https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_canada/247087-ata_certification_vs_cttic_certification.html&phpv_redirected=1

ATA certification vs. CTTIC certification
Thread poster: pikachupichu
pikachupichu
pikachupichu  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:33
English to Japanese
+ ...
Apr 14, 2013

I understand that the pass rate is as low as below 20% for ATA. In some language directions, it is around 12% per the ATA Chronic, October 12, 2012, on page 28.

As far as I know, no pass rate is announced for CTTIC.

Do you have any ideas regarding pass rate of CTTIC?

Also, in terms of my Canadian citizenship (currently living in Japan, seeking a chance to permanently return to Canada), is CTTIC certification more attractive?

[Edited at 2013
... See more
I understand that the pass rate is as low as below 20% for ATA. In some language directions, it is around 12% per the ATA Chronic, October 12, 2012, on page 28.

Also, in terms of my Canadian citizenship (currently living in Japan, seeking a chance to permanently return to Canada), is CTTIC certification more attractive?

[Edited at 2013-04-15 09:28 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
CTTIC Apr 14, 2013

If you want to be certified in Canada, choose the CTTIC. But first you need to become a member of the Translators Association of the province where you will be living. There you pass an 'associate' exam before you write the CTTIC certification exam.

I forgot to mention that my certified translations have always been accepted in the US, no questions asked.

If think looking only at the passing rate is not a good reason to base your choice on. You should consider what is b
... See more
If you want to be certified in Canada, choose the CTTIC. But first you need to become a member of the Translators Association of the province where you will be living. There you pass an 'associate' exam before you write the CTTIC certification exam.

I forgot to mention that my certified translations have always been accepted in the US, no questions asked.

If think looking only at the passing rate is not a good reason to base your choice on. You should consider what is best for your ability to practice in Canada. In order to be accepted as certified, it would really be better i.m.o. to have Canadian certification.

P.S. Why do you say that Japanese and English are not a 'popular' language combination?

[Edited at 2013-04-14 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
From what people said... Apr 14, 2013

In the pauses between the papers in my ATA certification exam in Michigan in 2008, I had the chance to have a chat with several people who came over from Canada to do the examination. They said that the pass rate was lower in the Canadian certification exams than in ATA's. I can't tell whether this was true or not, but that is what I heard from them.

pikachupichu
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am now a member Apr 14, 2013

I am now a member of a provincial body.
I am trying to gather the information as much as possible.

The reason of my posting is the information of CTTIC exam is not disclosed so much compared to those of ATA including the pass rates in the past, the style guide, the passages in the past exams, and the unavailability of practise exam.

In addition, my language pair is considered unpopular in Canada, so it is a bit difficult to get the precise information.
<
... See more
I am now a member of a provincial body.
I am trying to gather the information as much as possible.

The reason of my posting is the information of CTTIC exam is not disclosed so much compared to those of ATA including the pass rates in the past, the style guide, the passages in the past exams, and the unavailability of practise exam.

In addition, my language pair is considered unpopular in Canada, so it is a bit difficult to get the precise information.

The only available data regarding the pass rate are on page 6 of the document in the first link and on page 4 of the document in the second link.

http://www.cttic.org/ACTI/2012/Actes/Marielle%20Godbout.pdf

http://www.atio.on.ca/informatio/issues/volume35.2en.pdf

According to the second document, the passing rate of from-English was 31%, while that of into-English was 14% in 2005. Especially, from English to French and from French to English pass rates were 6% and 4% respectively. French and English are the official languages of Canada, so the criteria for the translations between French and English are supposed to be higher than any other language combination.

But, I am sure that the pass rates are expected to be improved because ATIO, the Ontario body, already implemented an admission exam which had been adopted by some other provincial bodies. ATIO accounts for app. 80% of the exam writers across Canada, so I can tell that the trends in Ontario have been similar with the national one.

Or I will try to be certified through On-Dossier as I am currently residing out of Canada.

PS: Dear Tomás,

Can you recall if the Canadians were talking about specific language directions or general trends?

[Edited at 2013-04-14 18:36 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What I remember Apr 14, 2013

pikachupichu wrote:
Can you recall if the Canadians were talking about specific language directions or general trends?

The two people I spoke longer with were doing English into Russian and English into German (or German into English); the Russian person was a Russian native living in Canada, while I think the second person was a Auslandsdeutsche (a German permanently living abroad) or a Canadian with a German ascent. That's at least what I remember...

pikachupichu
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simply a matter of population Apr 14, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:

If think looking only at the passing rate is not a good reason to base your choice on. You should consider what is best for your ability to practice in Canada. In order to be accepted as certified, it would really be better i.m.o. to have Canadian certification.

P.S. Why do you say that Japanese and English are not a 'popular' language combination?

[Edited at 2013-04-14 19:19 GMT]

I am simply trying to figure out what certification exam is. ATA data are only for reference purpose.

Regarding my quote of "Japanese and English combination as unpopular", this is simply a matter of population in Canada. In Canada, the main stream is French - English, followed by German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Chinese. This is my understanding. Actually, when I was working for a company based in Canada, it was hard to find qualified Japanese to English translators in outsourcing over 500-page highly technical document translation. Finally I was forced to do despite my role at that time was sales promotion. On contrary, Chinese sales team had no problem in outsourcing the translation tasks.

[Edited at 2013-04-14 20:10 GMT]

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:33
Polish to English
+ ...
Take the preparatory course Apr 14, 2013

You can practice the Canadian examinations when you take the exam preparatory course in Fall (offered by ATIO). The texts will not be much different during the exam (they look like articles from newspapers in most cases).
I recall from the year 2011 exam - the examination room in Toronto was full of people - probably 200 or more, then there was the afternoon exam - and I am not sure how many people writing in other cities in Ontario - and the list of people who got certified that year (by
... See more
You can practice the Canadian examinations when you take the exam preparatory course in Fall (offered by ATIO). The texts will not be much different during the exam (they look like articles from newspapers in most cases).
I recall from the year 2011 exam - the examination room in Toronto was full of people - probably 200 or more, then there was the afternoon exam - and I am not sure how many people writing in other cities in Ontario - and the list of people who got certified that year (by examination) included about 20-30 names - so the passing rate was probably about 10% (in Ontario).

[Edited at 2013-04-14 22:00 GMT]
Collapse

pikachupichu
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got a link Apr 14, 2013

Dear Ewa,

http://www.atio.on.ca/misc/PrepCourse/Information_EN.pdf

This is of 2012. I am expecting that ATIO will hold a session this year, too.

Regarding the below link of 2006, there are 36 people listed as newly certified translators via exam. (One person got certified for both directions at the same time.) However, there are only 10 peo
... See more
Dear Ewa,

http://www.atio.on.ca/misc/PrepCourse/Information_EN.pdf

This is of 2012. I am expecting that ATIO will hold a session this year, too.

Regarding the below link of 2006, there are 36 people listed as newly certified translators via exam. (One person got certified for both directions at the same time.) However, there are only 10 people certified into English.

http://www.atio.on.ca/informatio/issues/volume35.2en.pdf

Assuming that the afternoon session is only for those translating into English and the number of candidates is almost same in each year, the pass rate seems to be around 5%. If all candidates are were writing the exam together in the afternoon, the passing rate seems to be around 17%.

[Edited at 2013-04-15 06:39 GMT]
Collapse

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
course Apr 15, 2013

The afternoon session is for people taking two examinations at the same time - could be English to two different foreign languages.
The information about 2013 preparatory course should be posted in Summer as it usually starts first week of September.
Regards,
Ewa

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:33
English to German
+ ...
popular - in British Columbia Apr 15, 2013

Vancouver, B.C. has a large Asian population, and English-Japanese translators are well represented in our directory: the current STIBC directory lists 19 certified English-Japanese translators (compared to just 4 in Ontario's ATIO).
Maybe there's more work out west in your language combination?

I can also confirm what Tina said: I have been certified for English-German and German-English since the late Nineties, and my (STIBC-certified) translations have so far been accepte
... See more
Vancouver, B.C. has a large Asian population, and English-Japanese translators are well represented in our directory: the current STIBC directory lists 19 certified English-Japanese translators (compared to just 4 in Ontario's ATIO).

I can also confirm what Tina said: I have been certified for English-German and German-English since the late Nineties, and my (STIBC-certified) translations have so far been accepted not only in the US, but also by the German authorities. It's definitely a valuable credential to have.

johanna
Collapse

pikachupichu
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vancouver, B.C. is my desired place to live Apr 15, 2013

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

I can also confirm what Tina said: I have been certified for English-German and German-English since the late Nineties, and my (STIBC-certified) translations have so far been accepted not only in the US, but also by the German authorities. It's definitely a valuable credential to have.

johanna

Dear Johanna,

You are absolutely right. Vancouver, B.C. is a right place to live when I return to Canada permanently, rather than going back to Ontario, my former residence.

I appreciate all of proz.com members posting to this thread. I am confident that I got all of the information I have been looking for.

[Edited at 2013-04-15 03:08 GMT]

pikachupichu
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for my typo. The exact name of the magazine is ATA Chronicle. Apr 18, 2013

pikachupichu wrote:

[Edited at 2013-04-15 09:28 GMT]

QAMAR TYYEBI
QAMAR TYYEBI
Canada
Urdu to English
+ ...
ATA Membership May 10, 2018

Is it worthwhile to have an ATA membership when I already have ATIO/STIBC certifications?

Can an ATA member increase your chances of getting more business from across the border in URDU/ENGLISH combination?

[Edited at 2018-05-10 22:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA certification vs. CTTIC certification

Translation news in Canada

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »