Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Welcome to the forum for translation in Canada.
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Vladimir Kolteniuk
Vladimir Kolteniuk  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Specifics of translation/intepretation in Canada Nov 6, 2007

The bulk of translation (and probably less so of interpretation) work in Canada seems to be between the two federal official languages, English and French, so it's a pretty good language pair to have for a translator in Canada. Also, from what I heard thru the grapevine, there is a lot of work for English-Spanish translators. I thought it was strange since there are not many Hispanics around, but when I read in a survey for Canadian language services that
"...translation is strongly orien
... See more
The bulk of translation (and probably less so of interpretation) work in Canada seems to be between the two federal official languages, English and French, so it's a pretty good language pair to have for a translator in Canada. Also, from what I heard thru the grapevine, there is a lot of work for English-Spanish translators. I thought it was strange since there are not many Hispanics around, but when I read in a survey for Canadian language services that
"...translation is strongly oriented towards the United States:
─ The United States constitutes the main export market for 70% of businesses
operating in this sector and is responsible for 67% of export revenues."

...I realized that was where local Spanish translators got their jobs.

Also there is a huge demand for the rising stars such as Mandarine and Cantonese, and some East Indian languages.

Not so much luck for Russian-English translators, like myself...
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:30
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
CheerZ from Uruguay Nov 6, 2007

Hi CanadianZ / Salut Canadien(ne)Z

Wish you best luck with this new forum.
I was lucky to visit your country in 1994: Québec, Montréal, Hull, Ottawa, Toronto. I enjoyed your landscapes, cities, culture, history, people...
And I met many fellow Uruguayans in the very cosmopolitan Montréal as well.

Warm greetings from Montevideo,
Fabio Descalzi

Damon Loomer
Damon Loomer  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
tempest in a teacup -- for most of us anyway Nov 6, 2007

Thanks for your concern, Ingeborg. It turned out not to be such a big thing after all. The power cuts are de rigeur though, it seems, whenever there's any kind of a blow around here. I think I heard you got snow up there, so that's worse!
Ingeborg Gowans wrote:

Damon Loomer wrote:

This forum grew out of the Montreal conference a few weeks ago. I think everyone there wanted to keep talking and exchanging ideas, opinions, experiences, even as the last coffee trolley was being wheeled away! I hope some of that enthusiastic discussion will continue here.
In Nova Scotia, in the meantime, we're just getting back to normal after "post-tropical storm Noel" hit Saturday overnight. Nothing like hurrican Juan (in '03), thank goodness. 14 hours without power, though -- one of the challenges of freelance translation around here has become working offline on a laptop in the cold (on a "rush job" for Monday!).
I look forward to getting to know you all.

HOPE THE STORM DIDN'T CAUSE ANY SERIOUS DAMAGE IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD. sAW IT ON THE NEWS.(sorry for the caplocks; they seem to come on by themselves)
I think it's great that you are willing to be our moderator.
Halifax is a second home to our family. We spend all our summers there.
I am working in new Brunswick (Edmundston) and the proximity of Quebec menas that I am living in a 95% French population.
Language pairs English/German and French/German/English . I think this is a super idea to have a Forum for Canadians. eh??

Damon Loomer
Spanish to English
+ ...
Technically challenged moderator?! Nov 6, 2007

Ingeborg, I posted a reply to you about the storm, but it ended up on the other thread of this forum! In any case, thanks for your concern. Everything's back to normal here!
Ingeborg Gowans wrote:

Damon Loomer wrote:

This forum grew out of the Montreal conference a few weeks ago. I think everyone there wanted to keep talking and exchanging ideas, opinions, experiences, even as the last coffee trolley was being wheeled away! I hope some of that enthusiastic discussion will continue here.
In Nova Scotia, in the meantime, we're just getting back to normal after "post-tropical storm Noel" hit Saturday overnight. Nothing like hurrican Juan (in '03), thank goodness. 14 hours without power, though -- one of the challenges of freelance translation around here has become working offline on a laptop in the cold (on a "rush job" for Monday!).
I look forward to getting to know you all.

HOPE THE STORM DIDN'T CAUSE ANY SERIOUS DAMAGE IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD. sAW IT ON THE NEWS.(sorry for the caplocks; they seem to come on by themselves)
I think it's great that you are willing to be our moderator.
Halifax is a second home to our family. We spend all our summers there.
I am working in new Brunswick (Edmundston) and the proximity of Quebec menas that I am living in a 95% French population.
Language pairs English/German and French/German/English . I think this is a super idea to have a Forum for Canadians. eh??

Damon Loomer
Spanish to English
+ ...
More technically challenged moderator experiments Nov 6, 2007

OK, so the first message went to the right thread after all! Time for lunch. I think I'll take a look at the instruction manual...

Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:30
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Greetings from London, Ontario Nov 7, 2007

Hi,

I love the idea of a Canadian forum. I mainly work for agencies abroad, though within Canada I handle a lot of immigration documents and also work as an interpreter in London and area. I translate from Spanish and French into English. I moved back here from Peru 4 years ago and had a tougher time than I thought I would readjusting to life in Canada.
I haven't gone for my certification yet as each year I plan to join in the fall in order to take the exam in February but so
... See more
Hi,

I love the idea of a Canadian forum. I mainly work for agencies abroad, though within Canada I handle a lot of immigration documents and also work as an interpreter in London and area. I translate from Spanish and French into English. I moved back here from Peru 4 years ago and had a tougher time than I thought I would readjusting to life in Canada.
I haven't gone for my certification yet as each year I plan to join in the fall in order to take the exam in February but somehow miss the deadline every time! I do not agree with certification being valid only as long as you are a member and also having to become a member several months before the certification examination which means that two years membership are required before the exam can be taken. I have built up a steady clientele without this although I'm still always on the hunt for more work!
I have recently taken on work in 'linguistic validation' which gives me a chance to explore the subtle differences between Canadian English and US or British English.

That's all for now, once again, congrats on the Canadian forum, let's hope we can keep it active!
Collapse

printedpage
printedpage  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Hello from Montreal Nov 7, 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to see this forum! I was at the ProZ conference in Montreal. I enjoyed the experience so much that I decided to go back to University and officially get certified (a lot of talk about certification at the conference)...

I've been a freelance translator in Montreal for the past 10 years, mainly translating from English to French. I also translate from French to English, Greek to English and Greek to French when asked.

It's nice to se
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to see this forum! I was at the ProZ conference in Montreal. I enjoyed the experience so much that I decided to go back to University and officially get certified (a lot of talk about certification at the conference)...

I've been a freelance translator in Montreal for the past 10 years, mainly translating from English to French. I also translate from French to English, Greek to English and Greek to French when asked.

It's nice to see posts from friends who were at the conference! I look forward to exchanging ideas with all of you.

Eugenia
La Page Imprimée
The Printed Page
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you, proz.com Nov 7, 2007

for starting this forum, and a bilingual forum! We can write in one of the two official languages.
The Proz.com conference in Montreal was a great success. The speakers were truly inspired and the crowd relatively small but very attentive.
We are also working to attract more students to proz.com, as the ideal school of real life translation, la vraie vie de la traduction.
In Montreal we formed a committee working on student membership and anybody who wants to promote proz.co
... See more
for starting this forum, and a bilingual forum! We can write in one of the two official languages.
The Proz.com conference in Montreal was a great success. The speakers were truly inspired and the crowd relatively small but very attentive.
We are also working to attract more students to proz.com, as the ideal school of real life translation, la vraie vie de la traduction.
In Montreal we formed a committee working on student membership and anybody who wants to promote proz.com to our translation students, is very welcome to do so.
We need to attract more students to our translation schools or more translators to come and work in Canada from all over the world.
We are already thinking about next year conference in Canada. Let's all pitch in to make the next proz.com conference in Canada another success.
Collapse

ModusVivendi (X)
ModusVivendi (X)
Local time: 21:30
English to French
Very good idea, Henry Nov 7, 2007

I think the first conference in Montreal has demonstrated how much the translators need and want to network and to exchange.

It was a great success, in that a lot of people realised there are not alone.

Thank you for all your initiatives.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:30
English to German
+ ...
Greetings from the West Coast... Nov 9, 2007

... from beautiful British Columbia! I translate from English into German and have been living and working in Canada for the past 23 years. My specialties include law and mining. In those fields, I'm working for a good number of direct clients (local law firms, Canada Immigration, mining companies). In addition and because I need a creative outlet from time to time, I am also cheerfully translating huge amounts of rather obscure esoteric texts for an international publishing house (about 40.000 ... See more
... from beautiful British Columbia! I translate from English into German and have been living and working in Canada for the past 23 years. My specialties include law and mining. In those fields, I'm working for a good number of direct clients (local law firms, Canada Immigration, mining companies). In addition and because I need a creative outlet from time to time, I am also cheerfully translating huge amounts of rather obscure esoteric texts for an international publishing house (about 40.000 words per month).
As certified member of our provincial translators’ association - STIBC -, I can proudly report that in this province, we have successfully secured the Protection of the following Occupational Titles:
Certified Translator (C.T.), Certified Conference Interpreter (C.C.I.), Certified Court Interpreter (C. Crt. I.) Certified Terminologist (C. Term.).
Here at Proz.com I help keeping an eye on the English-German KudoZ section. I’m so sorry that I missed the Montreal conference - my only excuse being that I attended a hugely popular Powwow in Germany during that time
It’s lovely to have this forum for Canadian affairs – thanks for creating it!
johanna
Collapse

Damon Loomer
Spanish to English
+ ...
certification issues Nov 9, 2007

Congratulations to STIBC for securing official protection for the Certified Translator (C.T.) title, among others, as Johanna Timm reports.
Here in Nova Scotia, we are making efforts to ramp up our organization's activities (new ATINS website in the making, dedicated phone line, low-key membership drive, among others). Official recognition seems a far-off goal though. I've only been on the ATINS Board for just over a year, so I'm not up on all the issues, but I think our very small size (
... See more
Congratulations to STIBC for securing official protection for the Certified Translator (C.T.) title, among others, as Johanna Timm reports.
Here in Nova Scotia, we are making efforts to ramp up our organization's activities (new ATINS website in the making, dedicated phone line, low-key membership drive, among others). Official recognition seems a far-off goal though. I've only been on the ATINS Board for just over a year, so I'm not up on all the issues, but I think our very small size (55 members) makes it much more difficult for us to be "taken seriously".
Lack of official status doesn't seem to affect anyone I know on a financial level -- freelancers in NS make our money with out-of-province, usually corporate clients. However, I do get quite a few calls from people, usually immigrants, asking for "official translations" of documents from Latin American countries. In their countries, sworn translators ("traductores jurados") are the people to go to. These translators have an official "stamp" that carries the same weight as a notary's stamp on a translated document. It's always uncomfortable for me to have to explain that I am a certified translator, but that there is no "stamp" here (or even official recognition of my status, though I don't say that).
Generally, there's no problem with my translations being accepted by government authorities, but I had to spend most of Wednesday morning on the phone, patiently explaining to people at the provincial agency that issues driver's licences that ATINS exists, what we do and why we are the people to go to for translations.
So, what I would throw out here is:
1. What is the state of certification, recognition (official or otherwise) of the C.T.? Are you happy with the state of things? What work needs to be done?
2. Taking up a comment by Lynda Tharratt, is it right that certification be dependent on membership in a provincial association? What about having to earn continuing education points, like the American Translators Association has instated, in order to keep your certification?
I look forward to hearing your replies!
Collapse

PRen (X)
PRen (X)
Canada
French to English
+ ...
ATIA Nov 9, 2007

Hi Damon, I'm newly arrived in Nova Scotia but am still an ATIA member for the rest of this year (I work in French to English, mostly for the Bureau). ATIA did a lot of "client education" and now all registry offices in Alberta automatically turn to the ATIA directory/website for translations (by certified, not associate, members). ATIA offers its certified members a stamp stating that they are indeed certified members of ATIA. There is a deposit fee required for the stamp, and errors and omis... See more
Hi Damon, I'm newly arrived in Nova Scotia but am still an ATIA member for the rest of this year (I work in French to English, mostly for the Bureau). ATIA did a lot of "client education" and now all registry offices in Alberta automatically turn to the ATIA directory/website for translations (by certified, not associate, members). ATIA offers its certified members a stamp stating that they are indeed certified members of ATIA. There is a deposit fee required for the stamp, and errors and omissions insurance is also required to get the stamp. I have a statutory declaration form that was drawn up for me by a lawyer and which I attach to translations of official documents where required, bearing my stamp. I used to get the stat. dec. signed by a notary, but with the stamp and ATIA's education efforts, that is no longer necessary. So, your morning explaining certification (CTTIC) to provincial authorities was indeed time well spent. If ATINS has printed directories, it might be a good idea to send them copies, or again, refer them to the Web site and the names of the certified members.

Paula
Collapse

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
How about a separate thread for this topic? Nov 14, 2007

Damon Loomer wrote:

Here in Nova Scotia, we are making efforts to ramp up our organization's activities (new ATINS website in the making, dedicated phone line, low-key membership drive, among others). Official recognition seems a far-off goal though. I've only been on the ATINS Board for just over a year, so I'm not up on all the issues, but I think our very small size (55 members) makes it much more difficult for us to be "taken seriously".
Lack of official status doesn't seem to affect anyone I know on a financial level -- freelancers in NS make our money with out-of-province, usually corporate clients. However, I do get quite a few calls from people, usually immigrants, asking for "official translations" of documents from Latin American countries. In their countries, sworn translators ("traductores jurados") are the people to go to. These translators have an official "stamp" that carries the same weight as a notary's stamp on a translated document. It's always uncomfortable for me to have to explain that I am a certified translator, but that there is no "stamp" here (or even official recognition of my status, though I don't say that).
Generally, there's no problem with my translations being accepted by government authorities, but I had to spend most of Wednesday morning on the phone, patiently explaining to people at the provincial agency that issues driver's licences that ATINS exists, what we do and why we are the people to go to for translations.
So, what I would throw out here is:
1. What is the state of certification, recognition (official or otherwise) of the C.T.? Are you happy with the state of things? What work needs to be done?
2. Taking up a comment by Lynda Tharratt, is it right that certification be dependent on membership in a provincial association? What about having to earn continuing education points, like the American Translators Association has instated, in order to keep your certification?
I look forward to hearing your replies!

Damon,

This is a really good issue, one I have been wanting to discuss time and time again. Maybe it would be interesting to create a separate thread in this Canadian forum just to discuss this. When I have more time I will participate in the discussion.

Nicholas

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it would make a good topic for a new thread Nov 15, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:
Damon Loomer wrote:
Congratulations to STIBC for securing official protection for the Certified Translator (C.T.) title...

This is a really good issue, one I have been wanting to discuss time and time again. Maybe it would be interesting to create a separate thread in this Canadian forum just to discuss this. When I have more time I will participate in the discussion.

Yes, normally when the topic changes like this, it is best to open a new thread, so that people can find the topic more easily from the list of topics in the forum.

Please feel free to open a new thread!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Welcome to the forum for translation in Canada.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »