Translation of Published 1983 Travel Book
Thread poster: fairbro
fairbro
fairbro
Local time: 01:35
English to Russian
Jun 14, 2020

Kind of a newbie here... There is a good "how-to" book, written in English, that IMO would be a good seller in many foreign countries. It concerns travel, and everybody travels, not just Americans (well, maybe no one travels right now, haha bad joke). The book is published in 1983 and "all rights reserved" by the publishing company (USA), not the author. I want to get it translated and try to sell in at least two other countries.

Is this book still under copyright protection?
... See more
Kind of a newbie here... There is a good "how-to" book, written in English, that IMO would be a good seller in many foreign countries. It concerns travel, and everybody travels, not just Americans (well, maybe no one travels right now, haha bad joke). The book is published in 1983 and "all rights reserved" by the publishing company (USA), not the author. I want to get it translated and try to sell in at least two other countries.

How would I approach the company with request for permission to reproduce in another language?

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fairbro Jun 14, 2020

fairbro wrote:
The book is published in 1983 and "all rights reserved" by the publishing company (USA), not the author.

Whether the author also has copyright may depend on the contract that he had with the publisher. W.r.t. copyright in the USA, AFAIK if the author does have copyright, then you have to wait until the author is dead, and then wait another 70 years; or if the author does not have copyright, then you have to wait until the year 2078 (which is 75 years after 1983). Yes, it sucks. So, the book is definitely still under copyright, and you'd have to approach the publisher.

[Edited at 2020-06-14 18:41 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Out of date Jun 15, 2020

fairbro wrote:

How would I approach the company with request for permission to reproduce in another language?

Thanks for your help.

A "how-to" book published in 1983 (i.e. before the Internet) will probably be out of date in many ways. I would suggest contacting the publisher to enquire whether the author (if s/he is still alive) would be interested in writing an updated edition, which you would translate.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Published 1983 Travel Book

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »