Thread poster: Fang Liang
Fang Liang
Fang Liang
Canada
Local time: 10:59
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
Jul 10, 2014

As a freelance translator and copywriter, I just moved from China to Canada.
I began to get some business here in Ontario and about to issue my first invoice to my client, which is advertising agency. The offer they gave me is like "$***+HST per hour. Does this mean that I should charge them extra money for tax? For example,

The total charge is $100 before tax.
I charge the client 100+100*13%=$113

If yes, when and how should I sumit this tax money ($13?) to
... See more
As a freelance translator and copywriter, I just moved from China to Canada.
I began to get some business here in Ontario and about to issue my first invoice to my client, which is advertising agency. The offer they gave me is like "$***+HST per hour. Does this mean that I should charge them extra money for tax? For example,

The total charge is $100 before tax.
I charge the client 100+100*13%=$113

If yes, when and how should I sumit this tax money ($13?) to the government?
I undertood that if my income per year is under $30,000, I don't have to register to be a formal business. In this case, should I just invoice the client $100 only?

Looking forward to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
HST non payer Jul 11, 2014

Hi,
At the end of the day you are the one who issues the invoice.
If you are not a HST payer, you just issue the invoice for the total amount without breaking the amount into the cost+HST. You may indicate in the heading of your invoice that your HST/GST number is 0 - means you have none.
Now, it is between you and your client if you charge them $100 or $114 - in any case it will be a full amount.
Regards,
Ewa

[Edited at 2014-07-11 21:09 GMT]

[Edited
... See more
Hi,
If you are not a HST payer, you just issue the invoice for the total amount without breaking the amount into the cost+HST. You may indicate in the heading of your invoice that your HST/GST number is 0 - means you have none.
Now, it is between you and your client if you charge them $100 or $114 - in any case it will be a full amount.
Regards,
Ewa

Collapse

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

FYI Jul 22, 2014

Ewa Olszowa wrote:

Hi,
Regards,
Ewa

You cannot simply charge HST if you are not registered for HST. You just charge your invoice without.

Fang Liang
Fang Liang
Canada
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 23, 2014

Thank you Ewa.

Ewa Olszowa wrote:

Hi,
Regards,
Ewa

Fang Liang
Fang Liang
Canada
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys. Jul 23, 2014

It's pretty clear now. I should only charge $100 before I register to be a HST payer.

Thanks a lot for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax issue for new freelancer in Canada

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »