https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_canada/278264-how_to_work_as_an_independant_in_canada_quebec.html&phpv_redirected=1

How to work as an independant in Canada/Quebec
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:10
English to French
+ ...
Nov 25, 2014

Hello everybody,

This message is directed to the colleagues working in Canada and specifically in Quebec ;

I received my selection certificate and was wondering what does it get to freelance in Canada here are my most bugging questions :

1. Do I need a company structure to start working ?

2. Do I need to be certfied or to have done translation studies to offer translation services ?

3. How do I manage the whole financial thi
... See more
Hello everybody,

This message is directed to the colleagues working in Canada and specifically in Quebec ;

I received my selection certificate and was wondering what does it get to freelance in Canada here are my most bugging questions :

1. Do I need a company structure to start working ?

2. Do I need to be certfied or to have done translation studies to offer translation services ?

3. How do I manage the whole financial thing ? Do I need a business acount ? How do you do the taxes ? Is it legal to work for international clients or do I need a special permit ?

Feel free to fill me in on anything I could be missing.

Kind regards,

Mohamed
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:10
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Working in Quebec Nov 25, 2014

If you are working as a freelancer in Quebec under your own name you do not need to register a company.

If you have less than $30,000 CAD in total worldwide sales per year you do not need to register for sales tax. However, you will not be able to get your sales taxes paid on any purchases refunded if you are not registered. If you anticipate more than $30,000 in annual sales you would be better to register early, it just means some more paperwork, but you get advantage of Quebe
... See more
If you are working as a freelancer in Quebec under your own name you do not need to register a company.

If you have less than $30,000 CAD in total worldwide sales per year you do not need to register for sales tax. However, you will not be able to get your sales taxes paid on any purchases refunded if you are not registered. If you anticipate more than $30,000 in annual sales you would be better to register early, it just means some more paperwork, but you get advantage of Quebec's VAT style taxes.

You do not need to be certified or have undertaken any studies to work as a freelance translator. However, in this case you cannot claim to be a "certified translator". Neither will you be able to work directly with certain government departments which require a certified translator. There is plenty of work translating between French and English even if you are not certified, assuming, of course, that you are an excellent translator. In due course you may wish to obtain certification by OTTIAQ.

You do not need any permit to work with international clients.

You are not obliged to have a business account if you operate in your own name, although your bank may start asking you to if you do business in large amounts of money. That is, however, between you and your bank, not a requirement.

You are responsible to keep accurate accounts and report your income accurately to both the Quebec government and the Federal government. You should keep all your records and substantiating documents for 7 years in case you are audited. (I have had 3 tax audits over the years. In each case the government auditor found the government owed me a small sum, so there is nothing to worry about from an audit as long as your records are clean and complete.)

[Edited at 2014-11-25 20:01 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excellent info Nov 27, 2014

Excellent information John, it covers everything.

I would only add a personal suggestion: I keep a separate accounts in different banks for my personal and business banking, so that the two never get mixed up. If you don't work under your own name but have a company name, I would recommend registering, so that that name is taken and cannot be used by anyone else. You would only need to register, not incorporate, but an accountant to do your taxes is then mandatory. I would recommen
... See more
Excellent information John, it covers everything.

I would only add a personal suggestion: I keep a separate accounts in different banks for my personal and business banking, so that the two never get mixed up. If you don't work under your own name but have a company name, I would recommend registering, so that that name is taken and cannot be used by anyone else. You would only need to register, not incorporate, but an accountant to do your taxes is then mandatory. I would recommend that in any case, unless you are really good with numbers.

Good luck!
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:10
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 27, 2014

Thank you both for Your enlightening explanations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work as an independant in Canada/Quebec

Translation news in Canada

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »