Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Translation Project Management. Which Software?
Thread poster: Baptiste Languille (X)
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Looks very interesting, but … Nov 29, 2016

Nenad Andricsek wrote:

Whatever we did in the past, nothing really worked for us.

Reasons are several, but mostly, because the systems are, on one hand a complete Overkill:

- they can automate coffee making when you step into the office (just an example of a super cool, but not so important advanced feature),

but on the other hand:

- they can't figure out a way to enter a project in 25 seconds, and if you are a small agency that works a lot with smaller projects (we, who are in localization are seeing this trend being the standard now) you end up spending most of your project management time in data entry - not really what we need to pay them for, right?

We are now using one of those systems, and they work. But they are far from perfect:

- lot of redundant data needs to be entered again and again
- there is just too much room for making an error in data entry (and when you have to enter 80 new jobs a day, errors do happen)
- the financial structure is too complicated both for us (the Agency), and the vendors (freelancers etc) and the clients..

So I decided to spend my daughters college tuition on building one that will make our life easier.

It's still in the beginning, but maybe it can help you too down the line.

If you want to, you can check it out here:

minitpms.com

Thank you for listening

Do you have a trial version?

Michael

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:41
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
How about some... Nov 29, 2016

Nenad Andricsek wrote:

Whatever we did in the past, nothing really worked for us.

Reasons are several, but mostly, because the systems are, on one hand a complete Overkill:

- they can automate coffee making when you step into the office (just an example of a super cool, but not so important advanced feature),

but on the other hand:

- they can't figure out a way to enter a project in 25 seconds, and if you are a small agency that works a lot with smaller projects (we, who are in localization are seeing this trend being the standard now) you end up spending most of your project management time in data entry - not really what we need to pay them for, right?

We are now using one of those systems, and they work. But they are far from perfect:

- lot of redundant data needs to be entered again and again
- there is just too much room for making an error in data entry (and when you have to enter 80 new jobs a day, errors do happen)
- the financial structure is too complicated both for us (the Agency), and the vendors (freelancers etc) and the clients..

So I decided to spend my daughters college tuition on building one that will make our life easier.

It's still in the beginning, but maybe it can help you too down the line.

If you want to, you can check it out here:

minitpms.com

Thank you for listening

...screenshots

Nenad Andricsek
Nenad Andricsek
Local time: 10:41
English to Serbian
+ ...
You either wait for trial version, or ... Nov 30, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Do you have a trial version?

Michael

Hey Michael,

great question. However I cannot offer a trial of something that's in the cookin' at the moment. Read: there's nothing to try just yet.

You just have to trust me that it's gonna be rock'n'roll.

I know it's a leap of faith, but minitpms is my new religion (ok, I have no idea what I want to say with that)

Anyway, the approach at the moment is:

- if you wait until this is finished (or partially finished) and get a trial, there is a huge probability you will love it but you also will have to pay much, much more than...

- if you join the e-mail Saloon (aka clicky for miniTPMS newsletter), and take that "leap of faith" and become an early adopter for a small monthly fee (don't want to say investor, but it's almost cool as that).

Anyway, even if you don't decide now, joining the Saloon is super fun. And free. And you'll get my direct contact too. And you'll be notified about everything. And then, everything will become much more clear.

Hope this helps, but I'm here to answer more questions if you have (now off to figure out how to make Proz send me some good old mails when I get a reply to a comment, I almost didn't notice this)

[Edited at 2016-11-30 08:48 GMT]

Nenad Andricsek
Nenad Andricsek
English to Serbian
+ ...
Screenshots are in the Saloon :) Nov 30, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

...screenshots

Hey John, thanks for pointing it out.

At the moment we are treating our ugly but useful screenshots as a well kept secret.

But if you join our Saloon (aka: clicky for minitpms newsletter, it's free, and it's fun), I'll be-a-sharin' a lot of useful information about our progress, screenshots (ugly or beautiful) included.

How's that sound to you?

[Edited at 2016-11-30 08:47 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Nov 30, 2016

Nenad Andricsek wrote:

John Fossey wrote:

...screenshots

Hey John, thanks for pointing it out.

At the moment we are treating our ugly but useful screenshots as a well kept secret.

But if you join our Saloon (aka: clicky for minitpms newsletter, it's free, and it's fun), I'll be-a-sharin' a lot of useful information about our progress, screenshots (ugly or beautiful) included.

How's that sound to you?

[Edited at 2016-11-30 08:47 GMT]

I need to see at least a few screenshots before I would be willing to pay anything.

Michael

Nenad Andricsek
Nenad Andricsek
English to Serbian
+ ...
Newsletter is free :) Nov 30, 2016

I need to see at least a few screenshots before I would be willing to pay anything.

Michael

Hey Michael,

that is completely understandable, and I encourage it.

But opting in to our megablaster-translation-industry-smasher newsletter / minitpms info is completely FREE

And THAT is where all the good info is, you know, the info that's kind of not public

You can join anytime, and if you don't like it, just opt-out. It's one click.

Cheerioh,
Nenad

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
yes, I actually subscribed already, but … Nov 30, 2016

Nenad Andricsek wrote:

Michael

Hey Michael,

that is completely understandable, and I encourage it.

But opting in to our megablaster-translation-industry-smasher newsletter / minitpms info is completely FREE

And THAT is where all the good info is, you know, the info that's kind of not public

You can join anytime, and if you don't like it, just opt-out. It's one click.

Cheerioh,
Nenad

... wasn't shown any screenshots yet. I suppose they'll appear in future newsletters. Hope so, as your app looks interesting, also for freelancers like myself who are not particularly thrilled with TO3000.

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Marissa Aguayo Gavilano  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any news about TranslationProjex? Jan 17, 2017

Aploq wrote:

Hi, I have a question for Translationprojex users. Did you have to use their support and were you satisfied with response times and quality?
I am generally very positive about this system and I hope it will smooth things up with us. But their support did not reply within 24 hours and when I contacted them via email, i was told that they will reply next week (it's Thursday today). My question was not very complicated...
Thanks, Agata

Agata, are you still using TranslationProjex? I want to try the free trial, but I haven't heard from them since I asked for a free trial (Almost two weeks ago). I've sent them 2 emails today and I hope they reply.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
BaccS contractors module Jun 5, 2017

PS: BaccS now also also has a contractors module!

(see: http://www.ibaccs.com/ )

Michael

Maria Janum
Maria Janum
English to Danish
+ ...
Re: TranslationProjex Oct 11, 2017

Hi All

We are the developers of TranslationProjex!
Our focus is firmly on building the best little system out there so we're constantly improving it and updating it. Our customer support varies between instantaneous and snail mail but we're working to improve this. We typically offer very fast support for bug fixes and are slightly slower to respond to feature requests.
We also do our best to avoid charging customers for new features if they improve the system
Hi
... See more
Hi All

We are the developers of TranslationProjex!
Our focus is firmly on building the best little system out there so we're constantly improving it and updating it. Our customer support varies between instantaneous and snail mail but we're working to improve this. We typically offer very fast support for bug fixes and are slightly slower to respond to feature requests.
We also do our best to avoid charging customers for new features if they improve the system
Hi Agata... We checked our logs and responded to you same day for almost all your queries. Sorry if we missed anything
Nenad! You're building your own system! We don't mind if you base it on TranslationProjex but we would have preferred a bit of honesty when you signed up for TranslationProjex.
Anyway all is fair in love and war and we wish you every success in becoming a competitor... We firmly believe that the more competition the better!

Let's all work together to build easy to use, reasonably priced systems!
Collapse

Nenad Andricsek
Nenad Andricsek
English to Serbian
+ ...
Why would I base miniTPMS on TranslationProjex? Oct 12, 2017

Maria Janum wrote:

Nenad! You're building your own system! We don't mind if you base it on TranslationProjex but we would have preferred a bit of honesty when you signed up for TranslationProjex.
Anyway all is fair in love and war and we wish you every success in becoming a competitor... We firmly believe that the more competition the better!

Let's all work together to build easy to use, reasonably priced systems!

Since I have been addressed... I'm sorry, but what kind of honesty are you talking about?

First of all, the post you are referring to is almost exactly one year old. Let's ignore that.

I signed up with TP (Nov 2015 - that's 2 years) because I needed an immediate solution that I can use in my small but beautiful company.

- never said I'll stick with you until the end of the time
- never said it was the ONE system we were looking for
- and never said that I wouldn't build my own

(I never thought I would build my own, though it was kind of bothering me for several decades... but I didn't want to make it at this magnitude.. but hey, it just is, what it is)

Not sure what did you actually expect from me? I paid for your services. I was your customer. Not the happiest, but still a customer. And I never said a bad thing about you. Now, what I do in my spare time is my own problem. And if you start calling your customers dishonest, well then, I'm not sure what to think. Let's hope it was just a bad wording.

If you cared to read the forums or "follow the industry" in the last year you would have seen miniTPMS and my name attached to it mentioned several times here on Proz, but also in Language Industry magazines, and newsletters alike. I wasn't hiding under the rock.

But back to TP:

Yours was a compromise solution, that was supposed to put us through a period of time. This period has ended this month (as we started using miniTPMS oficially/internally from September 2017).

But while we are at honesty, why would I spend $50k to build my own system if I was happy with TP? That kind of money would buy me 33 years of subscription.

The problem was not honesty. The problem was suitability.

You speak about your super fast customer support. Which is great. But then again:

I asked for adding Montenegrin language into TP on 26th of April 2016. Year and a half later here is still no Montenegrin language in TranslationProjex.

In my books, that's not speed. That's ignoring your customer. (And now I realize you were also answering a question posted here on Proz in January 2016. I hope you see the irony of that)

So no, miniTPMS is not based on TrnaslationProjex. Actually, it is based on a lot of what TP is NOT.

I'm not saying your SW doesn't work or that it's the worst in the world. Actually it's pretty good, except for some flaws and some limits on possibilities.

But for us, it's just not what we need, not how we work. And even if I am pretty open to change some of operations in our company, there are things that are out of our hands, cannot be changed, and TP cannot handle them.

Apart from that, the possibility to make an error in your system is too big for our threshold, and those lead to double-charging clients, or paying the same resource twice for the same job etc.

So well, miniTPMS is aiming to be free of that kind of stuff.

Also, I don't believe in competition. There's no competition for our system

I wish you all the best, lots of success, but would also kindly ask you to refrain using such strong language when there is absolutely no ground for it.

Stay well
Nenad
the Sheriff of MiniTPMS.

Maria Janum
Maria Janum
English to Danish
+ ...
TranslationProjex Oct 18, 2017

Hi Nenad

You misunderstood our post.
As we said, the more easy to use and fairly-priced software that meets the needs of micro, small and medium-sized LSPs the better, so we welcome new software!
We advise clients against building their own system, not out of self-interest, but just to save them the time, money and hassle!
Though deceptively simple to build, the total cost of building your own translation project management system (management time, design, build, t
... See more
Hi Nenad

You misunderstood our post.
As we said, the more easy to use and fairly-priced software that meets the needs of micro, small and medium-sized LSPs the better, so we welcome new software!
We advise clients against building their own system, not out of self-interest, but just to save them the time, money and hassle!
Though deceptively simple to build, the total cost of building your own translation project management system (management time, design, build, testing, support, hosting etc) far exceeds 50k USD, and takes a long time to get right. So why bother when you can someone else to manage the stress for 100 USD/month?

As LSPs we're now spoilt for choice, and the more systems there are the more vendors have to make sure their systems offer the right features at the right price.

We look forward to seeing miniTPMS join the fray ...send us link when it's ready..
Collapse

LingCom
LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 06:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Projex Jan 30, 2018

Hi Maria:
I've been using Projex for some years (until 2015) but had to leave it because it didn't have an accounting module, integrated with the quoting/ invoicing/ expenses features.

Does it include now more accounting/ administrative features?

Thanks!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Project Management. Which Software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »