Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:05
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2014

I'm currently living in Mexico DF for the long-term and working as a Portuguese & Spanish to English translator (in different fields such legal, bus/fin, etc.), and looking to learn French (as a fourth language) in order to work in the French to English pair once I get mastered in that language (as an idea to offer different language pairs).

I do have my other reasons to learn French and plan to travel annually to Quebec and/or France in order to practice and master the language. A
... See more
I'm currently living in Mexico DF for the long-term and working as a Portuguese & Spanish to English translator (in different fields such legal, bus/fin, etc.), and looking to learn French (as a fourth language) in order to work in the French to English pair once I get mastered in that language (as an idea to offer different language pairs).

I do have my other reasons to learn French and plan to travel annually to Quebec and/or France in order to practice and master the language. After learning Spanish for years, I started learning Portuguese and it was quite easy to learn immediately (due to the similarity between those two languages). Although I am told knowing my three languages will facilitate learning French, I know French will be it different story when it comes to pronunciation (quite distinct from other romance languages!).

I am aware that there different schools offering French courses / certificates in Mexico, such as:

- CELE UNAM
- Alianza Francesa
- Idiomas CUC

However, I am pondering which school to pick, especially that there are price differences amongst them. Alianza Francesa seems to be the most expensive and prestigious of all, so I am thinking that this school would make my CV standout (more than CELE or Idiomas CUC) in the respect if I were to study French there. But I am not sure if in the translation market that they would pay attention to which language school you attend. Or do they look more at your foreign living / travel experiences in a country speaking your second/third/etc. language?

I would like to know what are your ideas concerning this point of view. Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2014-03-06 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French courses/schools in Mexico

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »