explain that and ask what exactly he wants your opinion on.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
How about...? Mar 9, 2016

Something like this might work:

"The parts of the text which I had translated myself were correct and, in my opinion, of suitable quality and fit for purpose. However, the other sections, which I subsequently revised, left much to be desired."

(I assume you are using English as a lingua franca when discussing things with your clients)...

Fernando Vargas
Netherlands
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Case solved Mar 9, 2016

First of all thank you so much for your support. Considering your advises it was clear that, while stating that I stand for my work, I should be sure of what the customer is really requesting. Is he talking about the (pre-)text I revised or about the (post-)text after I revised it?

So I did ask the agency as they are the party in the middle and it simply seems to be a case of in which the customer is wondering what the quality was of the Spanish translations they imported (so the (p
... See more
First of all thank you so much for your support. Considering your advises it was clear that, while stating that I stand for my work, I should be sure of what the customer is really requesting. Is he talking about the (pre-)text I revised or about the (post-)text after I revised it?

So I did ask the agency as they are the party in the middle and it simply seems to be a case of in which the customer is wondering what the quality was of the Spanish translations they imported (so the (pre-)text before I revised it...

When not clear, do not assume but ask before you leap or judge. Another lesson learned...

Thanks again to you all, you are great!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customer is requesting to indicate quality of a revision job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »