https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_canada/190277-rate_for_translations_of_birth_death_marriage_certificates_in_canada.html&phpv_redirected=1

Rate for translations of birth/ death/ marriage certificates in Canada
Thread poster: islander1974
islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2011

Hi guys: I know rates vary for translation of certificates, but what is the typical rate for these certificates - both just an ordinary translation and a "certified" one...? Particularly interested in common language pairs like French to English.

Thanks!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
It really varies Jan 24, 2011

For simple one-page certificates, such as birth or marriage certificates, driver's licences etc. I charge my minimum rate, i.e. one hour. I have made templates for most of these documents and it usually does not take more than an hour, including certification, invoice, etc. But my clients have told me that some agencies charge double or even triple that amount. I just don't feel I should charge a lot of money to ordinary people who have just arrived in Canada and may not even have a job yet.

Tom Ellett (X)
Tom Ellett (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:37
Norwegian to English
+ ...
$100 minimum for certified translations Jan 24, 2011

I have a minimum fee of $100 for certified translations from Norwegian and Swedish to English. Because of recent problems with Canada Post, I now quote clients a minimum of $120, including delivery by trackable express mail, and let them opt out of the extra $20 if they choose to take the risk of using regular mail.

Although birth certificates and the like don't contain many words, approximating the layout, deciphering handwriting and abbreviations, printing out and certifying a har
... See more
I have a minimum fee of $100 for certified translations from Norwegian and Swedish to English. Because of recent problems with Canada Post, I now quote clients a minimum of $120, including delivery by trackable express mail, and let them opt out of the extra $20 if they choose to take the risk of using regular mail.

Although birth certificates and the like don't contain many words, approximating the layout, deciphering handwriting and abbreviations, printing out and certifying a hard copy, and taking it to the post office is all very time-consuming. I wouldn't charge any less if I worked in a more common language pair like French–English.

Oh, and I insist on payment up front via PayPal.
Collapse

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know what you mean Jan 24, 2011

Some people really exploit the situation!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for translations of birth/ death/ marriage certificates in Canada

Translation news in Canada

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »