Best/most recognized Canada-based distance education programs
Thread poster: Daniel Hill (X)
Daniel Hill (X)
Daniel Hill (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:49
French to English
Mar 20, 2011

Hello everyone! I'm establishing myself as a freelance FR>EN translator, and have received a few jobs here and there in the last year. However they've been few and very far between, too much so to call it my actual job.

I've noticed that a fair amount of postings ask for candidates with degrees/certifications. I've been strongly considering trying to peruse this by distance education. But before I put in potentially thousands of dollars into such a thing, I thought I would do a lit
... See more
Hello everyone! I'm establishing myself as a freelance FR>EN translator, and have received a few jobs here and there in the last year. However they've been few and very far between, too much so to call it my actual job.

I've noticed that a fair amount of postings ask for candidates with degrees/certifications. I've been strongly considering trying to peruse this by distance education. But before I put in potentially thousands of dollars into such a thing, I thought I would do a little research as to what programs are actually recognized by the industry, ProZ, etc. Since I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and am looking at the common French>English pair of this country, I thought I would limit myself to Canadian based schools...

Any ideas, personal experiences, and so on would be greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
ATINS.. Mar 20, 2011

..is your translator's association in Nova Scotia. They are the organization that provides and manages certifications in your province, but not education. Still, they'll probably be able to get you on the right track. I'm saying "probably", because the STIBC here in BC seemed all but unable to help someone like you a few years ago, but they have gotten their act together.

So try ther
... See more
..is your translator's association in Nova Scotia. They are the organization that provides and manages certifications in your province, but not education. Still, they'll probably be able to get you on the right track. I'm saying "probably", because the STIBC here in BC seemed all but unable to help someone like you a few years ago, but they have gotten their act together.

So try there first: http://www.atins.org/ .

[Edited at 2011-03-21 04:06 GMT]
Collapse

Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:49
Arabic to English
+ ...
The Online certificate or BA at SAINT BONIFACE University College Mar 21, 2011

You may try the above mentioned programme.It is quite an interesting .

Check the following link:

http://www.ustboniface.mb.ca/su/coursparinternet/index.shtml

cheers

Fouad

Daniel Hill (X)
Daniel Hill (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:49
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 21, 2011

Thank you friend! Do you have any personal experience with this program?

Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:49
Arabic to English
+ ...
no probs! Mar 21, 2011

As far as am conserned , I think this programme is one of the few good online courses on translation -apart from the online courses on localisation at Concordia and Outaoui Unis.

I took a look at the programme and its promissing.

Check it out.

Thanks

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:49
English to French
+ ...
Loved it Mar 21, 2011

I did the Certificate and I was very satisfied with the courses, the teachers and the program in general. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious online course in Translation. Various aspects are covered, from CAT tools to Terminology.

However, please note that while a few courses are in the FR>EN language pair, the vast majority of the courses are in the EN>FR language pair, and the main teaching language is French. This can become a problem if you don't have a strong
... See more
I did the Certificate and I was very satisfied with the courses, the teachers and the program in general. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious online course in Translation. Various aspects are covered, from CAT tools to Terminology.

However, please note that while a few courses are in the FR>EN language pair, the vast majority of the courses are in the EN>FR language pair, and the main teaching language is French. This can become a problem if you don't have a strong active knowledge of French, or if you are not bilingual. I still managed to survive the courses into English even though it's not my mother tongue, but they were considerably more difficult for me than the French courses, and I had to invest much more time into them.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best/most recognized Canada-based distance education programs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »