https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_canada/211151-can_a_spanish_sworn_translator_make_a_translation_for_the_canadian_embassy.html&phpv_redirected=1

Can a Spanish sworn translator make a translation for the Canadian embassy?
Thread poster: transpania
transpania
transpania
English to Spanish
Nov 2, 2011

I am a Spanish sworn translator and I have a doubt regarding the territories where I am authorized to make my translations. I have a client who has sent me some documents to translate, and he needs these translations to be sumbitted to the Canadian embassy. I am not sure if they are going to accept the sworn translations made by a Spanish translator, since I am supposed to be authorized to make both direct and inverse translations, but just within the Spanish territory.

I would be r
... See more
I am a Spanish sworn translator and I have a doubt regarding the territories where I am authorized to make my translations. I have a client who has sent me some documents to translate, and he needs these translations to be sumbitted to the Canadian embassy. I am not sure if they are going to accept the sworn translations made by a Spanish translator, since I am supposed to be authorized to make both direct and inverse translations, but just within the Spanish territory.

I would be really grateful if someone could give me some advice.

Thanks,

Olga
Collapse

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:02
Polish to English
+ ...
Check at the Embassy Nov 3, 2011

Hi,
The best option would be to check with the Embassy itself. It will all depend what are the documents for and what are the requirements with regard to a translator.
For example: Polish consulate in Toronto requires the translations to be done by translator certified in Canada; for some documents, however, they require translation by a sworn translator (sworn in Poland), or translation by a translator certified in Canada and then confirmed by a sworn translator.

Regard
... See more
Hi,
The best option would be to check with the Embassy itself. It will all depend what are the documents for and what are the requirements with regard to a translator.
For example: Polish consulate in Toronto requires the translations to be done by translator certified in Canada; for some documents, however, they require translation by a sworn translator (sworn in Poland), or translation by a translator certified in Canada and then confirmed by a sworn translator.

Regards,
Ewa
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
No apto Nov 3, 2011

transpania wrote:

I am a Spanish sworn translator a... I am not sure if they are going to accept the sworn translations made by a Spanish translator, since I am supposed to be authorized to make both direct and inverse translations, but just within the Spanish territory.

Olga

I can only offer my own subjective opinion here. I'm afraid that "supposed to be authorized" sums up for me the wholly spurious notion that possessing a certificate as "traductor/a jurado/a imbues the "sworn" document with any kind of quality seal.

Whether they will simply accept any old translation as long as it's "sworn" is moot. If you are authorized to translate the 2 languages concerned both ways within the Spanish territory, I'd imagine that the decision to accept similar services would be up to the discretion of the pertinent Canadian authority. In Spain, my advice would be to go ahead, stamp the documents and hope for the best but Canada may not be quite so flexible!

The main issue for me is the quality and integrity of the translation, which I believe should be done by a competent native speaker of the target language in cases where such certification is legally required.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can a Spanish sworn translator make a translation for the Canadian embassy?

Translation news in Canada

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »