Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2011

I'm just curious: 2010/64/EU, the so-called "translation directive", is due for implementation in October 2013. Each country is supposed to implement it in its own way. Do you have any feedback on how developments are shaping up?

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
you can read it here Dec 22, 2011

but it's about the right to interpretation and translation in criminal proceedings

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:280:0001:0007:en:PDF

Ed

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The issue's in Article 5 point 2 Dec 22, 2011

"In order to promote the adequacy of interpretation and translation and efficient access thereto, Member States shall endeavour to establish a register or registers of independent translators and interpreters who are appropriately qualified. Once established, such register or registers shall, where appropriate, be made available to legal counsel and relevant authorities."

And I wouldn't say "but". I suppose my actual question was, are any moves being made in the direction of
... See more
"In order to promote the adequacy of interpretation and translation and efficient access thereto, Member States shall endeavour to establish a register or registers of independent translators and interpreters who are appropriately qualified. Once established, such register or registers shall, where appropriate, be made available to legal counsel and relevant authorities."

And I wouldn't say "but". I suppose my actual question was, are any moves being made in the direction of such a register, or -- as has happened in Spain and the UK -- is the matter playing into the hands of the private sector? Or are any other solutions envisioned?

The existence of alternatives is of particular interest to those of us who've gone through the experience of private outsourcing.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Interesting Dec 22, 2011

I haven't heard anything about implementation in Hungary or elsewhere in Europe. October 2013 is still far away, I guess parliaments around the continent will not bother with the whole thing until August 2013.
"Endeavour to establish" sounds a bit hazy, too... I'm not sure if countries will face any consequences if their endeavours fail, i.e. if they don't implement the measure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any developments on 2010/64/EU?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »