81% of employers do not have a hiring policy that favours ATIO translators.
Thread poster: Edward LIU
Edward LIU
Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2008

According to the RESULTS OF THE 2007 SURVEY OF SALARIED TRANSLATORS published on ATIO website, (http://www.atio.on.ca/Membership/Sal_Survey/Sal_Tran_Srvy_Rslts.asp),
81% of respondents‘ employers do not have a hiring policy that favours ATIO translators.

This is indeed a sad news for ATIO members who need to pay hundreds of dollars as membership
... See more
According to the RESULTS OF THE 2007 SURVEY OF SALARIED TRANSLATORS published on ATIO website, (http://www.atio.on.ca/Membership/Sal_Survey/Sal_Tran_Srvy_Rslts.asp),
81% of respondents‘ employers do not have a hiring policy that favours ATIO translators.

This is indeed a sad news for ATIO members who need to pay hundreds of dollars as membership fees to ATIO annually.

What is even sadder is to hear about the author's recommendation for addressing this problem----Talk to your boss about advertising through ATIO the next time your unit is planning to hire a translator.

ATIO should really think hard what it has done in the past and what it can do in the future to increase its reputation as an authoritative trade association and find effective ways to serve its members better.

As we all know, ATIO has set up high hurdles and a grueling process for applicants to qualify its Candidate for Certification, not to mention the difficulty of certification examinations, but why aren't its certified translators recognizd by the employers in the industry? This is an interesting question that everyone of us in this forum should think about.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It may be similar all over the world Jan 18, 2008

Edward LIU wrote:
This is indeed a sad news for ATIO members who need to pay hundreds of dollars as membership fees to ATIO annually.

No doubt the ATIO's argument would be that they are not a job agency and that the membership fee is for other benefits. Personally I think one should regard a translation association as something that benefits the industry as a whole, and not you personally. In this sense, paying your membership fee is social investment.

The association in my country, SATI, has a very good (in one sense) examination process for accreditation of translators, but only one of the local translation agencies that I've done work for, had a policy to prefer SATI accredited translators. Ditto companies that employ translators -- they are either unaware of SATI, or they think SATI is a trade union for translators, or they think SATI is an academic association only, or... they've heard from a friend of a friend that SATI translators aren't really very good.

What is even sadder is to hear about the author's recommendation for addressing this problem----Talk to your boss about advertising through ATIO the next time your unit is planning to hire a translator.

I think the point is that members themselves should take a more active role in promoting the organisation. If your company or group hires translators regularly, you may ask your human resources person permission to repost inhouse job notices to the ATIO mailing list (if such a thing exists).

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:45
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If the companies and PMs calling the ATIO Jan 18, 2008

get the incredibly rude responses which I have encountered more than once when contacting them for information, I am not surprised.
They were in fact so dense, and unhelpful that I ended up joining the ATA (with an equally gruelling examination, etc.)instead, and for a Canadian, that is saying something.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

81% of employers do not have a hiring policy that favours ATIO translators.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »