Thread poster: Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:02
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Sep 16, 2015

I'm planning to come to the US to study translation. Do you know any university that offers very cheap rates? In fact, I need the cheapest ones. I'm planning to study one of these languages: French/German/Italian/French

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 09:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Wrong place Sep 16, 2015

They don't "study translation" much in the US, and there is no such thing here as cheap universities. Education and healthcare are the two most expensive things in this country.

Jennifer McNeel

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Masoud Sep 16, 2015

Masoud Kakoli wrote:
I'm planning to come to the US to study translation. Do you know any university that offers very cheap rates? In fact, I need the cheapest ones. I'm planning to study one of these languages: French/German/Italian/French

I know next to nothing about studying in the USA, but your question was interesting, so I googled a bit. I found a number of sites with lists of universities and community colleges, but one was particularly useful for finding out prices, namely http://www.collegesimply.com/. They have 1500 universities in their database. They don't show a list of universities by price, but I was able to extract the information from the individual pages into an Excel sheet. From there, it appears that the answer to your question is: Minot State University, weighing in at $13 000 per year. They are ranked 684th out of about 1200.

The biggest problem is figuring out if a university offers any languages as majors. This information is often hidden away in odd places.

I'm sure you're also aware that you can study the first year or two at a community college for much cheaper, and then complete your degree at a university that accepts that community college's credits (not all of them accept all of them's), but if you live off-campus then you have to take into account living expenses in that town as well.

However, I see that you already have a BA in translation studies and are currently doing your MA. What is it that you were hoping to study in the USA?

[Edited at 2015-09-16 19:25 GMT]

Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:02
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Learn a new language Sep 17, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

However, I see that you already have a BA in translation studies and are currently doing your MA. What is it that you were hoping to study in the USA?

[Edited at 2015-09-16 19:25 GMT]

Thanks. Your post was really useful for me. Yes, I am currently doing my MA in English studies, but I am really interested in learning a new language so that I can translate into different languages. Maybe, it is better for me to study a foreign language instead of for e.g. French translation. What do you think?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

List of the cheapest universities in the US to study translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »