Comment jurer une traduction si j'habite a Québec? ?
Thread poster: Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:15
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2012

Hi there,
I would like your help.
I translated a legal doc for a client in Alberta (Arabic Into English). They asked me to 'certify' or 'jurer' the document. Shall I proceed to the Notary or to the so called 'commissaire d'assermentation'? or else?. Please advise on the best way to proceed?

Cheers
NB: I am not yet a member in the OTTIAQ.

Cheers
Fouad

Ola Bietti
Ola Bietti  Identity Verified
Poland
French to Polish
+ ...
only a certified/sworn translator can certify his translation (?) Feb 1, 2012

Hi,
I was thinking about your question and I admit I am not sure I understand (but I am not from Canada, so that might be a reason too).
As far as I know in order to be able to certify a document (translation) as "conforme" (in accordance with) to the original (in other language) you have to be a sworn translator of those two languages. How someone who doesn't speak Arabic could certify that your translation is a proper translation of the original?
Concerning the commisaire a l
... See more
Hi,
I was thinking about your question and I admit I am not sure I understand (but I am not from Canada, so that might be a reason too).
As far as I know in order to be able to certify a document (translation) as "conforme" (in accordance with) to the original (in other language) you have to be a sworn translator of those two languages. How someone who doesn't speak Arabic could certify that your translation is a proper translation of the original?
Concerning the commisaire a l'assermentation, I found that information (http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/francais/sujets/glossaire/comm-asser.htm):
"Un commissaire à l'assermentation ne peut pas :
de par sa fonction, attester qu’une copie d’un document est conforme à l’original. Il peut cependant faire prêter le serment à la personne qui lui présente cette copie et lui déclare qu’elle est conforme au document original. Toutefois, cette déclaration n’a pas pour effet de donner une valeur authentique à cette copie. En effet, seul le dépositaire d’un document authentique (ex. : le notaire pour le testament notarié, le directeur de l’État civil pour un certificat de naissance) peut attribuer une telle valeur à une copie. "
Which basically means what I tried to explain before... I hope my answer somehow helps - let me know
Cheers,
Ola
Collapse

Fouad El karnichi
Canada
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 2, 2012

Thanks a lot Ola. I appreciate your feedback.
I think I missed to clarify a point in my previous message ..oops!

The agency I work for in Alberta asked me to only get the Affidavit signed by a notary public. The Affidavit states that I 'The translator' swear that I did translate this document to the best of my knowledge and that I processed dully and fully all the contents of the document ( divorce and inheretance content type!).

Again, that is what that specific
... See more
Thanks a lot Ola. I appreciate your feedback.
I think I missed to clarify a point in my previous message ..oops!

The agency I work for in Alberta asked me to only get the Affidavit signed by a notary public. The Affidavit states that I 'The translator' swear that I did translate this document to the best of my knowledge and that I processed dully and fully all the contents of the document ( divorce and inheretance content type!).

Again, that is what that specific client wants, and they think that it is workable. Nothing is certain in nowadays market place. Perhaps, the target or end-used wants ONLY that, as far as I know after my last communication with the client.

Perhaps, it is time for me to enroll with the 'ordre des traducteurs' for the Arabic/English pair .

All in all, I got the doc sweared today and sent it to client.

Regards
Collapse

Jean-Gabriel Piette
Jean-Gabriel Piette  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
commissaire à l'assermentation Feb 2, 2012

I had to produce sworn translation for a transcript. A "commissaire à l'assermentation" is all it takes for non-C.tr... And it merely states that you are the translator and that you translated faithfully and entirely the original contents.
Notaries are commissaires à l'assermentation, but if it worths the expense, you can ask a colleague or a "professionnal friend" to get the "commission" and it simplifies things too...

Fouad El karnichi
Canada
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 5, 2012

Many thanks Jean- Gabriel. It is sorted now.

take care
Fouad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comment jurer une traduction si j'habite a Québec? ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »