Thread poster: Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2013

I am currently living in Canada, and I am an Eng to Spa STIBC certified translator. My work flow is limited, as Spanish is not one of the major languages in British Columbia, the province I live in now. I presented the ATA Certification Exam last year unsuccessfully, and I want to present it again this year. I would like to know if someone living in BC has passed this exam for the Eng to Spa pair; I really want to know what dictionaries that person used, preparation for the exam, resources, et... See more
I am currently living in Canada, and I am an Eng to Spa STIBC certified translator. My work flow is limited, as Spanish is not one of the major languages in British Columbia, the province I live in now. I presented the ATA Certification Exam last year unsuccessfully, and I want to present it again this year. I would like to know if someone living in BC has passed this exam for the Eng to Spa pair; I really want to know what dictionaries that person used, preparation for the exam, resources, etc.

Thanks in advance

Clisaz

[Edited at 2013-01-25 21:19 GMT]
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My reply to a similar question in 2007 Jan 26, 2013

Rather than cut and paste my previous answer, see:

http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/73442-im_taking_the_ata_certification_exam_next_month_any_tips.html

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:02
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two cents more Jan 27, 2013

You can completely rely on Steve's advice. With his three ATA certifications, he clearly knows what he talks about.

May I ask you whether you took a practice test in your previous go at the exam? What did the test show?

To me, something that is an absolute must is to hire an ATA-certified translator in your language pair to do at least 6-7 translations in the conditions of the exam (
... See more
You can completely rely on Steve's advice. With his three ATA certifications, he clearly knows what he talks about.

May I ask you whether you took a practice test in your previous go at the exam? What did the test show?

To me, something that is an absolute must is to hire an ATA-certified translator in your language pair to do at least 6-7 translations in the conditions of the exam (limited time, handwritten, no electronic devices, dictionaries you plan to take to the exam...). You would scan your handwritten translation, send it over to the translator, and see what he/she has to say about how to improve them.

This is an exam with very exacting requirements and you need to pinpoint your weaknesses and work on them. The translator you hire can explain what went wrong and how to correct it, and will surely tell you what things you should study or read about.
Collapse

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could you please elaborate? Jan 27, 2013

Tomas, I did not take any of the practice tests; this time, I am taking your advice and order some. I am not sure I understand what you mean by "hiring an ATA-certified translator in you language pair", I did not even know that was something you could do. Could you please elaborate a little on this?

Thanks in adavance,

Clara

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Steven! Jan 27, 2013

I will take every dictionary I own, and probably try to get some more!

Thanks,

Clara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed on preparing for ATA Certification Exam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »