Thread poster: Fang Liang
Fang Liang
Fang Liang
Canada
Local time: 07:59
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
Jul 10, 2014

As a freelance translator and copywriter, I just moved from China to Canada.
I began to get some business here in Ontario and about to issue my first invoice to my client, which is advertising agency. The offer they gave me is like "$***+HST per hour. Does this mean that I should charge them extra money for tax? For example,

The total charge is $100 before tax.
I charge the client 100+100*13%=$113

If yes, when and how should I submit this tax money ($13?) to
... See more
I began to get some business here in Ontario and about to issue my first invoice to my client, which is advertising agency. The offer they gave me is like "$***+HST per hour. Does this mean that I should charge them extra money for tax? For example,

If yes, when and how should I submit this tax money ($13?) to the government?

I also undertood that if my income per year is under $30,000, I don't have to register to be a formal business. In this case, should I just invoice the client $100 only?

Looking forward to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance.

[修改时间: 2014-07-10 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Canada Revenue Agency Oct 10, 2014

You should see the Canada Revenue Agency site http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/menu-eng.html

Jean-Pierre

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
GST/HST Nov 7, 2014

You could still choose not to register/incorporate when your income is above 30k but you do need to register for GSH/HST after that. You can't add tax to your invoice unless you have registered for a GST/HST account and received your GST number. When you register for a GST/HST account, they will give you an option to clear monthly, quarterly or annually and you could certainly balance it off with GST you've paid for certain business expenses (like for gas, ...).

Sophia Liang wrote:

If yes, when and how should I submit this tax money ($13?) to the government?

I also undertood that if my income per year is under $30,000, I don't have to register to be a formal business. In this case, should I just invoice the client $100 only?

Looking forward to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance.

[修改时间: 2014-07-10 21:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HST policy for freelancer in Toronto

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »