Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 08:53
Member (2011)
English to German
May 28, 2012

I have just seen a ProZ job offer requiring a 'US citizen linguist with a top secret clearance'.

Do share your knowledge, if you should have gathered any experience regarding this security level (e.g. where can I obtain such a clearance?).

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Need to already have it May 28, 2012

In general, you are granted security clearance through a sponsoring agency that hires you for a job requiring the clearance. This is typically a government agency or the military, before you are hired by them initially or assume a new position requiring clearance. Some private-sector jobs for work on government contracts where sensitive material is handled also require clearance, but AFAIK it would be very, very unusual for a private employer to sponsor someone for a TS-level clearance. Due to t... See more
In general, you are granted security clearance through a sponsoring agency that hires you for a job requiring the clearance. This is typically a government agency or the military, before you are hired by them initially or assume a new position requiring clearance. Some private-sector jobs for work on government contracts where sensitive material is handled also require clearance, but AFAIK it would be very, very unusual for a private employer to sponsor someone for a TS-level clearance. Due to the time and cost involved, they look for people with a current clearance (e.g., from prior government or military work).

There is no way to simply go out and get a clearance on your own, sorry!
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Oh well,... May 28, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Oh well, I just thought that this might me a new way to find well-paying clients...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Government jobs hardly ever pay well May 28, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Oh well, I just thought that this might me a new way to find well-paying clients...

It is really not worth the hassle. Government contracts are passed on from one supplier to the other, there is not much budget left for the translator. The last time I was offered a job that required the handling of confidential data, it also came with a fixed rate of 2 cents/word, haha...

Xiangqun (Shawn) Ye

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
My father... May 28, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It is really not worth the hassle. Government contracts are passed on from one supplier to the other, there is not much budget left for (...)

My father used to work for the military.

[Edited at 2012-05-28 14:00 GMT]

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:53
German to English
+ ...
Lots of information readily available May 28, 2012

Just Google "top security clearance", if you are interested. There are various types, depending on the department. My father had to have one when he worked at NSA as a linguist. I remember being paid a visit by some government official during the vetting process and being asked a bunch of questions about me and my German spouse, etc. A bit invasive, and it was quite a long time ago. My father wasn't allowed to talk about his job, so I never knew what he did there. He was a talented linguist with... See more
Just Google "top security clearance", if you are interested. There are various types, depending on the department. My father had to have one when he worked at NSA as a linguist. I remember being paid a visit by some government official during the vetting process and being asked a bunch of questions about me and my German spouse, etc. A bit invasive, and it was quite a long time ago. My father wasn't allowed to talk about his job, so I never knew what he did there. He was a talented linguist with a command of numerous languages.

Here's one very general source of info:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5020779_secret-security-clearance.html
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Work in an office May 28, 2012

Sometimes top security clearance also means that you have to go to a government office to work, so that they can keep control of the documents at all times.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
German to English
+ ...
Dual citizenship May 28, 2012

I was approached by an agency who does this sort of thing and after asking my ex-military brother about it, found out that I would never get top secret clearance due to having dual citizenship. Makes sense.

[Edited at 2012-05-28 19:35 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Government contracts May 28, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It is really not worth the hassle. Government contracts are passed on from one supplier to the other, there is not much budget left for (...)

My father used to work for the military.

[Edited at 2012-05-28 14:00 GMT]

To be in the military and handling government contracts are not the same. I noticed two interesting aspects regarding government contracts:
- The entity that takes on a government contract apparently is never the same entity that actually does the work. All kinds of agencies in-between take their nice cuts and there is hardly anything left for the entity who does the actual work - the translator.
- I am bombarded with interesting agency offers in regard to "helping me to obtain government contracts".
"So, what exactly do you do?"
"We help you setting up the contracts and help with the paperwork."
"That's nice. How much?"
"Only $7,500 per contract."
Great. I offer linguistic services, rather than remodeling the Pentagon.

On a related note I'd like to mention that I have done translations for the NATO or the FBI or the BKA and their transatlantic data exchange containing information that IMHO should never, ever have been passed on via regular, non-encrypted email.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I never applied for the German citizenship. May 29, 2012

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

(...) found out that I would never get top secret clearance due to having dual citizenship (...)

I never applied for the German citizenship.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Do they have a top secret clearance? May 29, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

That's a pretty nice sum that they cash. Do those people/companies have a top secret clearance?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
One would hope they do. May 29, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

That's a pretty nice sum that they cash. Do those people/companies have a top secret clearance?

Those agencies however are not the ones that provide any projects, they are just ever so helpful with the paperwork involved.

René Zimmermann
René Zimmermann
Germany
Local time: 14:53
English to German
+ ...
not accurate Aug 22, 2016

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

found out that I would never get top secret clearance due to having dual citizenship.

[Edited at 2012-05-28 19:35 GMT]

I don't think this is accurate information. According to 32 CFR 154.16(c)(1):

"Only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance."

32 CFR 154.16(f) says:

"Persons claiming both U.S. and foreign citizenship shall be processed under § 154.16(b)" which are "Investigative requirements for clearance" that apply to anyone, i.e. no mention of dual-citizens. The mentioned Appendix I also makes no statements about dual-cititzenship. I think you are very well eligible for security clearance.

In fact, working for an LSP, we have a lot of dual-citizens who are granted SC for certain cases.

Cheers

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

US citizen linguists with TOP SECRET clearance

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »