arcanjp
arcanjp
Canada
Local time: 11:19
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2011

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, please bear with me. I've been browsing the site for quite a while and found lots of good info, so first of all, thank you for making such a great portal

A little about me: I'm currently residing in Japan but next year I plan to move to Canada (Toronto). At present, besides having a full-time job in HR, I work as a freelance translator, mainly doing Japanese English and Japan
... See more
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, please bear with me. I've been browsing the site for quite a while and found lots of good info, so first of all, thank you for making such a great portal

A little about me: I'm currently residing in Japan but next year I plan to move to Canada (Toronto). At present, besides having a full-time job in HR, I work as a freelance translator, mainly doing Japanese English and Japanese < > Spanish translations. I also do English Spanish when there's a request.

When I move to Canada, I'm thinking of studying at the University of Toronto to obtain the Certificate in Translation (English-Spanish), and also work towards getting ATIO's certification as a translator.

I have the following questions:
- Is it advisable to do get both certificates? (I guess it is, but I'd like to hear from people already in the industry in Toronto)
- Furthermore, do I also need CTTIC's certificate?
- How prestigious /well-recognized is U of T's Certificate in Translation?
- Is there any place I can find Translators' sample CVs adapted to Canadian standards?

That's all for now.

Thanks for your time and advice!
Collapse

Soula Kokotinis
Soula Kokotinis
Canada
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
These are 2 different credentials Jan 23, 2011

Hi there and welcome! I am relatively new here as a member as well but I have been around the translation world for quite some time.

While I am not closely familiar with the Translation Certificate from U of T (I got my BA in Translation from York) I would imagine it is either a degree or certificate at a post graduate level and a good foundation from which to build your career.

The ATIO certification is a credential that earns you the protected title of "Certified T
... See more
Hi there and welcome! I am relatively new here as a member as well but I have been around the translation world for quite some time.

While I am not closely familiar with the Translation Certificate from U of T (I got my BA in Translation from York) I would imagine it is either a degree or certificate at a post graduate level and a good foundation from which to build your career.

The ATIO certification is a credential that earns you the protected title of "Certified Translator" in Ontario and holds your work to a certain standard in quality and ethics while also allowing you to translate documents that require certification.

CTTIC certification is gained by virtue of your ATIO certification as ATIO is member of CTTIC. I don't believe CTTIC certifies individuals.

I feel that both credentials have been useful to me in my career and would be to you as well depending on how you plan on moving ahead.

I recommend settling in and getting a feel for the market in your language combinations and deciding from there.

Good luck!
Collapse

arcanjp
arcanjp
Canada
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jan 24, 2011

Hi SoulaR,
thanks a lot for your reply!

I was referring to this "CTTIC certification":
http://www.cttic.org/certification.asp

Anyway, I'll focus on U of T's and ATIO's certificates first. Those will keep me busy for some time after settling in!

Kind regards!

Maria Melnik
Maria Melnik  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
UfT certificate Jan 29, 2011

Welcome to the board and to Toronto!

I have switched to freelance translation after my first child was born (used to work as full-time translator and copywriter for an advertising agency) to be able to work from home. I had a graduate degree in linguistics but no formal credentials in translation. So I decided to get the UfT certificate. It is a non-degree program which takes 1 year. Some clients ask about my credentials, most don't but I am still glad I have this certificate.
... See more
Welcome to the board and to Toronto!

I have switched to freelance translation after my first child was born (used to work as full-time translator and copywriter for an advertising agency) to be able to work from home. I had a graduate degree in linguistics but no formal credentials in translation. So I decided to get the UfT certificate. It is a non-degree program which takes 1 year. Some clients ask about my credentials, most don't but I am still glad I have this certificate.

As for the ATIO certification, it depends on your goals. I am not interested in a full-time position nor in translating formal documentation. My main fields are Medicine, IT and Marketing. I also might switch back to copywriting when my children get older. So, in my particular case, it makes no sense to get it. However, in your case, it might actually be useful.

[Edited at 2011-01-29 20:37 GMT]
Collapse

arcanjp
arcanjp
Canada
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci ! Jan 31, 2011

Hi Maria,
Thank you for your reply as well !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

U of T's Certificate in Translation & other queries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »