Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Douglas Adams Aug 23, 2011

Giles Watson wrote:

I do rather like the full version that Douglas Adams quotes somewhere in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - "Have a nice day, enjoy your life, die happy and come back as something wonderful".

Not that I would use it in business correspondence, of course!

Giles

This is lovely, Giles! I might just start using it. Most of my clients are very personable and friendly, with a healthy sense of humor. They tell me about their lives often, even send me pictures of their weddings, new homes and new babies. When we wish each other a nice day, we mean it. I think we should close our emails to clients with the line,
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Have a nice day, everyone.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Ildiko! :-) Aug 23, 2011

Ildiko Weinberger wrote:
When we wish each other a nice day, we mean it. I think we should close our emails to clients with the line,
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Have a nice day, everyone.

Same here. There is hardly an email without "Please have a nice day / nice afternoon / great and sunny weekend / gorgeous day / lots of sunshine / nice evening", etc.
There is nothing phony about it.

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Saying 'Goodbye' Is the Hardest Part of an E-mail Aug 23, 2011

I found this article interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/02/AR2009080202073.html

Lots of options out there! Appropriate and inappropriate

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Simples Aug 24, 2011

I believe that this is because the meerkat concerned is a non-native English speaker although he communicates well.
Goodbye indeed and thanks for all the fish and remember the translators' motto
DON'T PANIC

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 12:49
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
So many answers! What's left to say? Aug 24, 2011

Nighty night everyone!

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 18:49
Italian to English
Cheers and Best: common usage in US in certain professional circles Aug 24, 2011

I can add that "Cheers" is one of the sign-offs of choice among graduate students, and in certain contexts, many professors, in the US, and specifically at my two post-graduate universities, the University of Chicago and Yale. This is admittedly a relatively international community, which might have something to do with it.

Over the course of eleven years and counting of exposure to "Cheers" as a sign-off at the end of emails announcing calls for papers, lectures, exhibition opening
... See more
I can add that "Cheers" is one of the sign-offs of choice among graduate students, and in certain contexts, many professors, in the US, and specifically at my two post-graduate universities, the University of Chicago and Yale. This is admittedly a relatively international community, which might have something to do with it.

Over the course of eleven years and counting of exposure to "Cheers" as a sign-off at the end of emails announcing calls for papers, lectures, exhibition openings, film screenings, and etc., I have interpreted it as a way of acknowledging and reinforcing the convival nature of the young scholarly community.

As for "Best", I found this to be the preferred sign-off for art museum professionals at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the University of Chicago's art museum, and the Yale art museums, a fairly broad sample section in the US. I see it as a way of making "Best Regards" more friendly, to acknowledge a serious and professional but also friendly and familiar relationship between sender and recipient.

Cheers!

Sarah
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Never heard "laters"? Aug 24, 2011

Or, even better "laterz"? You have lived a sheltered life!

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I believe that (in British English, at any rate) "cheers" was originally what you said when you were drinking a drink someone had bought you (sometimes accompanied by clinking glasses) and hence became a way of saying "thanks". In London it can become "cheers, mate" - pronounced "cheese mite".
As for "bests" and "laters" for goodbye, best wishes or see you later - I haven't heard them yet and they sound ridiculous to me - but I'm very old-fashioned.
Am I right in thinking that simple "hasta" is used in Spain these days, instead of "hasta luego", etc.? If so, I suppose it's with the same idea of speed and brevity in mind.
Cheese mites,
Jenny

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
I must Aug 24, 2011

say reading all this is fascinating.
Live long and prosper.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Or perhaps I should say ... Aug 27, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Zum Wohl! at the end of your email.

... kampai!

Facebook smileys

I've just discovered that you're from Japan. How is the situation after the nuclear fuel meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi?

Greetings from Florida!

Marina

[Edited at 2011-08-27 14:01 GMT]

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't stop Nov 10, 2011

Caro Giese wrote:

I quite frequently wish people a nice day. I wasn't aware that it can be annoying. And it's not even insincere. But well, I guess I'll stop it then.

I find it quite endearing, especially if a European non-native English speaker says it. This is after working for lots of Spanish agencies and interacting with lots of Spaniards where the most you get is a "vale".

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Have a great day! Nov 10, 2011

Caro Giese wrote:

I quite frequently wish people a nice day. I wasn't aware that it can be annoying. And it's not even insincere. But well, I guess I'll stop it then.

Same here! Usually, I say something like "Have a great day/afternoon/weekend...” especially if I have a good relationship with the client.

I must admit that I do sometimes find it hard to end an email in the English language. I often find 'Sincerely' or 'Best regards' too formal. And just saying 'Thanks,' with my name after it sounds a little abrupt to me.

Therefore, I often add the "Have a great day"...

Uta Kappler
Uta Kappler
United States
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Yet more choices to close an email... Apr 26, 2012

...can be found here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_us/205960-cheers_best_and_bests-page2.html

I choose my closing depending on the recipient, the type and overall tone of communication.

So, if I am exchanging telegram-style or highly technical emails, e.g. with a software engineer, there might n
... See more
...can be found here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_us/205960-cheers_best_and_bests-page2.html

I choose my closing depending on the recipient, the type and overall tone of communication.

So, if I am exchanging telegram-style or highly technical emails, e.g. with a software engineer, there might no even be a closing, just my name or a simple "Thanks, Uta".

Other favorites are "Regards" , "Many thanks", "Enjoy", "Have fun" depending on the situation and recipient. I personally do not use "Cheers" or "Best", or "Bests" at all.

But then, I am not an English native speaker...

Have fun!
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Sincerity Apr 26, 2012

always has underpinned my correspondence.

As a PM I always used to sign "have a good (whatever), best regards" but once I got on friendly terms with a translator I would sign "cheers",

That for me would mean "thanks and talk soon and you know, I not only enjoy working with you, I actually like you too, and if you weren't the other side of the Channel/Atlantic/Alps/ I would like to be saying cheers and raising a glass with you".

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Great vs nice Apr 27, 2012

I used to write "have a nice day" until one day I discovered, to my shame, that it is the usual salutation of shop assistants, so I dropped it and started using "have a great day/week/weekend", as it seems that this form is more acceptable nowadays.
Thanks for a great article from Washington Post. "But you may well feel the chill," - exactly what I felt in response to all these "nice days". "Great days" are met more cheerfully, as they remind about great time or smth like that.
Cheer
... See more
I used to write "have a nice day" until one day I discovered, to my shame, that it is the usual salutation of shop assistants, so I dropped it and started using "have a great day/week/weekend", as it seems that this form is more acceptable nowadays.
Thanks for a great article from Washington Post. "But you may well feel the chill," - exactly what I felt in response to all these "nice days". "Great days" are met more cheerfully, as they remind about great time or smth like that.
Cheers everyone (not to mention bottoms up:)!
BTW, is that right that "Happy Friday" is now used instead of TGIF?

[Edited at 2012-04-27 09:24 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The usual response Apr 27, 2012

The usual response to "have a nice day" is "thank you, but I have other plans".

TTFN
Addio
See you
Take care
I'm outta here

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"Cheers", "Best" and "Bests"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »