Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 05:32
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
well, i am pretty sure Aug 17, 2006

as i work for the large financial institution.
I mean the info about the membership perks is quite misleading as it nearly exclusively targets the US residents.

I am only for fairness of info here, nothing else. Considering 'lack of perks ATA could actually lower the membership rate for non-US residents..))

Vadim Khazin wrote:

I am not sure about this. However, these issues (credit card, insurance etc.) are of little importance when considering ATA membership.

Vadim Khazin
Vadim Khazin  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:32
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
non-US members Aug 17, 2006

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

...I am only for fairness of info here, nothing else. Considering 'lack of perks ATA could actually lower the membership rate for non-US residents..))

I am afraid this will not happen because ATA has bigger postal expenses for its foreign members.

But I think it would be better if you ask your fellow Canadians (more than 300 ATA members) why they joined this association. I can provide some names if you wish.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
no need to ask Aug 18, 2006

I believe they join in order to have some formal recognition of their translation abilities as they do not have relevant professional (lingustic) education.

Otherwise they could easily verify their professional credentials with the US reputable credential verification agency (I did that) - it's one time fee around $100.00 and works 100% with the US clients and US agencies.

I can provide at least one address of such agency, which is on the US State Dept list of recogni
... See more
I believe they join in order to have some formal recognition of their translation abilities as they do not have relevant professional (lingustic) education.

Otherwise they could easily verify their professional credentials with the US reputable credential verification agency (I did that) - it's one time fee around $100.00 and works 100% with the US clients and US agencies.

I can provide at least one address of such agency, which is on the US State Dept list of recognized US credential verification agencies.

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

...I am only for fairness of info here, nothing else. Considering 'lack of perks ATA could actually lower the membership rate for non-US residents..))

I am afraid this will not happen because ATA has bigger postal expenses for its foreign members.

But I think it would be better if you ask your fellow Canadians (more than 300 ATA members) why they joined this association. I can provide some names if you wish.
Collapse

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good for you Aug 18, 2006

Good for you

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
що мені впадає в око Aug 19, 2006

так це "жвавість" обговорення і "широке коло" зацікавлених учасників))

wow

[Edited at 2006-08-19 20:14]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
помилка Aug 19, 2006

[Edited at 2006-08-19 20:13]

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First Eng-Ukr translator certified! Jun 16, 2009

Finally, the first swallow was born: Nataliya Solomashenko from Texas.
I congratulate her and appeal to other colleagues again: follow her example!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Мені завжди здавалося... Jun 16, 2009

...що перша ластівка прилітає, а не народжується

Втім добре, є можливість такої сертифікації - і що це дає? Гарантію якості перекладу? Скільки я вже надивилася на роботу двічі дипломованих та тричі сертифікованих осіб...

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Перша ластівка Jun 16, 2009

Звичайно, Наталі, Ви маєте рацію з орнітологічної точки зору-:); але як дивитися ширше, то можна міркувати й так: у нашому англо-українському сімействі з'явилася/народилася перша ластівка.
А щодо «гарантії якості» – звичайно, її немає. Просто, щоб добитися такої сертифіка�
... See more
Звичайно, Наталі, Ви маєте рацію з орнітологічної точки зору-:); але як дивитися ширше, то можна міркувати й так: у нашому англо-українському сімействі з'явилася/народилася перша ластівка.
А щодо «гарантії якості» – звичайно, її немає. Просто, щоб добитися такої сертифікації, треба принаймні подати *прийнятний* переклад. Мені самому, коли перевіряю переклади як ґрейдер (а я є такий і в англо-росйіському, і в англо-українському напрямах), весь час свербить, щоб їх редагувати (тобто покращити), але тут вимоги інші, менш суворі: щоб кількість помилок різних категорій не перевищувала певного ліміту балів. Помилки класифікуються як за категоріями, так і за «тяжкістю», і відповідно нараховуються неґативні бали. Теоретично є й позитивні бали – за вдалий переклад якогось слова, виразу чи фрази, але це трапляється не часто.
Бажаю успіху,
Вадим
Collapse

Maksym Kozub
Maksym Kozub  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:32
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Поздоровляю! Jun 21, 2009

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Finally, the first swallow was born: Nataliya Solomashenko from Texas.
I congratulate her and appeal to other colleagues again: follow her example!

Радий за Наталю, з якою познайомився минулого року на конференції в Орландо. Приєднуюся до поздоровлень і бажаю дальших успіхів і їй, і Вадиму та всій команді "наших людей в ATA", що розвивають сертифікацію (ну й, звичайно, усій асоціації).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Ukrainian Certification

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »